Master of teaching OISE 2018

Saf88

I'm still waiting to hear back on my MT program application. I got denied for the CSE MA program in early March, so at that point I didn't expect to wait long to hear back from the MT program. Then I waited. I thought mid-March I would hear back. Then April came. I called around the beginning of April and was told that I would be given a decision sometime in April (I cannot remember if they said for sure I would hear back in April or that I "should" have heard back by the end of April). I called around mid-April to touch base as it would be nice to know what's up for the following year. I was told I should hear back soon. Now it's May. I called at the start of May and was told that I should hear back on my decision sometime. I was told that I would be given a decision when the individuals reviewing my application had completed it. So really no timeline. Then I asked if I could perhaps hear back sometime in the summer even, that the possibility existed it could even take that long. I was told yes, that is a possibility. There have been times I have called when the OISE employee answering my questions seemed annoyed that I was inquiring into my application status. I know this person is probably receiving many similar calls and that it could build up to an annoyance, but it kind of felt that I was being brushed aside. I am not impressed with how long this admission decision has taken. U of T prides itself on being a top-tier university, but this circumstance doesn't seem to jibe with that distinction. I don't want to blame any individual person or think that U of T has any malicious intent. However, if the possibility exists that it is going to take this long to hear back, we should be made aware of that much earlier on. We should be provided with updates on approximate timelines as it is not fair to put individuals in limbo who are potentially going to be giving a whole lot of money and energy to your institution. Good luck to the rest of ya. Thank for reading my essay. I know it likely surpasses the word count. If this submission is considered late, well just deal with it. I can take as long as I want. That's what U of T would say if it was a student. Funny how in university if you hand an assignment in late, there usually isn't much leeway, but universities reserve the right to greatly exceed any approximate deadlines they set. Cheers. May the fourth be with you tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, bianca07 said:

It's so hard to remain hopeful and optimistic at this point.. it's 2 months past the deadline ?

I feel like I'm in an unhealthy one-sided relationship, where I am much more into the person than they are for me, but I am holding out hope they will realize what a catch I really am.

8 minutes ago, Saf88 said:

I'm sure we're all past this, but I wonder if they are reviewing by gpa. Is there anyone left with a 3.7 or higher?

As a current MT student, I would highly doubt that GPA plays a huge factor. Most of my colleagues were in the 3.3 to 3.6 range.
I had two friends from UofT undergrad apply with 3.9 and 4.0 cGPA, both of which were surprisingly rejected last year.

I think GPA was more of a minimum requirement, beyond that they value your SI letter and your teaching experience more.

2 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

As a current MT student, I would highly doubt that GPA plays a huge factor. Most of my colleagues were in the 3.3 to 3.6 range.
I had two friends from UofT undergrad apply with 3.9 and 4.0 cGPA, both of which were surprisingly rejected last year.

I think GPA was more of a minimum requirement, beyond that they value your SI letter and your teaching experience more.

Lol as someone with a shit GPA but a (hopefully) compelling SI and decent work experience, this give me hope.

On 5/3/2018 at 1:10 PM, Siscokid23 said:

I'm still waiting to hear back on my MT program application. I got denied for the CSE MA program in early March, so at that point I didn't expect to wait long to hear back from the MT program. Then I waited. I thought mid-March I would hear back. Then April came. I called around the beginning of April and was told that I would be given a decision sometime in April (I cannot remember if they said for sure I would hear back in April or that I "should" have heard back by the end of April). I called around mid-April to touch base as it would be nice to know what's up for the following year. I was told I should hear back soon. Now it's May. I called at the start of May and was told that I should hear back on my decision sometime. I was told that I would be given a decision when the individuals reviewing my application had completed it. So really no timeline. Then I asked if I could perhaps hear back sometime in the summer even, that the possibility existed it could even take that long. I was told yes, that is a possibility. There have been times I have called when the OISE employee answering my questions seemed annoyed that I was inquiring into my application status. I know this person is probably receiving many similar calls and that it could build up to an annoyance, but it kind of felt that I was being brushed aside. I am not impressed with how long this admission decision has taken. U of T prides itself on being a top-tier university, but this circumstance doesn't seem to jibe with that distinction. I don't want to blame any individual person or think that U of T has any malicious intent. However, if the possibility exists that it is going to take this long to hear back, we should be made aware of that much earlier on. We should be provided with updates on approximate timelines as it is not fair to put individuals in limbo who are potentially going to be giving a whole lot of money and energy to your institution. Good luck to the rest of ya. Thank for reading my essay. I know it likely surpasses the word count. If this submission is considered late, well just deal with it. I can take as long as I want. That's what U of T would say if it was a student. Funny how in university if you hand an assignment in late, there usually isn't much leeway, but universities reserve the right to greatly exceed any approximate deadlines they set. Cheers. May the fourth be with you tomorrow. 

Did you apply before the Nov 15th deadline? 

16 hours ago, NomiTurner said:

I submitted my application on November 15 and I'm still waiting to hear back as well! I'm hoping that if they're taking this long to make the decision, then there's still hope!

Wow.. this is crazy. 

3 hours ago, Jules24 said:

Wow.. this is crazy. 

Something must have happened with the OISE administrative staff or something.
All of the current MT students have yet to receive their course schedules for the spring/summer semesters, which was promised to be released 2 months ago.
People are still waiting to see their schedules to see if they can apply for jobs in the summer... 

Apparently, the staff is STILL making emergency last minute changes for us current students.
I suspect that a similar problem is causing delays for prospective student admissions.

1 hour ago, Jackson8918 said:

All of the current MT students have yet to receive their course schedules for the spring/summer semesters, which was promised to be released 2 months ago.
People are still waiting to see their schedules to see if they can apply for jobs in the summer... 

Apparently, the staff is STILL making emergency last minute changes for us current students.
I suspect that a similar problem is causing delays for prospective student admissions.

Thanks for this! 

On May 6, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Jackson8918 said:

Mad respect to you for posting this and giving us the inside scoop. Appreciate it. 

On 5/9/2018 at 12:41 PM, Saf88 said:

Applications are still open. 

Has anyone contacted the Dean or thinking of doing so? 

Who is the Dean? Ive contacted the Chair but it didn't do much.. if anyone contacts the Dean let us know!

Edited by Jules24

2 hours ago, Siscokid23 said:

I got in :) After making me wait as long as I did, part of me feels I should leave them hanging. The opportunity to continue at U of T is real enticing though (I did my undergrad there and am used to the city). I wish ya'll the best of luck.

Wow! Congratulations!!!! So happy for you. The wait was worth it! ?

By the way, how did you find out? Did you get an email? 

Edited by Saf88

12 hours ago, Siscokid23 said:

I got in :) After making me wait as long as I did, part of me feels I should leave them hanging. The opportunity to continue at U of T is real enticing though (I did my undergrad there and am used to the city). I wish ya'll the best of luck.

Congratz! I did my undergrad here in the UofT downtown campus too! 

Don't forget to apply for the special Ryerson P.S. cohort (if you're P/J) and UTS cohort (if I/S).
We get extra paid internship opportunities over other cohorts! :)

OISE has also just released the finalized spring/summer schedules for current MT students, after being whopping 2 months late.
Looks like they are mailing out acceptance letters physically through envelopes.

Edited by Jackson8918

11 hours ago, Jackson8918 said:

Congratz! I did my undergrad here in the UofT downtown campus too! 

Don't forget to apply for the special Ryerson P.S. cohort (if you're P/J) and UTS cohort (if I/S).
We get extra paid internship opportunities over other cohorts! :)

OISE has also just released the finalized spring/summer schedules for current MT students, after being whopping 2 months late.
Looks like they are mailing out acceptance letters physically through envelopes.

Thanks for letting us know!  Hopefully this means things will be moving faster now.

I applied mid-March for the MT program 

first choice is History for J/I 

My GPA is higher than the required and I believe I have a good SI 

What I lack is surely work experience. 

Do I still have a chance? I am really stressed about it. 

Congrats to anyone who got accepted and good luck to everyone 

On 5/11/2018 at 10:13 AM, Siscokid23 said:

Congrats!! :)