A career as a developmental psychologist...

cashewmilk

Developmental folks,

What is your plan career wise with a Ph.D in Developmental Psychology? The field is wide/vast and I know there's no formal licensure like clinical/counseling folks (depending on program)

I've always leaned towards academia and applied settings, but im curious to know what others plan to do!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! 

I'm applying to a mix of clinical, neuroscience, and developmental psych programs, but throughout the process, I've realized that I'm much more interested in research than practice, so my top choices are in neuroscience and developmental psych.  I have a strong interest in autism research, so right now my end goal is to work in an Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities Research Center.

I’m curious to know, too. I just had an interview with an Adult Development and Aging program, and they said their graduates tend to go on to academia due to a lack of available jobs in applied settings. As someone who was hoping to also work in applied settings, I’d be grateful to hear more about what others’ career goals/experiences are in this field. I would have thought there would be plenty of jobs for those wishing to specialize in the older adult population, but perhaps I’m mistaken! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

So I recently left an interview and I made sure to ask career trajectories and what current grad students hope to do with their PhD. Many of them said academia/tenure track professor route. While others are involved in consultation, research firm, corporate, program development... it seems rather limitless! My background is clinical counseling so if push comes to shove for me, being involved in practice or applied  is always an option .. the field appears open!