Master of teaching OISE 2018

Saf88

I put all of my eggs in one basket and I'm going insane waiting. Submitted everything by November 15 deadline. Applied to I/S french and science general (environmental science undergrad). It makes it super difficult to plan your life when you are potentially moving to Toronto from another city and you can't even make plans to rent a moving van in advance, or renew your lease, etc.

The purest of empathy for anyone who is still waiting to hear news. <3

Feels like I'm in limbo.

On 14/04/2018 at 10:06 AM, evevvren said:

I put all of my eggs in one basket and I'm going insane waiting. Submitted everything by November 15 deadline. Applied to I/S french and science general (environmental science undergrad). It makes it super difficult to plan your life when you are potentially moving to Toronto from another city and you can't even make plans to rent a moving van in advance, or renew your lease, etc.

The purest of empathy for anyone who is still waiting to hear news. <3

Feels like I'm in limbo.

Yes! I totally agree it's hard to plan out what to do for the upcoming year without a response.. hopefully by the end of April we all get a positive reply!

I think the first deposit of payment is due in June. So atleast if we handed our application before the deadline I expect an answer well before this..

Hey Guys, just wanted to say I contacted MT admissions email and they said "decisions have been sent out March 1st and are being continued to be sent out over the next several weeks". 

This is after the chair, Clare Brett, refered me to MT admissions. I guess we just have to wait..

Edited by Jules24

Hey Everyone!

I applied to the MT Program extremely late - this month actually (April). 

Just feeling super nervous about my application, because I have a 3-year degree (which is eligible according to the website) and my top 10 marks are high leaving my GPA at a B+. However, my degree is in dance so I decided to choose Health and Phys. Ed with my other teachable being Social Science for I/S given my credits. I am hoping my degree will be okay - I do have a lot of experience however teaching for the DPCDSB Grades 9-12, and various other schools, and extracurricular school programs having worked with students of all ages and abilities. I also own a dance studio that I started from the ground up, and currently fulfill all required roles myself from admin, finance, marketing, as well as teaching. I provided three letters, two of which are from current teachers in the school board, and one from my former Prof who graded me with an 'A.' I felt as though my statement letter was well-written and outlined my teaching, business, and professional dance experiences and how they all relate to teaching and this program. Given they do not have Dance as a teachable, I mentioned that I would like to take an AQ Course to specialize my teachable in dance just to make my interests clear. 

Does anyone have any advice on what exactly they look for?

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, hopeoise said:

I never thought I would be waiting until April 20th to hear back... I feel like we will find out in May at this point... Maybe even June... Who knows

I know.. I agree.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:30 PM, Jiggleypuff said:

Does anyone have any advice on what exactly they look for?

Thanks in advance!

I was accepted last year around March 4th for I/S chemistry and biology.
I was also accepted into the specialized UTS cohort after another set of additional applications (optional to apply, but I highly recommend to apply to this cohort after you are accepted for MT). This cohort provides various additional opportunities that other cohorts miss out on.

Speaking with some of the instructors that read through the application, they mostly wanted to see your how your philosophy of teaching developed from your experiences (hence questions #2 and #3 on the Statement of Intent letter). As far as grades go, OISE only looks at your sessional GPA from your most recent year. From what I recall, most of my colleagues had around A- or B+ averages.

Edited by Jackson8918