Interview Weekend Dates

bluebird8

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to find out when schools typically have their interview weekends? I got invited for an interview at one of my schools but I don't want to accept just yet in case of conflicts, but I also do not want to leave them hanging for too long. Also, how long is it acceptable to wait to accept the interview invitation? Thanks!

Best chance of finding out is asking on here. I would accept any schools that you are interested in, then worry about other interviews. Most schools have ~4-5 interview weekends, most of the time they can just bump you to another weekend. I thought the same thing when I was applying but you don't want to miss out on an interview at a school that you are super interested in.

1 hour ago, hockeyref24 said:

Best chance of finding out is asking on here. I would accept any schools that you are interested in, then worry about other interviews. Most schools have ~4-5 interview weekends, most of the time they can just bump you to another weekend. I thought the same thing when I was applying but you don't want to miss out on an interview at a school that you are super interested in.

Then do you know if I may have any potential conflicts? Or anyone? The schools I applied to are listed in my signature. I just don't want my top choice to invite me for an interview the same exact weekend and then have me ask them to move it...that will make them feel like they are not #1 when they actually are, you know? But I really don't want to leave UNC hanging for too long.

1 hour ago, eevee said:

Also some schools post when their interview weekends tend to be on their application sites! 

I checked my top choice and they do not say :( I can't find information on their interview weekend anywhere.

25 minutes ago, bluebird8 said:

Then do you know if I may have any potential conflicts? Or anyone? The schools I applied to are listed in my signature. I just don't want my top choice to invite me for an interview the same exact weekend and then have me ask them to move it...that will make them feel like they are not #1 when they actually are, you know? But I really don't want to leave UNC hanging for too long.

I checked my top choice and they do not say :( I can't find information on their interview weekend anywhere.

I do not attend any of the schools you have in your signature. If UNC is a top choice accept it, then if someone else invites you, tell them you already have an interview scheduled for that weekend and if there is an alternative weekend that would work. Every school that I interviewed with had no problem with me attending a different interview if I had a conflict.

Edited by hockeyref24
missing word

4 minutes ago, hockeyref24 said:

Every school that I interviewed with had no problem with me attending a different interview if I had a conflict.

That's good to know! I always thought it would look bad, like they were a secondary choice, if you asked for an alternate interview date.

1 hour ago, bluebird8 said:

That's good to know! I always thought it would look bad, like they were a secondary choice, if you asked for an alternate interview date.

It won't look bad. Schools know that they run the risk of their top recruits being unavailable the longer they wait to send out invites. 

Edited by 01sonal

On 1/13/2018 at 2:04 PM, bluebird8 said:

but I also do not want to leave them hanging for too long. Also, how long is it acceptable to wait to accept the interview invitation?

As for not leaving them hanging too long, I would recommend asking them for a deadline to respond. I said something like "I am excited for the opportunity to interview at ___. I need to double check that those dates will work for me before I commit. When do you need to receive an official response from me?"