Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. I haven't, Wyatt, but it looks fantastic. I don't know if it relates to my paper at this point (it's on Paradise Lost, yet again) but definitely for my interests in race and queerness for other research projects. Thanks! Looking her work up has also reminded me that I need to get on more Berlant.
  2. You don't know how excited I am for February! Ahem... Back to what I'm reading: I'm still working on a paper myself concerning the affect of shame. Lots of Tomkins and Sedgwick on my desk.
  3. Thanks for feedback, folks! I suspected as much but I definitely want to show that at least I'm "putting myself out there," so to speak. Definitely wish I had a solid actual-publication to put under my belt but thems the breaks I guess. It's too bad too 1Q84 was terrible Really liked Colorless Tsukuru though.
  4. I'm hoping that this is the case. I feel like we could all use the luck! I'm not sure where to put this question so I thought instead of starting a new thread, I'd put it here: I know generally candidates are generally not expected to have published before their Ph.D. but I have a manuscript in circulation (has been distributed to readers) at one of two most prestigious journals in my field (side note: it's actually quite terrifying knowing that the the Fishes and Lewalskis of the world may be thumbing through my paper at this moment). Anyway, I'm wondering if this is seen as a "plus" on my application or if it is relatively inconsequential, since it obviously hasn't been accepted to publish yet.
  5. What's worse is that the government has been very successful in turning the majority of HK people against the protesters. I'm always so angry when I see the number of people cheering the dismantling or arrests of protesters there. And it's always the same reasons (as I've seen with people complaining about protesters in LA): " but they're in my way."
  6. To paint with broad strokes, comparative literature programs require that you work with and between literature in more than one language. It can be English and [insert other languages] but some schools that have comparative lit departments less affiliated with the Department of English focus more on non-English texts.
  7. Sooo.... is that Harvard Literature acceptance in the Results Search for real?
  8. Be careful that you don't get too involved with this type of "drama." You never know who is talking to who when it comes to interpersonal situations like this. In her eyes, it could be taken as you starting trouble with her by talking about her to other people in the department.
  9. I don't think you should feel guilty or selfish for taking care of yourself in your situation. I think at times some activists lose sight of regular folk's daily concerns such as jobs, family concerns, and paying the bills. At the same time, since your campus purports to be "activist" leaning, maybe you can seek out some related campus organizations. Maybe they haven't planned any action or events because of similar circumstances as yours but it might help to just get together and talk about what's going on so you all don't feel so isolated. Remember that even talking about the matter among like-minded people is contributing to "the cause" by raising awareness and even maybe coming up with grassroots solutions for your own community further down the road. Activism does not always equal holding a sign at a rally and vice versa. Heck, I know lots of people joining the "Millions March" in NYC happening soon and they don't give a crap about the cause. I think in the end it's important to recognize that being concerned about this whole thing while you have a whole lot of personal concerns is ten steps ahead of many more apathetic Americans. Good luck!
  10. Welp. There goes the Stanford app and $125! I very much expect moths to come fluttering out of my wallet any minute now...
  11. Argh. Currently in freak out mode as some that I've contacted now have said the latter. Really hoping I can work with the admin to get it replaced with something that falls within guidelines.
  12. Ah okay. Sorry, I was unaware that I am required to only tell OP what he or she wanted to hear. The title reads, "Thinking about quitting..." and the post itself begins, "Hi, I need some advice...". Not sure how you'd interpret that but since you seem to be able to read OP's mind concerning whatever advice he or she is asking for, I'll leave it to you, bud. OP, sorry to hijack your thread and sorry for the (apparently unsolicited) advice.
  13. As I said, I would have offered the same statement for any unfunded humanities degree. You can feel free to keep harping on my supposed negativity if you like. Maybe that's helping you through the end of this semester? Whatever it is, good luck.
  14. Listen, I don't know what kind of chip you have on your shoulder concerning unfunded humanities degrees but from what I can tell, it's a doozy. Nowhere did I call OP an idiot. Nowhere did a "talk down" to him or her. In my honest opinion, the best advice that folks can get in response to "should I quit?" threads is: think very carefully about your finances, especially if you're taking on an unfunded degree. I would give that advice to anyone--yes, gasp, even an English Lit student. Before you get more huffy, please go back and read what I actually said instead of reading condescension into my advice. Thanks.
  15. $30k is not much for a humanities degree? Jesus. What world are you living in? And you actually have no idea what my plans are after my Ph.D. If I were planning to pursue an unfunded Ph.D. and then live off adjunct pay afterwards, then by all means, judge away. As of now, you're just making yourself look bad. That's kind of my point. But I guess victorydance has a bone to pick.
  16. I think it's a pretty safe assumption, if this is taking place in America. Even if no debt occurs, paying for an MFA out of pocket is almost-always an unwise use of funds unless one has a concrete position lined up afterwards. Even then, it's probably not a good idea.
  17. I had to convert one of my MLA manuscripts to Chicago this past summer. It was painful at first but very rewarding after. I love endnotes now! <sips kool-aid>
  18. I was going to suggest toughing it out to get past these "leveling classes." You don't know what the actual MFA will be like yet, do you? It could afford you more freedom, treat you more maturely, etc. I would say most of those things you're upset about are transitory. That being said, when I got to your last paragraph I kind of winced. Paying for an MFA strikes me as a distinctly bad idea. I have no idea what the job market is like for college art teaching positions but I can't imagine it's any better than for Writing Instructors. Debt, while transitory as well, is a hell of a lot harder to deal with than condescending instructors. I would do a lot more research about job prospects before you continue on this path. Good luck!
  19. You should inquire as to whether there is an agreement between departments where if one feels that you're not the right fit for them, they can pass it on to the other department. Cuts down on apps for you and would avoid any confusion. I know Stanford and Columbia do this (but for literature).
  20. I'm so glad you said this. I've been having weird anxieties now that I've submitted four apps about how inadequate my WS is (how it could be better/more complete if I had more time, etc.) and knowing the adcomm's could pick it to pieces has been getting to me. I do have some faith in it showing my potential, though, which is the best I can hope for at this point. Now what I'm going to tell myself is that I can only put my best foot forward, not my perfect foot.
  21. I too was surprised at Leviathan's accessibility! Milton could've learned a thing or two, I think... My pleasure reading right now is Rey Chow's Sentimental Fabulations. What a great book. I can't recommend it enough. It's like talking to a nerdy theory friend about my favorite Chinese movies.
  22. Congrats! What an accomplishment... 17 apps. Go chug a beer or something!
  23. Oh jeez. One program told me that page count does not include notes and bibliography so I assumed that this was standard across all programs. These recent posts are now making me second guess myself.
  24. Ooohh I've been reading Spy in the House of Love on and off for a while now (it's very short but it's one that I just pick up whenever I have spare time--that is to say, not often). It's taking a while for me to get used to her style, but it's great in its frankness.
  25. Just tell your friend to keep the "blowing smoke" portion of the interview metaphorical and she'll be fine In all seriousness, if the patch proves inadequate for her, e-cigarettes with vaporized nicotine have done wonders for some friends of mine as well. I just tried it out for a bit recently and it doesn't leave any smell. Would look silly on campus with it, though.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use