Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. People who leave the cap off whiteboard markers. Is it that hard to put the cap back on each time after you use it? Just leaving the cap off ONCE on a brand new marker ruins it completely. AGH! Whenever I go into a classroom and see one sitting in the tray with the cap off, I get a mini-stroke.
  2. This. When I'm neurotically trawling through results, I find seeing the outliers as both more positive for my morale and informative about my chances. I think one way of counteracting this--and I've seen it in some people's entries-- is to enter some of the more subjective aspects of one's acceptance (if known) in the written field (eg. "POI said good fit," "Received compliments on WS," etc.) That data plus the hard number data combined would probably lend greatly to what hreaðemus is talking about.
  3. Just wanted to thank you for this recommendation. It's blowing my mind wide open and has changed my research trajectory significantly!
  4. I think this is a great way to approach all graduate education as well. A great reminder to be humble about one's knowledge. Interesting! Was the professor referring to your walkout or to the loudmouth? And, I should note (and looking back, I guess I didn't) you're right in that there's only 2-4 disrespectful students while there are also a bunch of chill, thoughtful, and friendly philosophy students in there too.
  5. I am not female but a few of my female colleagues have run into just somewhat similar troubles. Two examples (from the same colleague): for a while, male students would break rules of varying seriousness and then simply wink at her, thinking they're being charming and that flirting with her would be cause for a pass. She was understandably freaked out by this and consulted a supervisor. Another time, a male student was very touchy with her and would always touch her arm when trying to finesse an accommodation. Again, she was freaked out and consulted a supervisor. Each time she was advised to be firm and remind the students of the inappropriateness of their behavior as well as the rules of the college. I thought one of the most useful tactics was the appeal to authority--remind students that the syllabus acts as a contract: upon entering the class, students agree to abide by those rules to the letter. So any time students get weasly, you can point to the "letter of the law," so to speak, which tends to make any (often male) students less willing to try to continue the smooth talk/arguing schtick.
  6. It's my main (and sometimes only) food group!
  7. Wow! Thanks for all the great feedback, folks. As to what overoverover said, I'm definitely not trying to pathologize philosophy students or call names. More like I'm trying to understand the norms of the discipline better so that I can contribute in this weird hybrid of a course. I'll definitely try to point to the text more, which should help draw the discussion back from (in my mind) pointless tangential comments. Will keep everyone updated but would love to hear more thoughts as well!
  8. So, I'm from the English forum but thought I'd peek in here to see if anyone could offer some insight into a problem I've been experiencing: I'm currently in a graduate level Marx class in my MA program. Interestingly, it's been cross-listed with the philosophy department so the lit students (even though it's technically offered by the English department) are actually outnumbered by the philosophy ones. Anyway, I don't have much philosophy reading under my belt but more importantly, I don't have any experience interacting with philosophy students in an academic way. So our first two classes have been rough for me because it was a) dominated by very outspoken, brash and (frankly, in my opinion, rude) philosophy students who wanted to cram their point down everyone's throats and those who keep sidetracking the discussion into minutiae of philosopher biography or semantics. I haven't been able to contribute much because I don't know how or am unfamiliar with the really obscure philosophy that they're bringing up. I don't want to say anything because I might be asking an extremely elementary question that all philosophy students learned when they were in freshman year. I don't blame these other students because from what I gather, this is how most philosophy classes operate. The strong assertions, even the "you said x, do you mean y?" type of comments. I see it as my problem... a "discipline shock," so to speak, because that's not how many literature classes operate. I do very much want to better myself and be able to function in this type of environment, though. Any philosophers here have any advice on how I can better contribute and offer my usually-uninformed opinion? Is there a better way I can phrase my questions or comments that might go over better with these students? tl;dr how do I contribute to philosophy discussions without looking like a jackass? Thanks!
  9. Hahaha amazing. Me when I rush to the computer after an email notification to find it's only spam:
  10. I'm officially freaking out seeing as last year Stanford and Berkeley started notifying January 31st. THAT'S ONE WEEK FROM TODAY (assuming they do Friday notifications.) Edit: assuming those results are not fake-outs.
  11. You'll do amazingly! Congrats (oh, I thought the interview was for acceptance but I see in the results board it's for a fellowship and you already have acceptance? Double congrats!!)
  12. For the Halberstam fans, just thought I'd put this here as they combine my two (or three, including the Last Bookstore) loves into one beautiful video: http://www.ifc.com/portlandia/videos/exclusive-women-and-women-first-debate-in-downtown-la
  13. I understand the feeling though... seeing acceptances rolling in for schools I didn't even apply to is stressful in and of itself! (And thanks! I see there's a user called YoungFoucault with the same picture though so I might have to change it... )
  14. picture perfect
  15. Knowing that we have quite a few programs in common and looking at past years notification dates, we won't be receiving any notice until earliest Feb 1!
  16. ^ Upvote for Fox! When people tell me "Oh you'll get in somewhere. You're so smart!": When I get an unwarranted burst of confidence about my chances of acceptance but then reality returns: When I look at my application status page and see "under review:"
  17. Very jealous of you bed readers! I'd be 100% asleep after one sentence. Can't imagine reading in the bath. I'd be terrified of dropping everything. Okay this papasan thing seems like just what I need.
  18. Slightly off topic, but I'm curious as to where everyone does their reading. I've always had trouble finding a comfortable place that I can sit down and read for a while (strange as that seems). I absolutely can't read in bed. I've been reduced mostly to reading at my kitchen table but that chair is a bit uncomfortable. I guess reading in my office is usually the best bet. But I need somewhere at home! Any suggestions?
  19. One of my colleagues drives me up the wall with how much paper she wastes. She'll just print out 10 articles of 20 pages each, use up all the paper and not refill it. Then she'll just dump half of it in the trash (which is right beside the recycling bin, by the way). Or she'll print out 50 pages and then walk off to class and come back, "Oh... wait I printed that? Oh well. Guess I don't need it." I can't stand it. It makes me want to scream! I've been grabbing all her paper and printing my articles and drafts on the back just to make myself feel better. Why the waste?! WHY?!
  20. Agreed to Dr. Who, Supernatural and (may I add) Sherlock. But for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would get annoyed by people reciting Holy Grail quotes verbatim ad nauseum.
  21. Oh gosh. We had termites and cockroaches in our apartment over the summer and just about had it and wanted to move but couldn't because of not being sure where I'll end up so we've been sticking it out until February... I somewhat feel your pain. Best of luck with the search! I know some people in Long Beach too, though, so if it gets really bad, lemme know. Welcome! Sounds like a really great background and set of interests! And feel free to post in the PLACE OF LOLLING if you're a gif fan
  22. I'm getting a lot of this crap even from fellow applicants in my program. It's especially discouraging (and pressure-inducing) when your colleagues think this about your chances of getting into a good program. Thankfully my profs have been providing me with the grounded, worst case scenario, type comments that I've been looking for.
  23. So happy for everyone, especially for getting some early relief
  24. YES. One person in my program just posts BuzzFeed articles and surveys nonstop on Facebook... I DON'T CARE WHICH JANE AUSTEN CHARACTER YOU HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED BY SOME RANDOM INTERNET SURVEY. Thank god for the "Unsubscribe" function in the Newsfeed.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use