Jump to content

1Q84

Members
  • Posts

    1,327
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    23

Everything posted by 1Q84

  1. Am having the most difficult time finishing this MA thesis....

    1. windrainfireandbooks

      windrainfireandbooks

      You are so close! You can do it! And then you are going to go and be a rockstar at USC!

    2. 1Q84

      1Q84

      Thank you!!! :)

      Writing 18 pages in three days has my head spinning but... yes, almost there!

  2. Just paid $80 for mine too different company, though.
  3. YES~! You so deserve it! Congrats, WT Take the money. Take all the money!
  4. Sorry to hear, squankabonk Sending good vibes your way.
  5. A hearty congrats! I'm so jealous that you may possibly get some office space in the Robarts stacks. That has been my dream since I was a wee undergrad! And welcome (by proxy) to the snowy north Not sure if I offered before but feel free to PM me with any questions, in case you don't already have connections in TO.
  6. Is that really the case? I was under the same impression as BLeonard.
  7. But you're missing out on prime pants-shitting research, OP! Glad it all worked out. I'm currently trying to figure out who I should approach as an adviser when the time comes, so this thread has been very helpful! Edit: downvote? Look at OP's title!
  8. Are you actually saying that Girls is better than Broad City and that the former becoming more like the latter is a bad thing? (If you can't tell, I loathe Girls.)
  9. Ditto! Hope you get some news this week!
  10. Also, if you're struggling with making your writing clear and concise, it's never a bad idea to (re)read Strunk and White. I know some people find them dated but it could make for some good reminders about elementary composition.
  11. Congrats greenmt and InHac!!!!
  12. ARGH. Why are my upvotes still out? Congrats ToldAgain, wetheplants!!!
  13. Not only this but white people can choose to throw off their locks and return to their privileged "normal" whenever they want (same goes for the current fad of big bushy beard/man-bun looks that are "hot" on white guys but Sikhs have been ridiculed for in America for ages). Black people cannot--and when they do straighten hair, etc. they run into "you want to be white" discourses. To shadowclaw, there's lots of discussion in the black community regarding choices to straighten hair, wear color contacts, etc., and there's certainly no consensus yet.
  14. More like nonblack people who have appropriated the use of the word "bae" and use it in the most nonsensical fashion (eg. "totally enjoying bae sunday!" as a caption for a photo of two mimosas. Do you even know what the fu** bae means?!) I guess more generally, any appropriation of black vernacular and running it into the ground with crappy usage. (See: fleek)
  15. This. But also, I don't ever think it's wise to suggest that one medium is limited as opposed to others. That's kind of the sense I got from what you wrote about "the novel". Even though you're not applying to literature programs, I don't think many faculty would agree that devoting one's study to literature is limiting, and few literature scholars do only that anyway. Just wanted to point out that that somewhat prickly assertion might provoke some unwanted reactions in adcomms.
  16. "You put in your sweat equity and profit down the road." I don't even..... Oh, I know. I mean why hasn't it been updated! Very few if any entries from the F14 cohort. It would be really interesting, instead of overwriting data to keep a running tally of how funding is changing from year to year.
  17. love boat
  18. I updated the USC entry for Fall 2015. So many of them are from Fall 2013... what's the deal?!
  19. Even though this is what you feel has shaped your interests, I wouldn't ever phrase it this way in an SOP. Just saying. In any case, I would definitely check out the UC Irvine Culture and Theory program. http://www.humanities.uci.edu/cultureandtheory/
  20. Oh don't worry... I'm not offended. I've long ago come to terms with the fact that I'll be older than most people in any of my programs!
  21. I wish I had read this yesterday. I emailed a POI to explain why I was turning down the offer at Program A. I didn't want to say anything about funding so I mentioned that Program B's non-teaching years were attractive and, I thought, conducive to my graduate development, which he took as me belittling TAs in his program. I quickly responded and tried to clear up the matter and he said he understood but it was not a great feeling. So yeah, I totally back this advice up 100%, having learned from experience.
  22. pure poetry
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use