2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

@NotMyAncestorsPhilosophy First of all, congratulations on your acceptance! A prospective student visit that soon does seem to indicate that the acceptances as a whole have probably been sent out. Perhaps your potential cohort members do not use thegradcafe which seems surprising yet possible. I am currently in an MA program and one of my colleagues had never heard of it until I mentioned it recently in his presence. Thanks for the info!

3 hours ago, SirPyros said:

Congratulations to everyone who has received good news from a program. So far, I have received one rejection and most of the other schools have already sent out acceptances. At this point, I'm preparing myself for the possibility this might not be my year. I've been thinking about what I can strengthen for next year (better GRE score, stronger sample), but a thought occurred to me. I am a bit older, 37, and I have had a 15-year career in computer science. Does anyone know if that would be perceived unfavorably by AdCom? 

I wouldn't worry about that.  I'm 36 and think they're making the right decisions based on my credentials and compatibility with the programs so far.  If your sample is stellar you'll get their attention, so that'll be my focus if I don't get the result I want this first try.

4 hours ago, fizzycalism said:

That would be me. Thank you so much for your kind words! I don't know your situation, but don't lose your hope just yet, and even if you don't get any PhD offers this season (fingers crossed you do), don't let it discourage you; in my experience it's becoming increasingly more common for people to go on to graduate studies in very good programs after a few years of trying/working outside academia.

You are an inspiration.  Congratulations!  I'm very excited for you.  Have seen a couple of others posting results or in the forum who helped me to strengthen my resolve to roll through this however many times I have to.  Thank you and I wish you success and fulfillment in life. 

5 hours ago, Humever said:

OMG, just accepted to Pittsburgh!

2 hours ago, Metanoia said:

Accepted to Pittsburgh! Got a call from Erica Shumener.

Congrats guys - me too! Spoke with Mark Wilson on the phone. Time zones are a tricky thing so he attempted to call me at 4am Sydney time and I had to call him back in the morning. Will you guys be at the visit in mid-March? I'm planning on flying over.

9 minutes ago, tmck3053 said:

Congrats guys - me too! Spoke with Mark Wilson on the phone. Time zones are a tricky thing so he attempted to call me at 4am Sydney time and I had to call him back in the morning. Will you guys be at the visit in mid-March? I'm planning on flying over.

You'll be flying a long way! 

And yes, I will be visiting in mid-March. See you there!

24 minutes ago, tmck3053 said:

Yes, I will be there, too, though I might not be able to stay for three whole days.  See you folks!

24 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Does anyone want to claim the Yale waitlist(s)? In particular, did you get an email to check the website or did the DGA contact you?

I heard that this year the results are directly sent from the Graduate School at Yale. I haven't heard from them. So presumably this means a rejection. I feel sad about this.

Edited by Humever

20 minutes ago, Humever said:

I heard that this year the results are directly sent from the Graduate School at Yale. I haven't heard from them. So presumably this means a rejection. I feel sad about this.

Ah, that sucks. I would've loved to work with David Charles there. 

10 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Ah, that sucks. I would've loved to work with David Charles there. 

I wonder if they admitted anyone working in ancient this year.  They seem to have accepted *very* many students working in this area in the past few years.

11 minutes ago, Humever said:

I wonder if they admitted anyone working in ancient this year.  They seem to have accepted *very* many students working in this area in the past few years.

Yeah, can't say. I haven't come across any Yale admit so far who's interested in ancient philosophy. I would, however, be surprised if they didn't admit anyone. Ancient philosophy is, after all, among their flagship areas of strength and they have a lot of students working in that area at any given point of time. 

13 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

Yeah, can't say. I haven't come across any Yale admit so far who's interested in ancient philosophy. I would, however, be surprised if they didn't admit anyone. Ancient philosophy is, after all, among their flagship areas of strength and they have a lot of students working in that area at any given point of time. 

Yeah, hope might still be there given that rejections haven't been sent out yet.  Fingers crossed.

10 hours ago, Metanoia said:

You'll be flying a long way! 

And yes, I will be visiting in mid-March. See you there!

Lovely! It is a long flight, but they said that would pay for the flights in full. I was very surprised. Do they do this for local students? AUS -> US flights are not cheap.

3 hours ago, tmck3053 said:

Lovely! It is a long flight, but they said that would pay for the flights in full. I was very surprised. Do they do this for local students? AUS -> US flights are not cheap.

It is standard for departments to cover the air fare for local students. But it’s not uncommon for them to cover the fare for International students too (though it’s not standard). For instance, I know someone at WashU who was invited to visit from New Zealand a few years ago. In any case, good for you! Nothing like a free international ticket haha. 

6 hours ago, kurumetarou said:

Still got no words from UWM and Pitt, so I'm prepared for the worst.

Wonder why they don't just release all the results at the same time. Waiting when you know for certain you are getting rejected really does not feel good.

Yes! It doesn't feel good to be sitting here thinking while there's 99% chance I am rejected from (in my case) Toronto, Maryland, or Yale, I can't be completely sure I'm not on some hidden wait-list or something. 

Guest RoughAnatomy
50 minutes ago, ThePeon said:

Yes! It doesn't feel good to be sitting here thinking while there's 99% chance I am rejected from (in my case) Toronto, Maryland, or Yale, I can't be completely sure I'm not on some hidden wait-list or something. 

I'd love to conduct a phenomenonology of anticipation involving grad students as research participants. 

21 hours ago, machineghost said:

I’m in a similar boat, but I’m even older. I  worked as a software engineer for over a decade. I don’t know whether one’s age makes a difference but I do think that it would be frowned upon if you haven’t done much course work recently. For example, if you haven’t taken any philosophy courses in 15 years, that would almost certainly be looked upon unfavorably. But if you have, then I doubt it will matter much. A terminal MA is probably a good option for you if you haven’t taken philosophy courses in a while. That’s what I did, and you will also end up with better letters, a better sample, etc. 

I second this, I am also older (41!) with a decade working in a different field and no previous philosophy exposure. I did a two year terminal MA and have 2 acceptances/3 rejections for this season.