Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. kitchen nightmares
  2. You're awesome, queennight! Here's gif mania -- DRAG RACE EDITION (thank you onlycoffeeiscertain for opening the library!) What everyone in my life who isn't going through this process has been telling me: My response: What I look like thinking about getting into any of my dream schools: How I think I'll probably look when I get my results:
  3. For my own sanity, I gotta believe USC won't send notifications on the Sunday of a long weekend!
  4. Welcome back! I find it interesting that you contrast these two outlooks on sexuality in academia. Besides the fact that I can't imagine working in a "space where my ersonal feelings and identities can get a chance to be irrelevant," I think there's definitely room to exist between the two extremities of "always seeking pity/going on about one's oppression" and eradicating identity from one's work. Either way, I'm so happy to hear about so many different viewpoints and ways of dealing with one's sexuality in academia! So enlightening.
  5. yours truly
  6. Hot Fuzz
  7. Interesting. I didn't get any "oppression Olympics" in this thread so I'm going to answer in the same way that I would have before reading other people's responses. I have serious money issues in my family: one parent is disabled and can't work, the other was laid off after 20 years at the same company. Not asking for pity, but it's been tough to always be on one's own funding wise. I also can't work in the US because I'm an international student, thus no second job. I'm extremely lucky to have a partner who acts as a personal loan bank when my measly stipend runs out and until my next disbursement comes out. I'm not eligible for any fee waivers as an international student, so those fees + GRE fees + transcript fees puts me well above $1000 for 9 schools. I honestly wanted to apply to more but just didn't have the money for it. Do I hope schools take this into consideration? Definitely. I honestly don't think that this has anything to do with "pity me!" or "I'm the most oppressed!" (or at least it shouldn't be) but really just giving fair consideration to applicants who had a rough go of even making it to the application stage. I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post.
  8. I would stress very strongly that your advice applies only to R1 schools and other research-focused schools. I know many other universities that offer (unofficial) "teaching emphasis" options in their Ph.D. programs, so a candidate with that interest applying to those schools would be well-served by mentioning their teaching experience in their SOP.
  9. ball / chain Edit: happy jujubea?
  10. Two weeks! Two weeks! TWO WEEKS until possible news!

    1. queennight

      queennight

      i know. but at least it's all coming up soon!

    2. 1Q84

      1Q84

      Indeed! This was a celebratory status ;)

  11. No! Will look into. Thanks. Actually have been wanting to include Baldwin in the list so thanks for the reminder! I am. I thought I was the only fruit in the bunch. Now I'm thinking this cohort in one room would look like this:
  12. Reading Gaol
  13. Seriously. How about a place we did apply!? (I am joking of course).
  14. Temple acceptance posted...
  15. I would say I'm similar in this respect except that I'm Asian, so that complicates matters. Not that my mom makes blowjob jokes or anything... she actually was very upset about it and still doesn't talk about it. But I was not "out" in high school or even undergrad, so I never faced any persecution for my sexuality. Even when I came out, all my friends were fine with it. That's not to say I haven't faced discrimination or hatred from the general public, however.... I think Sex in Public is crucial and necessary reading. If anyone is looking to get into queer theory, this is a great place to start. I do think that Warner has more than a few blindspots when it comes to race and class, though, but I think other POC have offered correctives on that. I'm currently putting together a reading list for my MA capstone and am soliciting suggestions for queer readings related to family and marriage. Thank you to bgt for the Weston suggestion--just picked it up at the library today!
  16. I want something to check but I don't even have anything left to check. Give me a application play-by-play status page or something, people!
  17. I would wait until decisions come out to avoid any instances of "over thanking." I would want whatever gesture I make to be appropriate to the outcome. Not that I appreciate the LOR any less if I don't get in anywhere but a card may suffice in one instance while a bottle of wine may be appropriate for another. (Wine being appropriate for the professors I see that keep a few bottles in their office at all times.)
  18. Columbia's MA is unfunded as well, from what I recall, and definitely not worth attending for the same reasons lyonessrampant mentioned above.
  19. Yes, that's why I was questioning if it was real or not. Seems pretty egregiously early.
  20. Whoa... is the Urbana acceptance real? Anyone want to claim that?
  21. Count me in. I'm really, really hoping for word back by end of January (from my top choice) to put me out of my misery! I honestly don't think I can make it until end of February with no news.
  22. Interesting! http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/01/12/applications-to-ucla-up-by-6-5-percent/ I wonder if there's traditionally any correlation between undergraduate and graduate application numbers.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use