Near Eastern Studies/NELC Fall 2018

felakuti

I've also applied to 6 institutions, focusing on ancient Near Eastern archaeology.

UCLA, SUNY Stony Brook (technically under Anthropology not NELC/NES) , Johns Hopkins, UPenn, UChicago, and Bryn Mawr.

I did not anticipate how anxious I would be waiting to hear back!

I applied to NYU, Georgetown, and Cornell. As far as I can tell, they don't do interviews so I don't think we'll have any indication at all until the decisions go out. (Which seems to be in late February to early March, based on previous years?) I've so far gotten an interview with Yale, but that was in the Linguistics department.

My previous work has mainly been in Arabic Linguistics, but I'm also interested in modern literature.

Edited by semling

6 hours ago, felakuti said:

congrats to the toronto and U of M admit/hopeful! Still haven't heard back on my end...patiently waiting...if anyone knows the scoop on anything, please do share! 

Quite early for the Toronto decision. To whomever got accepted, congratulations! I still have "under review" on my application page.

I feel like the NES/NELC base on this website is growing more and more inactive every year, haha. Best of luck to everyone! After three years of applying to different schools, I was accepted to UT Austin's MELC in Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East last week. My financial aid package is still being processed, though. 

16 hours ago, Almaqah Thwn said:

I feel like the NES/NELC base on this website is growing more and more inactive every year, haha. Best of luck to everyone! After three years of applying to different schools, I was accepted to UT Austin's MELC in Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East last week. My financial aid package is still being processed, though. 

wow, congratulations. That must feel amazing. I wonder why the forums are growing inactive - if the departments are shrinking or if there are just less applicants? Or both? Either way..hope it works out for everyone here. 

12 hours ago, felakuti said:

wow, congratulations. That must feel amazing. I wonder why the forums are growing inactive - if the departments are shrinking or if there are just less applicants? Or both? Either way..hope it works out for everyone here. 

It's quite a relief- it was the first news that I received (aside from a Baylor interview invite), so I know now at very least I'll end up in a program somewhere. What happens now, will happen. I'll be studying what I want to later this year and getting paid for it, so that's pretty sweet. I've heard there are less applicants this year, at least in religion, from other people. However, I'm not sure if that's the reason or not. There was a sharp drop in activity just a few years ago. I think a lot of the Bible people realized they can just camp out on the Religion PhD topic instead, which is much more active. 

Also, for those of you who still are waiting anxiously, take comfort! It's the weekend and professors are most likely not working on applications now. You can sit back for two days and not freak out over messages, emails, and missed phone calls from spammers with the same area code as the schools to which you applied. 

Edited by Almaqah Thwn

On 1/27/2018 at 12:30 AM, KA.DINGER.RA said:

YO! I just got an email (at 10 PM on a Friday) from Brown to interview for Assyriology and Egyptology.

Huzzah!

congrats!!! best of luck..let us know how the interview goes!

I noticed in prior years, Berkeley sends out some acceptances around this time. Anyone hear or know anything? Haven't heard back myself. 

Near Eastern archaeology here. I applied in Canada (Toronto, UBC), the UK (UCL, Cambridge, Liverpool), and the US (Penn, Hopkins).

On 1/18/2018 at 5:31 PM, Anthrolologist said:

I've also applied to 6 institutions, focusing on ancient Near Eastern archaeology.

UCLA, SUNY Stony Brook (technically under Anthropology not NELC/NES) , Johns Hopkins, UPenn, UChicago, and Bryn Mawr.

I did not anticipate how anxious I would be waiting to hear back!

I was considering UCLA until I found out that they just lost an Egyptologist and that their Assyriologist and Near Eastern archaeologist are both retiring this year. 

Edited by Mospeth

42 minutes ago, Mospeth said:

Near Eastern archaeology here. I applied in Canada (Toronto, UBC), the UK (UCL, Cambridge, Liverpool), and the US (Penn, Hopkins).

I was considering UCLA until I found out that they just lost an Egyptologist and that their Assyriologist and Near Eastern archaeologist are both retiring this year. 

Are you talking about Dieleman? I was actually interested in some of his work on Coptic scribal practice a few months before the application was due. Then, when I went to write the statement of purpose, he disappeared from the website. 

On 1/27/2018 at 12:30 AM, KA.DINGER.RA said:

YO! I just got an email (at 10 PM on a Friday) from Brown to interview for Assyriology and Egyptology.

Huzzah!

I ride the bus with a professor in that department ( we both work in Providence, and live about a mile apart), and I ran into him today for the first time in a long time and asked him why I haven’t seen him on the bus lately, and he mentioned that he’s been working really late lately. Maybe that’s what he’s doing! 

7 hours ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

Looks like NELC emails for Chicago went out yesterday/today.

None for me. Congrats to those who got in!

Where did you get this info from? Nonetheless, that's upsetting because I just submitted my FLAS application that they requested all applicants to do. If I knew that I was not going to be selected why bother?

5 hours ago, PersonaNonGrata said:

Where did you get this info from? Nonetheless, that's upsetting because I just submitted my FLAS application that they requested all applicants to do. If I knew that I was not going to be selected why bother?

I checked the results page and two people submitted "accepted" results for NELC at Chicago. Go and search "NELC" and you'll see them.

Just FYI: Johns Hopkins' NES is sending out/has sent out short list notifications. They do this every year around this time and position on the short list does not guarantee admission. It also can take a month or two for them to hammer out funding. So if you're on the short list, don't be too anxious if it takes a while for them to follow up. Rejections from the short list usually come in pale yellow envelops with a hand-signed letter, while acceptances I believe come by email. 

Edited by Almaqah Thwn