Engineering 2008

canuck

I have been in touch with them on a regular basis and also being following the gradcafe results page. The dept says that they have been sending out decisions and hope to get everything out by Friday ....... I am wondering that if they have been sending out decisions, how come now even one person from gradcafe got it.

Personally I am pretty convinced that they accept their own Ms students into the PhD program and hence almost everyone applying from outside gets rejected. Any suggestions or if anyone has something new to add, please feel free.

Well Mariner I guess Berkeley will finish their final round of acceptances this week and send out the rejections next week. I was rejected by Cornell today, although they did slap me in the face with an unfunded M.Eng offer. Perhaps I will decline a national federal phd scholarship and fellowship offers from other schools to take them up on it........

I have been in touch with them on a regular basis and also being following the gradcafe results page. The dept says that they have been sending out decisions and hope to get everything out by Friday ....... I am wondering that if they have been sending out decisions, how come now even one person from gradcafe got it.

Personally I am pretty convinced that they accept their own Ms students into the PhD program and hence almost everyone applying from outside gets rejected. Any suggestions or if anyone has something new to add, please feel free.

Well Mariner I guess Berkeley will finish their final round of acceptances this week and send out the rejections next week. I was rejected by Cornell today, although they did slap me in the face with an unfunded M.Eng offer. Perhaps I will decline a national federal phd scholarship and fellowship offers from other schools to take them up on it........

Hey all. As Mariner told, they are going to send out results by this friday! I also called the dept. and they told me the same. Well I dont really think they are going to accept their own students and reject others!!! The only point, which has made the situation very hard, is that no word is heard from the applicants, even rejection. So you can not say " Hey I have not been rejected yet so I have chance!". I really hope that this one is not gonna disappoint me since I already got rejected from 2 of my best choices, i.e Brown and Cornell. If Berkeley is also gonna reject me I gonna die! So lets hope we meet eachother at Berkeley soon!

It appears that many people have been accepted at Berkeley for mechanical PHD. Has anyone got a rejection yet ? I applied for the masters program, not the PHD.. did anyone get accepted for the masters program ?

Nope .... at the gradcafe we have only heard of few acceptances yesterday - MS/Phd and Phd.

Seems like they will first get the acceptances out by the end of the day today . I was told by the dept secretary that they usually get the rejects out later, once all the acceptances have been informed. They will be sending out 700 rejects and 80 acceptances. :!:

Nope .... at the gradcafe we have only heard of few acceptances yesterday - MS/Phd and Phd.

Seems like they will first get the acceptances out by the end of the day today . I was told by the dept secretary that they usually get the rejects out later, once all the acceptances have been informed. They will be sending out 700 rejects and 80 acceptances. :!:

OMG!!!! 700 VS. 80 !!!!!!!!! I applied for the PhD. is it more or less probable to get acceptance compared to MS ?!?!?

Difficult to say anything ... but I have a strong feeling that they like to in-breed their PhD students (I am a PhD applicant myself). Their 10% acceptance is pretty standard. Last years also they received 800 and accepted 80.

Looking for advice, also. Illinois or Stanford for PhD in Civil ? Much better funding at IL. Finances would be very tight at Stanford given high COL. Illinois is one of the top programs just like Stanford. Is there any reason to pick Stanford other than name and location ? Thanks for this consideration.

Looking for advice, also. Illinois or Stanford for PhD in Civil ? Much better funding at IL. Finances would be very tight at Stanford given high COL. Illinois is one of the top programs just like Stanford. Is there any reason to pick Stanford other than name and location ? Thanks for this consideration.

I dont really know about the Civil Eng. But if the same had happend to me I would definately choose Stanford. The important point is to look at the universities and see which one is stronger in your major in Civil. For example in my major in Mech. Eng., which is Fluid Dynamics, Stanford is definately # 1 in the world so I would choose that. Besides another important point, to me at least, is the endowment each university has. Regarding Stanford it is about 17-18 Billions, while UIUC has about 2-3 Billions. So you see it seems that Stanford has the potential to support its students. Finally note that the university name is just like a Brand, accompaying you till the end of your academic life. So I suppose Stanford would be the better choice.

PS: However you should make sure that its fund is just enough for a good living since CA is an expensive place to live you know ;)

Hi! Fellow Civil engineer here. I would advise you to really look at your advisors. Both IL and Stanford are top programs, so focus your decision on the research group (fit, acclaim, etc.). I'm also considering UIUC for civil (PhD), so maybe I'll see you in the fall!

Hi!

I've been admitted to the Engineering Physics - MS program at U Virginia.

I was hoping somebody could give more info about the academics at the college

and of the Engineering Physics program there. (all about grad studies of course)

I'm more than flooded up till ^ with info about how beautiful the location is ... yada yada ... :|

So I'll really be grateful if somebody could point out more about the acads and research there.

-Prat

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I have admits for MS-CS from Stanford, UTexas Austin and Purdue. No aid offer whatsoever from any of them, yet.

I am almost decided on Stanford, only point against it being the cost involved (their New Grad welcome guide says cost is almost 61k / year :shock: .. even though these estimates are on the higher side, its going to be damn costly). I do not want to end up having a huge debt when I graduate.

Seeking everyone's opinion.

Thanks !

• 9 years later...