-
Posts
1,327 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
23
Everything posted by 1Q84
-
How come I can't edit the spreadsheet anymore (in list view)?
-
In addition to the very helpful info above, I'll add that I really like to have a good critical theory/philosophy lexicon/encyclopedia open in front of me. Sometimes when I'm in the weeds with a theory text (such as when the theorist keeps using epiphenomenal over and over again and I can't quite seem to remember what the hell that refers to...) it can help to glance over a rudimentary definition in order to get my bearings in a critical piece of terminology. Usually I'll find that the text unlocks magically itself before my eyes!
-
Don't sweat the post-decision blahs
1Q84 replied to ComeBackZinc's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
I actually did need this now so thank you for bumping it. I do feel really weird when I see people posting that they're exhilarated and excited to start the program. I created a thread elsewhere saying this but I had almost immediate imposter syndrome the second after I pressed the enroll button. It helped for me to read what you wrote about there being some noticeable change in pace from frantic app season / post-decision. I think I'll try and lay off my nerves a bit. I've been stressed for way too long this semester! -
Waiting out the summer
1Q84 replied to circlewave's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
My main project will be to refresh my language skills so that when I make use of resources in the program to get ready to meet the requirement, I won't be trying to catch up in the midst of a busy semester. -
Anyone have experience with the Asus Zenbooks? They seem like the closest thing to a Macbook without the Apple branding.
-
My question was about my personal growth as a writer. This thread was presented as a question on inter-class interaction. Are you trying to play dumb or are you actually dumb enough to muck rake across completely different sub-forums? I get that you have some sort of grudge against me since you like to throw mud at every single post I make outside of the English forum but I think you're trying to pick a fight where there is none. But hey, keep going if it makes your Saturday night.
-
There's no real irony here. I read carefully enough. As you are referring to me obliquely, and my thread asking for advice, I'd like to point out that I didn't condescendingly refer to people lower in class than me as I asked for advice. Perhaps that's why I wasn't dogpiled on?
-
I'm uncomfortable with your assertion that factory workers, teachers, and stay at home moms don't have anything "interesting" to talk about. Perhaps you need to dig a little deeper? You didn't actually provide any concrete examples of why you think these people would perceive your normal conversation as bragging anyway. Instead of operating on the weird assumption that everyone thinks that your field of work is superior or feel condescended to or intimidated when you explain how it works, perhaps you would be better off working on your conversational skill instead. There are plenty of things to talk about with people aside from careers and hobbies--the fact that you can't think of anything to talk about outside of work suggests maybe the problem is not as external as you think. Anyway, if I ever get the same feeling, I'm just self-deprecating about my work and that usually lightens the mood.
-
Thank you proflorax and dazed! It's so comforting to know others have struggled with similar issues. I got a project back and it was apparently not so successful either and I just felt completely defeated and not even sure I can move forward with my work. Now I have some strategies under my belt!
-
Awesome strategies! Thank you both. Gonna have to print them out and hang it above my desk as a reminder. I normally just launch right in and starting writing without a thesis as well... but I guess my problem is I can't detect my own bullshit yet
-
Any tips? Most of my writing projects during my MA have been characterized by me trying to jam too much stuff into one project, which results in not enough depth and also a bit of chaotic structuring. I attribute this to getting really excited when I discover new topics and then trying to say everything I can at once. It's really been messing my writing up and holding me back from delivering really solid, concise, and tight arguments. I'm getting a lot of this feedback back from professors (and I'm going to ask them for their tips as well) but I wanted to hear what the community thinks first. Thanks in advance!
-
I'm terrified. ACK! I'm not in the right mindset to be excited yet I think...
-
On the topic of laptops: I know a lot of people just bring their laptop to school to bang out work but I can't stand trackpads for word processing--it slows me down like crazy. Do you all deal with trackpads or do you bring a mouse along with you?
-
When did Comp Rhet become mainstream?
1Q84 replied to xolo's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
No worries, I get what you're saying, bgt28! If I read you right, a measure of optimism and freshness is definitely necessary to the well-rounded development of any incoming cohort, if not just to ensure individual mental wellness. No one wants a bunch of bitter, jaded, robots spouting the same nihilistic dictums representing one's first encounter with graduate school. On the other hand, I think being well-aware of the realities of academia the moment enters a program is super important too so that every step one takes contributes to the end goal of getting a job--TT, AA or otherwise. I honestly think in this climate that letting the first year of the program be one's "discovery" year sadly can be detrimental to one's progress. I've heard as much from a bunch of ABDs I've talked to and that kind of advice is going to inform how I formulate my first year plan. -
APRIL 15TH PARTY THREAD (2015 edition)
1Q84 replied to 1Q84's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
RESTART THE PARTY! Congrats -
Yep, there was a recent sale at Best Buy that brought the Airs down to 700. More than worth the price. I'm really considering getting the new Macbook. It's only 2 lbs! The lack of ports is a real turnoff, though...
-
How the heck did you manage this?
-
When did Comp Rhet become mainstream?
1Q84 replied to xolo's topic in Literature, and Rhetoric and Composition
Well, all I can say is I'm super glad all the negativity came out after application season. This would've been too predictable during the height of our collective anxiety. -
Apologies! I guess my information is specific to my programs.
-
I'm not sure why you're so hung up on the university "creating problems" for you. Schools do not want to create problems for you, no matter what you did--that is, unless they want to expose themselves to massive legal ramifications. But to answer your questions: 1. No, you cannot receive multiple I-20s. 2. You have to request for your first institution to transfer your I-20 to your new institution. The second institution will only send out your new I-20 when the first institution has released it; therefore, you will only ever have one I-20 at one time.
-
I'm a full-blown office/desk addict (plus Keurig + fridge + microwave), so I find it hard to work outside. I tried to do some reading outside the other day and the wind was blowing my pages around and when I went inside, I was pretty much blind from how bright it was outside. I really don't get how people work outside for that long.
-
Banking in the USA? (Canadian asking)
1Q84 replied to quilledink's topic in IHOG: International House of Grads
TakeruK! Thanks for the tip on looking at what schools offer. I went searching and stumbled upon the USC Credit Union. I was happy to find that they provide super low interest rates... and that was something that was stressing me out when I saw another one of your posts that mentioned owning a car can cost about $5000 per year in California (probably more in LA!) -
Banking in the USA? (Canadian asking)
1Q84 replied to quilledink's topic in IHOG: International House of Grads
I've been holding off (for two years) to bring my Canadian bucks over the border. Alas, the loonie has fallen even more since then. Bah! -
The school can get into huge trouble with the federal government if they do not abide by FERPA. I'd bring this up to your HR department if members of your program continually breach ethical and legal codes of conduct.
