Biomath programs - how to set myself up for success

frenchthellama

Question

Not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but if there are any biomath/math/bio people hanging around your help would be very appreciated. 

I am a second-year undergrad at a large state university trying to plan out a course of study that will prepare me well for graduate school for biomathematics. I am considering doing a double-degree in math and biology. I am also involved in undergraduate research. I'm trying to make sure I take all the classes I need, and also that I graduate in a timely manner. I have heard that five years is ok as long as they don't think you're doing it to reduce your courseload (I'm not, but there's only so many STEM courses you can take in one quarter... ) What are some class recommendations that you have? How few credits is too few?

Edited by rising_star
to remove identifying info at poster's request

1 answer to this question

www.mathematicsgre.com is a math-specific forum that might be more informed on biomath programs housed in math departments.  There aren't a ton of math people here on this forum but someone else might answer here.  I am a senior math undergraduate student at an R1 institution, so I am somewhat familiar with math degrees/programs.  And the biology subforum on the menu here might have some advice as well for biology programs. But I would consider a BS in math (if a BA in bio is possible) if you want to do more math than bio.  If you want to get a PhD in Biomath at a math department that requires a lot of pure math courses you might benefit from taking all the proof based math you can.  Even in stats programs outside of math departments, a school may not require a math course but having extra math courses is beneficial in admission.  If you want something more bio focused,  then that might be a good plan.   I am not sure if you have a very strong interest in microbiology so what about getting only a minor in it (vice versa if you don't have a strong interest in math)?  The biomathematicans at my undergraduate institution don't all have degrees in biology (most don't).   I have a friend that got into NC State's biomath PhD program without a major in biology.   I According to that plan you haven't had upper-level proof-based math and you may decide it is not for you (it wasn't for me).  Start building good relationships with your professors and get advice for them,  since they will have probably better advice than random students on the internet.   They may have even sat on an admission committee and know what programs are looking for,  and plus if they know you they can write better letters.