PhD interview panelist - are they a potential adviser?

kma19

I recently received an interview request from my top choice for a doctoral program in my field (yay!). The email invitation came from the program director, with whom I have spoken previously and with whom I'd be interested in working. She will be conducting the interview with another faculty member. I'm interested in that faculty's work, but based on her current grants and publications, it doesn't seem like as close a fit with my interests as the program director or the other faculty with whom I've spoken (and who I listed as potential advisers on my application). Should I assume because this faculty member is on the interview panel, they are considering her as a potential adviser for me -- or does it just mean she is on the adcom and nothing more? Is this something that would be appropriate to ask about if not addressed during the interview introduction?

I wouldn't ask directly, like "why am I interviewing with you?" because that would probably look bad. But you can ask in more subtle, roundabout ways by asking questions like:

- Do students get accepted to the program in general and then do rounds to choose faculty advisors, or are they admitted under specific faculty from the beginning?
- Are there opportunities for collaboration across faculty? Across students?
- How often (if at all) do students work with more than one faculty member?
- (To faculty member): I've noticed your recent grants and publications are (x, y, z). Where do you see your research going over the next few years?

I think these questions will likely lead to answers that will give you a better idea of what they're thinking without you having to ask directly or making assumptions. And you can ask followup questions based on what they tell you.

I can tell you from my interviews that I met with many different people including the program director. However, part of my interview was with faculty that I chose. I would side with the above comment that if you are interested in finding out, those are some of the questions that you could ask. 

Usually interviewers are doing work on behalf of the admissions committee, not necessarily considering you for their student. If the program website doesn't already say, a great question to ask in the interview process is to ask how students and advisors are matched up in this department. It's also a good question to ask after you get an offer when you are deciding where to go, of course!

Sometimes programs also have you interview with people they think would be at least semi-versed in your research interests. For example, at one of my interview weekends I interviewed with the two people I had listed in my application as potential advisors, and a third who studied similar but not exactly the same or directly related research. However, his interests were similar enough that it just made sense for him to interview me as opposed to someone who studied biopsychology (I am interested in social/emotional development). 

11 hours ago, 01sonal said:

Sometimes programs also have you interview with people they think would be at least semi-versed in your research interests. For example, at one of my interview weekends I interviewed with the two people I had listed in my application as potential advisors, and a third who studied similar but not exactly the same or directly related research. However, his interests were similar enough that it just made sense for him to interview me as opposed to someone who studied biopsychology (I am interested in social/emotional development). 

On the other hand, some programs I interviewed at (different field) purposely chose people who aren't in my area. They were upfront about this. They said it was because people are often more excited/positive about research related to them, so they have every candidate interviewed by non-experts.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, y'all! Super useful all around. This ended up getting covered during introductions so was a non-issue, but the issue represented itself in a future interview so I was glad to have had your input.