How Did You Fund Your Dual Degree? (MPA/JD)

ILAR

Hi all,

I'm looking into a joint degree program where I would walk away with both a MPA and a JD. Most of the schools I am looking at say the program will take a total of 4 years, with one program saying it will only take 3.5.

I am aware that since I'd be in school for a longer period of time, I will accrue more debt than if I elected to pursue just one of these degrees. My question is for people who have or are currently enrolled in a dual degree program (mostly looking at MPA/MPP/JD) about how does your financial aid differ compared to just being enrolled at one school?

Many thanks in advance, I appreciate any answers or additional guidance.

• 2 months later...

I am a dual degree student. I took the maximum course load each semester to graduate with both degrees in three years. I'd say your financial aid will be heavily determined by your university and the funding package you were offered. I was offered a great scholarship for my JD, but I could only use it when I wasn't using my teaching assistantship that I was offered for my secondary degree. Because I ended up taking courses concurrently, I taught with my assistantship and received tuition remission for both degrees simultaneously through my teaching assistantship. When I wasn't teaching, I used my scholarship for my JD to cover costs. I did take out some loans for cost of living (think ~20k). Compared to most law school debt, I look favorably upon that number.

Being in school longer doesn't necessarily equate to more debt. You could get funding, you could apply for external funding, or you could be offered a teaching assistantship (depending on the school). I will say, at some schools, you either start your Master's or JD first, and then in year 2 you switch to the other program. Years 3 and 4 are usually a mix (from my research / experience). It's hard to provide much more insight without knowing the specifics of the program you're looking into. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to help if I can.