What can I do more ?

likescience

Im an undergraduate mechanical engineering student, with only one semester left for me to graduate as the time for applying to graduate programs is approaching I was wondering what I can do more to improve my chances of getting a scholarship in USA or Europe, so right now I have a published paper in a respected journal also currently im putting my final touches on another research paper I have been working on with a different professor at my department, also I co-founded an ASME chapter in my department, Im currently studying for my GRE and IELTS and I expect to achieve good marks Im most likely to graduate with a 3.6 gpa I know it isnt the best but I slacked in my second year, here comes my question what can i do more to improve my chances further and people who have past experience in what Im going through right now please advice me do I have a real or a solid chance to be accepted in a scholarship

Sounds like you're very well-prepared for grad studies academically. Make sure your grades trend upward and continue engaging in research.

To up your chances for fellowships, I'd recommend engaging in a field-relevant outreach activity. Many fellowships love hearing about how you're going to change the world beyond the lab. Find an activity that you enjoy that's solid proof of your efficacy in engaging with diverse groups in the STEM community. 

• 1 month later...

Before graduate school begins, I suspect like many students you will have a summer or a semester of downtime. I recommend you make good use of this time, either through continuing research under your current professor or through a strong/recognizable industry or research internship. At this time, a research internship may be best to seek. I recommend that you seek such experiences in order to show in your application that even after you have graduated you are still committed to developing experience in your given field.

I graduated in Fall 2017, and during Fall 2017, I applied to two prestigious research internships for Spring 2018 and was was admitted to both programs, and when I applied to the NSF GRFP I mentioned that I had secured admission to these programs, and it exemplifies my commitment. I also mentioned this on my graduate school application, and when I had interviews with professors they asked about my current position and current research at the research program I was at. I believe that most students do not take advantage of this summer/or semester of downtime before grad school, and by taking advantage of this time and marketing it well you can increase your likelihood of a fellowship and grad school admittance significantly because most will not mention such work to be done in there near future. 

Taking into consideration that you are nearing the completion of degree, I believe the above is my best advice to you. I hope that it is of some assistance to you.

Start thinking about who you're going to ask to write your letters. If you do an internship, and you can get your supervisor to write one, I think that's helpful because it's someone outside of your school that can also vouch for you. 

Also start working on your personal statement/essays. These carry some weight. 

Other than that, it sounds like you have most things figured out! Start searching for schools and scholarships that you intend to apply for. Best of luck