-
Posts
1,327 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
23
Everything posted by 1Q84
-
What to Wear to a Campus Visit
1Q84 replied to fancypants09's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Legit lolled in bed when I saw this. As for modern-day dress, for the guys I think the new "dressy casual" is the nice sweater with dark blue, fitted jeans (as opposed to the somewhat dated polo with khakis). Seems like a standard go-to. I guess khakis could still substitute in and not look too formal. I normally wear this kind of outfit to teach or just a button-down but I think I would avoid a button-down for a campus visit. It feels stuffy. -
<big hug> Hang in there. I know it may not seem bleak now but you have 5 more schools to hear from!
-
Dear Digital Humanists...
1Q84 replied to lazaria's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Oy! How did I forget? Alan Liu at UC Santa Barbara is also a huge name and does a lot of work in DH. -
Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Ooooh... wait list for NYU posted. Sad to see I didn't get the email -
Acceptance Statistics 2015 - Request
1Q84 replied to hypervodka's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Thanks for starting this, hypervodka! Is incomplete data okay? If so: USC English Lit - 8 acceptances sent out of ? total applicants. Though I have been told by several POI there that in previous years they sent out only 3-4 acceptances on average. -
Negotiating Offers
1Q84 replied to thepriorwalter's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
A prof emailed me out of the blue and offered me more money. I suppose he was preempting my forthcoming negotiations? I haven't contacted him since before I submitted my apps so this was a happy surprise. It's really, really not much (not substantial enough to pay a month's rent, let's say) but I think I'll take it as a positive sign that they want me. Edit: I read this back and I realize it may read like I'm boasting, which I didn't intend. Was just hoping to provide an example of informal "negotiations" that occur outside of discussions with the DGS. -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
1Q84 replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Woohoo! You rock! -
It's too bad they just wanted a chance to pump Dre's Pill speakers or whatever it was... which they did in the Anaconda vid as well. Definitely glad she's back to her rap roots too. I really was hoping that Reloaded would sound like Roman in Moscow because that would've been amazing (still not sure why that single was inexplicably cut from the album either). Man. I would love to have the opportunity to write a paper on Nicki Minaj.
-
Dear Digital Humanists...
1Q84 replied to lazaria's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
University of Toronto has some strong resources in DH. They even have a Cornell-Toronto DH Consortium or other. -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
1Q84 replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Hooray Hannalore! Life has such a funny way of surprising us... and sounds like you got a super hefty load of funding too. So amazing! -
Well, if I had my acceptance revoked, I'd say some pretty cringe-worthy things too. That's just messed up.
-
Sending you hugs, TeaOverCoffee! As the refrain goes around here, it ain't over til it's over. You really have no idea what may come of your last 5 applications, so don't start beating yourself up needlessly yet (I know, easier said than done). 100% agreed. Couldn't be happier with my MA program and I feel a million times more prepared for a Ph.D. program now for the same reasons: learned "the language" and expanded so much my own breadth of interest and knowledge. I finally established my love of cultural studies and couldn't be happier! Unless anyone here is on a super tight timeline to get into a Ph.D. program and done, I would be very happy with an MA acceptance!
-
Okay, I'm ready for Tuesday to be here
-
Thanks, you two! That's a good way of looking at it. I'm certainly glad it wasn't just an email in 60pt font saying NO. Wow, thank you, Wyatt for the personal story (and reminder of a time when SASEs were a thing)! Your perseverance certainly puts my one measly rejection into perspective. I think I'll take up your idea and start a box. It might be nice to look back on it in the future with a rueful smile!
-
Thanks for the kind words, y'all. It's the top journal in Milton studies, yes, and typically only publishes doctorate holders so I'm not quite sure what I was thinking submitting there and hoping for an acceptance! The rock star editor had very kind words, though, and said that both readers endorsed and were excited by the general idea behind my paper, which was slightly comforting. On the other hand, it was distinctly not a "revise and resubmit," which hurts. You guys are right about rejections not defining me as a candidate but it definitely shook my world view up a bit (and still currently is a bit). Definitely a good chance to grow a thicker skin. That said, I'm still going to stick the (extensive) reader's notes in a drawer somewhere and give myself time to cry into a tub of ice cream.
-
Guess this is an appropriate place to post: I got my first rejection from a journal publication I sent out late last year. I kinda knew it was coming but it came at a bad time I think. I feel completely demotivated for everything and even unsure if I can hack it in a Ph.D. program. On the plus side, it's made me less eager to refresh and check the results board/email :/
-
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
1Q84 replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Congrats all new admits! Happy for your holiday-timed acceptances. Meanwhile I'm over here like -
Some perhaps dumb questions: 1. I keep seeing talk about recently hired "rock stars." Can someone tell me who these profs are? I, unfortunately, am not one who keeps abreast of a wide-breadth of rock star scholars (I tend to only know the really big names or ones who are big in my field). 2. It looks like sci-fi and technoculture is a speciality of the department. Is that considered UCR's "specialty" among the UCs?
-
To your first point, I had a student this semester "advise" me twice about my teaching practice, once in my office and once in front of the entire class. So it's not outside the realm of the possible... my student clearly has some interpersonal quirks so I didn't take it personally. He's also prone to outbursts with other students too, though, so he's been a case that I've been working on a lot lately. In terms of the TA, I think it's actually that student's condescending advice that (understandably) got her a little too heated for the rest of the conversation. The TA changed the course of the conversation for the worse though when she stepped outside of the philosophical discussion about Rawls' principle. The bolded part in the Atlantic article is quite important: and then later Obviously, being gay myself, I disagree with the student's basic argument (and I would argue that it was deliberately specious in order to provoke the TA) but I don't think the TA should have taken the bait or engaged with said argument outside of the bounds of the philosophical debate (Rawl's principle). By dictating what opinions he may or may not express by stating that it would be homophobic and against class rules, she played right into McAdam's hands. I don't think the student did anything wrong, technically, other than perhaps deliberately presenting an easily-discreditable opinion.
-
Negotiating Offers
1Q84 replied to thepriorwalter's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
A good reminder. However, my big fear (that is, if and when I will be in the position to negotiate) is that I come off as crass or grasping. I'm reminded that I will be working with these people for the next 5-6 years, so I don't want to make a bad first impression by pushing money matters too far. Anyone have any thoughts on that? -
Fall 2015 Acceptances (!)
1Q84 replied to hreaðemus's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Congrats to those lucky folks getting the Tufts admits! -
I was expecting more push back (a la the author of that Atlantic article) on TGC! Surprised we all pretty much agree. Whoa. I did not know McAdams was the student's advisor. That's messed up... wouldn't be surprised if the guy walked him through the whole ploy. Clearly he had some axe to grind with the TA. I thought it was interesting that other professors were quoted as saying McAdam's firing will have a "chilling effect" on bringing other faculty to the university. There's an interesting case about the Holocaust-denying professor at Cal State Long Beach. He couches all the anti-semitic beliefs in "historical research" and somehow that's protected him from dismissal because then it does become a matter of academic freedom. I wonder if his extracurricular white supremacist activities would qualify him for breaking some code of ethics then. Folks in Canada were recently astir because of this white supremacist professor couching his xenophobia in academic "research" as well. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/unb-defends-prof-s-academic-freedom-in-wake-of-racism-complaint-1.2892206 Seems like it's a fine line that McAdams crossed with shitty behavior.
-
I would rather sort a school under "implied rejection" and then be happily taken aback at a later date. Like UCI. Just looked and historically they notify rejects early March. What the heck!
-
This was really awesome. Thanks for posting it! Yeah Pills definitely disappointed me... it definitely doesn't match up to the pop ballads she had on Pink Friday (thinking Right Thru Me). Will have to give it another listen, though... I really liked Only but was not pleased with the inclusion of Brown. As for another album on heavy rotation: (History of Touches, Quicksand, and Black Lake are all solid) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ACtMLtMOg
