-
Posts
1,327 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
23
Everything posted by 1Q84
-
I come from a teaching background so I'm of two minds on this: after teaching 2/2 at my MA school, I firmly believe that such a heavy teaching load is detrimental to my development as a researcher. The course has been so poorly planned and administered (we are mandated to stick to their "common syllabus") that it's just been a nonstop headache of planning and re-planning from Week 1, grading and actual classroom time aside. On the other hand, I don't think I'd mind a 1/1 to keep my mind sharp, as CarolineKS mentioned, but I think I would really only be able to make leaps and bounds in my research with no teaching load. I'd much prefer any school that was able to offer that to me for at least 2-3 years.
-
It also depends on your own personality, too; that is, whether you tend to place a lot of emphasis on physical beauty (however you define such a trait). For example, I know some people who truly don't care about looks in any traditional sense. I also know people who won't even want to talk to an "unattractive" person.
-
So exhausted. I just want to KNOW! Very envious of all who have accepted and finalized their schools for Fall.
-
This one was the "oh fuck" quote for me: Jesus. Is UNC East Germany now or something?
-
Hi there! You're right that the 2.9 might keep you out of the Cal State system and others would probably have more to say about it than me. I know this has been a wonderful resource for those in your GPA range, though: Lots of inspirational stories of success in there!
-
100% agreed. I think, even more troublingly, the "I disagree with the standardized testing industrial complex!" sentiment has contributed in the same way to the "GRE doesn't matter at all!" vibe around here. Just because you hate something doesn't mean it loses its power to hold you back in life. Generally, it certainly is a less important portion of the app but it can also certainly matter quite a bit to some adcomms (at different schools, from year to year). I fully support folks who want to put some more effort into their GRE scores.
-
Thank You Gifts-- Field Specific
1Q84 replied to jhefflol's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Hmmm I'm always paranoid I'll offend a professor with this kind of gift (along the lines of accidentally getting a Yalie alum Princeton merch). I figure I can't offend with alcohol, although I'm not sure if my third recommender drinks... -
Negotiating Offers
1Q84 replied to thepriorwalter's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I'll add to this: I mentioned in passing to a POI during a visit that I was at the top of the wait list for another school (re: not an actual other acceptance) and an hour later, the secretary approached me and said that I should let them know when the offer comes in and they'll try and match it. Hopefully not coming off as braggy but just want to note that it's certainly very possible for increased funding without negotiation. As in, I didn't even try and push for more funding, they just did it of their own volition when I mentioned the other possible offer. Anyone thinking about it, go for it! -
A lot of people will tell you to "unfollow" that colleague on FB so that you're still friends but you won't see any of their updates. That never works for me, because I'm not one of those "out of sight, out of mind" folks. Either way, you can flip the script by thinking of this colleague as insecure in some way and thus boasts to impress a specific person (maybe family or friends who look down on his or her decision to pursue a Ph.D.?). It might help you empathize with your colleague more in some way. Of course, if that's not the case with your colleague's life, I'm not suggesting you should fabricate a story to make you feel better.... but I think often such unmitigated braggadocio behavior is due to that kind of insecurity.
-
Hopefully to alleviate some of that fear and focus solely on tears and laughter, this is basically how I think I sound when I talk to POIs:
-
Your Scholar or Theorist Mt. Rushmore
1Q84 replied to rosales's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Thank you and that would be awesome! Do you know if there's a close relationship between AmStu and English? I recall reading about how taking courses in either department is allowed. -
What is your best Stay Healthy/ Young/ Don't get Fat Grad/Student tip?
1Q84 replied to DrZoe's question in Questions and Answers
This http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/03/18/dr-pepper-the-doctor-of-choice-for-a-104-year-old-woman/ -
Waitlisted at Michigan
1Q84 replied to soundofworm's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
It's probably not necessary to create a thread on this if you already posted about it in the wait list thread. -
Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Good point. I should just go read some Faulkner to keep myself busy and off the boards -
Waiting to Exhale (the wait list thread)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Ermm. I saw the thing on the results board about how Toronto has changed statuses to "Decision Made" and will be sending out letters. I am on their wait list... but I can't imagine they're sending out a letter to confirm that with me. Does it mean that they've taken everyone off the wait list that they can and are sending out rejections now? -
The director was probably just peeved that a majority of UK schools don't guarantee funding, forcing their admits to spend an inordinate amount of time securing financial stability instead of actually getting research/coursework done.
-
The answer: super badly. I already described it in the GRE thread from this past cycle so excuse my repetition but basically: our testing room was beside an outdoor frat concert. The bass literally shook the walls of the room as we wrote. After an hour and a half of that, an elementary school play day appeared in its place and we had screaming children right outside the room. (This is not to mention that they started the test an hour late because they had to 'wait to fill up the room'; if I didn't feel like livestock before then, I certainly did at that point. I was stressed as hell over getting a parking ticket since the maximum time we were allowed to buy was not covered by the testing time with the addition of the one hour of waiting).
-
Your Scholar or Theorist Mt. Rushmore
1Q84 replied to rosales's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Whoa! Are you me? I'd add Judith Halberstam in the place of Benjamin, personally. And the two Gayatris (Spivak, Gopinath). Oh and Lisa Lowe! -
Gah I wish I could give my free retest for the subject test to one of you.
-
Congrats on the big decision! It certainly sounds like it'll be much better for your immediate mental well-being. My sister was doing her Ph.D. at a prestigious UK university in the sciences and ended up with a Masters as well because she ended up really hating the atmosphere. She took a long break and went out into the world, worked, etc. and now is going for a Ph.D. in Germany! So yes, breaks from academia are healthy and wonderful. Good luck finishing up the MSc!
