2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

59 minutes ago, RoughAnatomy said:

No worries!

I lack that gene where I give a fuck, so, I exploit it to my advantage and the advantage of my impatient compatriots. 

This nearly made me laugh out loud in the library reading room ?

Congrats to those with USC acceptances! I’ve got no skin in this particular game but I’d be happy for you even if I had.

34 minutes ago, Fregeskind said:

What is up with Wisconsin-Madison? They are releasing rejections a little by little. Seemingly, they've already sent out not only acceptances but also waitlists. So it's not as if they are deliberating as they reject people. Ugh.

I second being REALLY confused by this. Is it true that they accept 25, though? Because I definitely haven't seen 25 acceptances.... 

http://philosophy.wisc.edu/graduate/admissions.php (Where I am getting the 25 from)

5 minutes ago, ArendtYouKidding said:

I second being REALLY confused by this. Is it true that they accept 25, though? Because I definitely haven't seen 25 acceptances.... 

http://philosophy.wisc.edu/graduate/admissions.php (Where I am getting the 25 from)

The response rate for posting acceptances on gradcafe varies pretty wildly. To date I am the only person who posted an acceptance to CMU and they are done with sending both acceptances and rejections from their PhD program, and I know for a fact that there are at least 9 other admitted students not including their masters program.

4 minutes ago, TorreAttack said:

To date I am the only person who posted an acceptance to CMU and they are done with sending both acceptances and rejections from their PhD program

I received a CMU acceptance. I got a personalized email from my POI on the 10th and held off from posting because I wasn't sure if other acceptances were going out at the same time. In retrospect, I should have posted!

Admitted to UC Irvine (Philosophy, not LPS) a few days ago. I have a question about the program. The philosophy at UC Irvine is ranked relatively high in the PGR. I scanned a little through the Breakdown of Programs by Specialties section (http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/breakdown.asp) in the PGR, it seems that most of its ranked fields (incl. Phil Sci, Phil Physics, Phil Bio, Phil Math, Logic, History of Analytic Philosophy, etc.) belong to the Department of Logic and Philosophy of Science. Given that its Philosophy Department and LPS Department are combined together in the overall ranking, I wonder how strong its Philosophy Department is? I’m sorry if this is not the right place to post the question. Best of luck to everyone!

10 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

Rejected from UC Irvine (no surprises here).

In other news, I ended up in the ER last night after experiencing severe chest pain moments after my first interview. Thankfully, it seems to just be anxiety, but this was pretty scary, as I've never had anything like this happen before. 

Hope you feel better! I was pretty anxious as well, at least over the first month or so. But regardless of outcome, your health is much more important than any graduate program, and it's helpful (at least in my own case) to not take the application process too seriously. 

13 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

Rejected from UC Irvine (no surprises here).

In other news, I ended up in the ER last night after experiencing severe chest pain moments after my first interview. Thankfully, it seems to just be anxiety, but this was pretty scary, as I've never had anything like this happen before. 

Oh man, I’m so sorry to hear this! Hope you’re feeling better.

I’d say from experience that thinking about it as ‘just’ anxiety could lead to a little trouble. Please be as good to yourself as you can, and look after yourself just as much as if your condition were more explicitly physical. One of the reasons I study philosophy of mind is that I’m hoping that I can contribute something meaningful to the conversation about our tendency to divide ourselves in half that way. 

Make sure you’re breathing, eating properly, and in general doing things that can help you feel balanced and calm. We’re all here for you. 

Guest RoughAnatomy
11 minutes ago, MishaPanda said:

One of the reasons I study philosophy of mind is that I’m hoping that I can contribute something meaningful to the conversation about our tendency to divide ourselves in half that way. 

We're dissecting the problem with different philosophical methodologies, but my work also involves deteriorating the intransigent bifurcation between mind/body and health portions of the mind/sick portions of the mind in the consideration of (specifically) mental disorders. 

5 minutes ago, RoughAnatomy said:

One of the reasons I study philosophy of mind is that I’m hoping that I can contribute something meaningful to the conversation about our tendency to divide ourselves in half that way. 

5 minutes ago, RoughAnatomy said:

We're dissecting the problem with different philosophical methodologies, but my work also involves deteriorating the intransigent bifurcation between mind/body and health portions of the mind/sick portions of the mind in the consideration of (specifically) mental disorders. 

I was thinking in Kantian terms. That is, by endangering his health and life, he is treating his own humanity merely as a means (to getting into graduate school) and, thereby, violating the categorical duty to himself.

Good to see there is more than one way we can recommend him to be mindful of his health!

10 minutes ago, RoughAnatomy said:

I dig it. I dig it good.

5 minutes ago, quinessloopypun said:

I was thinking in Kantian terms. That is, by endangering his health and life, he is treating his own humanity merely as a means (to getting into graduate school) and, thereby, violating the categorical duty to himself.

Good to see there is more than one way we can recommend him to be mindful of his health!

Apparently I’ve run out of reactions to give on GradCafe (I didn’t even realise that was a thing!?), but I’m pleased that our philosophies have ways of overlapping. 

6 minutes ago, quinessloopypun said:

That does seem Kantian, but it also seems wrong that he should have a duty to himself whether he endorses it or not. I'm sure he does have that duty to himself, but because he wants to live, not because he must.

Splitting hairs, I know, but we're all just saying that we want you to take care of yourself (in different ways)!

Guest RoughAnatomy
46 minutes ago, TorreAttack said:

The response rate for posting acceptances on gradcafe varies pretty wildly. To date I am the only person who posted an acceptance to CMU and they are done with sending both acceptances and rejections from their PhD program, and I know for a fact that there are at least 9 other admitted students not including their masters program.

This is quite true and why I resorted to emailing programs outright this week. 

Alright, calm down y'all. I'm taking care of my health just fine.

And of course, the proper answer is the Hegelian one: By staking my life on my commitment to going to graduate school, a contradiction emerges between the explicit (für sich) intention to go to graduate school and the implict (an sich) content of the deed [Tat] or the actual carrying out of this intention, where the content of the intention cannot be said to correspond to the actuality of the deed. In other words, you can't go to grad school if you're dead. 

Edited by iunoionnis

Guest RoughAnatomy
16 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

That does seem Kantian, but it also seems wrong that he should have a duty to himself whether he endorses it or not. I'm sure he does have that duty to himself, but because he wants to live, not because he must.

Splitting hairs, I know, but we're all just saying that we want you to take care of yourself (in different ways)!

He could also avow himself to a hybrid between effective altruism and both misanthropic and philanthropic anti-natalism.

He'd thereby solve the philosophical quandary of why one ought to take care of oneself (one shouldn't), come to a salutary argumentative conclusion on the merits of grad school application (it lead to his perishing, and with it, the alleviation of his anxiety), and contribute substantively to the common good (both ridding the world of another human and preventing the actualization of future potential persons whose actualization will incur them harm).  

Edited by RoughAnatomy

Guest RoughAnatomy
6 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

Alright, calm down y'all. I'm taking care of my health just fine.

And of course, the proper answer is the Hegelian one: By staking my life on my commitment to going to graduate school, a contradiction emerges between the explicit (für sich) intention to go to graduate school and the implict (an sich) content of the deed [Tat] or the actual carrying out of this intention, where the content of the intention cannot be said to correspond to the actuality of the deed. In other words, you can't go to grad school if you're dead. 

You can be posthumously accepted, in which case the intentional content and the actualization of the act are synchronized. Well, unless you properly delineate the application to grad school and actually attending, because both are implicit in the 'going' intention.

3 minutes ago, RoughAnatomy said:

You can be posthumously accepted, in which case the intentional content and the actualization of the act are synchronized. Well, unless you properly delineate the application to grad school and actually attending, because both are implicit in the 'going' intention.

I disagree. Recall in "Lordship and Bondage" that the attempt for both masters to achieve recognition by staking their lives fails, namely because they both ignore the fact that they cannot be recognized if they both kill each other, nor can one achieve recognition from another person whom they have killed.

8 minutes ago, RoughAnatomy said:

and contribute substantively to the common good (both ridding the world of another human and preventing the actualization of future potential persons).  

Jesus Christ, this is freaking dark! Not even utilitarians are this evil. 

4 minutes ago, Beethoven123 said:

Hi,

Has anyone heard from Harvard's ethnomusicology department (interview or acceptance) I have an offer from another school but I don't want to accept yet becuase Harvard is my top choice. I'm an international student and I want to accept an offer on a March 1st so I can start working on all the documents I need as well as my visa application. Do you think I should just assume that Harvard would be a rejection and accept the other offer or wait a bit? They are really taking forever and I'm beginning to think it's a rejection. I'm tired of refreshing my email every hour. 

This is philosophy, yo

Guest RoughAnatomy
7 minutes ago, iunoionnis said:

I disagree. Recall in "Lordship and Bondage" that the attempt for both masters to achieve recognition by staking their lives fails, namely because they both ignore the fact that they cannot be recognized if they both kill each other, nor can one achieve recognition from another person whom they have killed.

True, but the recognition struggle itself between you and the adcom has, if we follow the Phenomenology, occurred within an institutionalized order of rights whose function it is to express and actualize your mutually determinative, autonomous subjectivity. 

Even if you perish, the adcom's regulative parameters prevent your subordination to "mere slave" or their exaltation to "superior master."