Near Eastern Studies/NELC Fall 2018

felakuti

On ٢‏/٣‏/٢٠١٨ at 12:46 PM, paisleytree said:

I got an acceptance last week, totally out of the blue (no prior contact was made). But I will be declining it for Columbia soon. 

Was your acceptance for the NYU MEIS Masters program or PhD? I noticed a "rejected" on the results page for the masters program, but I haven't heard anything about my PhD application yet ....

7 minutes ago, semling said:

Was your acceptance for the NYU MEIS Masters program or PhD? I noticed a "rejected" on the results page for the masters program, but I haven't heard anything about my PhD application yet ....

It was for the PhD program, the culture and representation stream. I hope you hear from them soon... my wife is dying to hear back from any of the schools she applied to :(

9 hours ago, paisleytree said:

It was for the PhD program, the culture and representation stream. I hope you hear from them soon... my wife is dying to hear back from any of the schools she applied to :(

Yeah, I really wish the programs were more transparent in their decision timing. Although I'm not too stressed out about it, since I already have one acceptance I would be very happy with (Georgetown), whatever happens with NYU. But I also can't start making definitive plans until I know if it's definitely going to be Georgetown or if I have a decision to make.

I hope your wife hears back soon!

Woke up this morning to two emails - both in my junk inbox, from UCLA and UChicago.

I got rejected from UCLA but I wasn't too bummed out because I did get into UChicago's Masters program, which for me at least, is a wonderful opportunity. Still waiting on decisions for three more schools but at least I know I will be continuing my education somewhere this fall!!

Major congrats to those who have been accepted and best of luck to those of you who are still waiting! :)

4 hours ago, Anthrolologist said:

Woke up this morning to two emails - both in my junk inbox, from UCLA and UChicago.

I got rejected from UCLA but I wasn't too bummed out because I did get into UChicago's Masters program, which for me at least, is a wonderful opportunity. Still waiting on decisions for three more schools but at least I know I will be continuing my education somewhere this fall!!

Major congrats to those who have been accepted and best of luck to those of you who are still waiting! :)

What are you planning on specializing there? I got an acceptance  as well, but don't know if I should go for it since I already have a MA in Islamic studies.

15 hours ago, Anthrolologist said:

I had the same exact day as you yesterday.

Got an email from NYU Graduate Enrollment Services, referring me to check my status. That's a rejection.

Which means, I can officially say, I'm going to Georgetown!!!  :D

3 hours ago, semling said:

Got an email from NYU Graduate Enrollment Services, referring me to check my status. That's a rejection.

Which means, I can officially say, I'm going to Georgetown!!!  :D

Congrats!

Georgetown > NYU anyways

On ٧‏/٣‏/٢٠١٨ at 6:33 PM, PersonaNonGrata said:

Congrats!

Georgetown > NYU anyways

It definitely is for me. Georgetown is one of the few places where I can focus on Arabic linguistics (syntax of spoken Arabic, natch), while also keeping up with modern Arabic literature and my translation work. There's not a whole lot of places where you can do both ... I'm so excited. :D

Although, coming from a well-paying, full-time job, I also have my share of reservations:

phdmeme.jpg

Edited by semling