Master of teaching OISE 2018

Saf88

My application from last year still says "under review'" I have thousands of hours of classroom teaching experience, a bunch of professional language teaching certificates, and amazing references but still got rejected because of my grades. 

I applied again this year with better grades, and haven't heard back yet. 

I am hopeful, but I can't help telling myself that history might repeat itself. I really want this-i'm sure everyone else does too. Good luck and keep holding on; don't give up!

Edited by hopeful25

On 11/03/2018 at 9:25 PM, statusquo said:

Me tooooooo

Hey thanks

On 11/03/2018 at 9:22 PM, HopingToTeach1231 said:

Congrats!!! :) That's amazing! Have you decided to go to OISE? Also, what are your teachables? 

I am just hoping to get an email this week!!

Hey I have decided to go to OISE and thanks for the congrats - best of luck to you. They give you 3 weeks to decide once you get the email of acceptance, so I'm sure more will roll out past my March 2nd acceptance (in theory, & based on my offer, more acceptances should go out March 23rd, which is a week away) . I got in with Bio/Gen Sci (I/S; :))

Try not to worry, my best friend got his offer to meds @Toronto super late and eventually got in off the wait-list. If not, I am sure you'll really enjoy wherever you end up! 

Edited by HopefulTeacher101

3 hours ago, hopeful25 said:

My application from last year still says "under review'" I have thousands of hours of classroom teaching experience, a bunch of professional language teaching certificates, and amazing references but still got rejected because of my grades. 

I applied again this year with better grades, and haven't heard back yet. 

I am hopeful, but I can't help telling myself that history might repeat itself. I really want this-i'm sure everyone else does too. Good luck and keep holding on; don't give up!

Hopefully this year you receive better news!! The experience you have with better grades should give you a chance! What division did you apply for and with what teachable(s) ? 

1 hour ago, HopefulTeacher101 said:

Hey thanks

Hey I have decided to go to OISE and thanks for the congrats - best of luck to you. They give you 3 weeks to decide once you get the email of acceptance, so I'm sure more will roll out past my March 2nd acceptance (in theory, & based on my offer, more acceptances should go out March 23rd, which is a week away) . I got in with Bio/Gen Sci (I/S; :))

Try not to worry, my best friend got his offer to meds @Toronto super late and eventually got in off the weight-list. If not, I am sure you'll really enjoy wherever you end up! 

That's great, I am hoping to join you! Biology is my first teachable and then social science is my second for I/S :).

I'm just hoping to hear soon because this wait has been really long!! 

8 minutes ago, HopingToTeach1231 said:

That's great, I am hoping to join you! Biology is my first teachable and then social science is my second for I/S :).

I'm just hoping to hear soon because this wait has been really long!! 

Best of luck!!!

On 3/5/2018 at 6:00 PM, writethebeats said:

Just received my official offers to both the P/J and J/I streams via email via SGS upload.

On 3/5/2018 at 4:33 PM, Teachingintoronto said:

Thank you- and thank you everyone else!!.  I got an email today, not snail mail.  I checked my ACORN account this morning and it had said ‘invited’ and a few hours later I got the acceptance email saying to check my SGS account.  I don’t go to UofT by the way.  Also, I’m not sure when ACORN initially put ‘invited’ on my account, as today was the first time I’ve checked it. 

Congrats to both! I received an offer too via email/SGS

I was just wondering if either of your ACORN enrolment statuses has changed yet from invited to enrolled (if you have accepted the offer). Also, do you think we are ever going to get a fuller package via postal mail, or is the email pretty much it?

Thanks!

Edited by elizabethstewart111

21 hours ago, elizabethstewart111 said:

Congrats to both! I received an offer too via email/SGS

I was just wondering if either of your ACORN enrolment statuses has changed yet from invited to enrolled (if you have accepted the offer). Also, do you think we are ever going to get a fuller package via postal mail, or is the email pretty much it?

Thanks!

I'm a current UofT student. As far as I know, it usually changes to registered after you make your payments. for example, it shows invited for 2018 HBA summer session for me. It will only change if I choose my summer courses and make a payment.

3 hours ago, worriedstudent2123232 said:

seriously.. another day no news

5 hours ago, bianca07 said:

New day... has anyone heard? I've been checking this forum like crazy every day haha.

1 hour ago, georginaluu95 said:

no news yet! 

Right, now I guess we have to wait until the weekend is over (at least)..

Have any of you accepted offers anywhere else or just waiting for OISE?

13 minutes ago, HopingToTeach1231 said:

I accepted my offer for BEd at York while I wait 

I'm currently at OISE for MT and I wanted to share some of the things that have been going on this year to help with your decision making:  

OISE's program is more expensive at $12,500/year. Classes have more hours than a typical B.Ed. course, thereby necessitating a summer term. However, you earn the same number of credits of a B.Ed.; because of this, QECO (The Qualifications Evaluation Council of Ontario) has classified it the same as a B.Ed in January 2018. You cannot use this "Master's" toward principal qualifications. You also come out at the same pay scale as you would with a B.Ed (A3). OISE has been, for the last few years, vaguely putting out the idea that you come out at a higher pay scale (A3+ or A4) and have a Master's degree and teacher certification. It's become clear that this is not the case. The entire student body is seething with outrage. Many students have dropped the program. I've heard from one friend who left that she spoke to another Canadian university and that they don't consider this program to be a Master's at all. 

As for the program itself: The research component of this program is laughable. In fact, nearly all of the courses are filled with fluff. Every class is three hours, and for most of these classes, half of it is spent "reflecting." There is no rigour in this program, no organization, no accountability. I cannot believe the gargantuan gap in quality between undergrad at U of T and this mess.

Ask yourself this: Is it worth spending 50% more for a glorified B.Ed. that is a Master's in name only, that is 25% longer, for no added benefit? 

17 hours ago, frustratedatoise said:

I'm currently at OISE for MT and I wanted to share some of the things that have been going on this year to help with your decision making:  

OISE's program is more expensive at $12,500/year. Classes have more hours than a typical B.Ed. course, thereby necessitating a summer term. However, you earn the same number of credits of a B.Ed.; because of this, QECO (The Qualifications Evaluation Council of Ontario) has classified it the same as a B.Ed in January 2018. You cannot use this "Master's" toward principal qualifications. You also come out at the same pay scale as you would with a B.Ed (A3). OISE has been, for the last few years, vaguely putting out the idea that you come out at a higher pay scale (A3+ or A4) and have a Master's degree and teacher certification. It's become clear that this is not the case. The entire student body is seething with outrage. Many students have dropped the program. I've heard from one friend who left that she spoke to another Canadian university and that they don't consider this program to be a Master's at all. 

As for the program itself: The research component of this program is laughable. In fact, nearly all of the courses are filled with fluff. Every class is three hours, and for most of these classes, half of it is spent "reflecting." There is no rigour in this program, no organization, no accountability. I cannot believe the gargantuan gap in quality between undergrad at U of T and this mess.

Ask yourself this: Is it worth spending 50% more for a glorified B.Ed. that is a Master's in name only, that is 25% longer, for no added benefit? 

I actually have counter- arguments for all of this because this person is being super immature trying to scare people away. This is my reply, and why MT candidates should not worry about any of this (as much as you can) : 

1) No beating around the bush, its more expensive. But that price also comes with the name... there is a reason it is ranked 11th in the world, and how the name is recognised around the world. I have experience at an international school, and you'd be surprised with the # of OISE grads in leadership roles across the world (I sure was)... I'm sure some of this is replicated on the private level (to some degree, as small as it may be). My following points only add to the benefits of investing in OISE's tuition fee.
2) As for the pay level, I already have a MSc, and I can tell you that you only get paid $1,200 a year MORE than a teacher without a Master's. Although an OISE MT grad is not recognised as a Master's on the pay-scale, it still is recognised as a MASTER'S DEGREE. I had to simply ask myself, what looks better, another master's, or another bachelor's. The answer was simple, and had nothing to do with the $1,200/year Master's bonus (it's almost comical. They should double down if anything ;). Even if this was my first master's I would be proud. Don't let this guy bog you down. Over-time the MT degree will have more to show for itself (as it's still a new program), as there are only 700 total spots between MA (early childhood) + MT, HALF the total number of former OISE B.Ed spots. 

3) Your source of info is wrong. You heard from a friend who left and spoke to 'another university' who did not consider it to be a Master's program. I applied to all Ontario B.Ed programs, and each one tried to convince me that they were the right school, and that the MT degree is a 'glorified B.Ed' (you literally quoted them), and tried to discredit it. OISE is going to attract the most impressive candidates, not simply because of the MT program, but because of its reputation. OF COURSE OTHER SCHOOLS ARE GOING TO TRY AND CONVINCE YOU TO COME TO THEIR PROGRAM OVER THE MT. To paraphrase one school in an article I read on this topic, [It's not fair that OISE get's to chose between the best of the best, as the master's degree would be more attractive, leaving the other schools with lesser-qualified candidates]. One school's angry faculty can't discredit a program's entitlement to graduating you with a Master's, and even if the pay does not change, you still have a Master's over a bachelor's. 
4) Research - glad you brought this up. You put into your research project what you want to get out of it. Of course the course (heh) is going to be a joke, but if you want to pursue research and are passionate about your project, I'm sure you'll get out of it what you put in. I should say I'm biased (due to writing & defending), and have an idea of where I want my research to go. I want to use my project's findings as a talking point during an interview, explaining why my educational intervention was able to increase students' learning due to heavy research informed practice (hoping to reject that Ho...lol). I think everyone should have this mindset, and explore an area of educational research in which they are passionate about. Like I said before, you probably get what you put into it, and I plan to put in a lot and not 'coast' by. 

5) 25% longer. Except for Queen's and UOIT which go 16 months straight (I only know about Ontario schools), the B.Ed programs have summer offs, while the MT program requires you to work through the first summer. TBH, that was a plus in my books because who needs a 4 month break during a B.Ed
6) Your claim that people are dropping the program... sure.... if they have their hours why would they drop the MT for a B.Ed if (as you say) they are 'virtually the same'. If they are indeed the same, they would tough it out and finish their 2nd year, and not lose all of the 'same' courses and practicum hours. 
7) It's a master's in TEACHING not a Master's in Ed or a Phd or an Ed.D. It's to prepare you to become a leading TEACHER and NOT administrator (i.e. principle, but you can still be the subject head). Carry on with an M.Ed or PhD/Ed.D if that's your true passion, or just change to that program if your true passion is beyond being a teacher. 
**All things you have said point to you being an upset candidate, and not a current MT candidate who is in the middle of practicum... just saying**

So I asked myself: Spending 50% more (there are these things called grants) for the name and program is worth it in my books. I hear horror stories of people stuck on supply for 9 months-3 years. Take any advantage you can get, and a master's looks better than a bachelor's on paper. I'm sure you can live without the extra $1,200/year (except when your child goes to uni and has a list of first year text books #FirstYearMistakes). You call it 'glorified' based on a competing school's description. In stat's we call that a biased sample (but you should know that, it being easy and stuff). Finally, the benefits speak for themselves (refer to points 1-7). 

BE GLAD YOU'RE IN THE PROGRAM OR HAVE GOTTEN YOUR MT ACCEPTANCE!

IF YOU'RE WAITING - BEST OF LUCK!

Edited by HopefulTeacher101

3 hours ago, HopefulTeacher101 said:

I actually have counter- arguments for all of this because this person is being super immature trying to scare people away. This is my reply, and why MT candidates should not worry about any of this (as much as you can) : 

1) No beating around the bush, its more expensive. But that price also comes with the name... there is a reason it is ranked 11th in the world, and how the name is recognised around the world. I have experience at an international school, and you'd be surprised with the # of OISE grads in leadership roles across the world (I sure was)... I'm sure some of this is replicated on the private level (to some degree, as small as it may be). My following points only add to the benefits of investing in OISE's tuition fee.
2) As for the pay level, I already have a MSc, and I can tell you that you only get paid $1,200 a year MORE than a teacher without a Master's. Although an OISE MT grad is not recognised as a Master's on the pay-scale, it still is recognised as a MASTER'S DEGREE. I had to simply ask myself, what looks better, another master's, or another bachelor's. The answer was simple, and had nothing to do with the $1,200/year Master's bonus (it's almost comical. They should double down if anything ;). Even if this was my first master's I would be proud. Don't let this guy bog you down. Over-time the MT degree will have more to show for itself (as it's still a new program), as there are only 700 total spots between MA (early childhood) + MT, HALF the total number of former OISE B.Ed spots. 

3) Your source of info is wrong. You heard from a friend who left and spoke to 'another university' who did not consider it to be a Master's program. I applied to all Ontario B.Ed programs, and each one tried to convince me that they were the right school, and that the MT degree is a 'glorified B.Ed' (you literally quoted them), and tried to discredit it. OISE is going to attract the most impressive candidates, not simply because of the MT program, but because of its reputation. OF COURSE OTHER SCHOOLS ARE GOING TO TRY AND CONVINCE YOU TO COME TO THEIR PROGRAM OVER THE MT. To paraphrase one school in an article I read on this topic, [It's not fair that OISE get's to chose between the best of the best, as the master's degree would be more attractive, leaving the other schools with lesser-qualified candidates]. One school's angry faculty can't discredit a program's entitlement to graduating you with a Master's, and even if the pay does not change, you still have a Master's over a bachelor's. 
4) Research - glad you brought this up. You put into your research project what you want to get out of it. Of course the course (heh) is going to be a joke, but if you want to pursue research and are passionate about your project, I'm sure you'll get out of it what you put in. I should say I'm biased (due to writing & defending), and have an idea of where I want my research to go. I want to use my project's findings as a talking point during an interview, explaining why my educational intervention was able to increase students' learning due to heavy research informed practice (hoping to reject that Ho...lol). I think everyone should have this mindset, and explore an area of educational research in which they are passionate about. Like I said before, you probably get what you put into it, and I plan to put in a lot and not 'coast' by. 

5) 25% longer. Except for Queen's and UOIT which go 16 months straight (I only know about Ontario schools), the B.Ed programs have summer offs, while the MT program requires you to work through the first summer. TBH, that was a plus in my books because who needs a 4 month break during a B.Ed
6) Your claim that people are dropping the program... sure.... if they have their hours why would they drop the MT for a B.Ed if (as you say) they are 'virtually the same'. If they are indeed the same, they would tough it out and finish their 2nd year, and not lose all of the 'same' courses and practicum hours. 
7) It's a master's in TEACHING not a Master's in Ed or a Phd or an Ed.D. It's to prepare you to become a leading TEACHER and NOT administrator (i.e. principle, but you can still be the subject head). Carry on with an M.Ed or PhD/Ed.D if that's your true passion, or just change to that program if your true passion is beyond being a teacher. 
**All things you have said point to you being an upset candidate, and not a current MT candidate who is in the middle of practicum... just saying**

So I asked myself: Spending 50% more (there are these things called grants) for the name and program is worth it in my books. I hear horror stories of people stuck on supply for 9 months-3 years. Take any advantage you can get, and a master's looks better than a bachelor's on paper. I'm sure you can live without the extra $1,200/year (except when your child goes to uni and has a list of first year text books #FirstYearMistakes). You call it 'glorified' based on a competing school's description. In stat's we call that a biased sample (but you should know that, it being easy and stuff). Finally, the benefits speak for themselves (refer to points 1-7). 

BE GLAD YOU'RE IN THE PROGRAM OR HAVE GOTTEN YOUR MT ACCEPTANCE!

IF YOU'RE WAITING - BEST OF LUCK!

You're not even in the program so you have no idea what you're talking about and resort to weak personal attacks. I'm not going to write a wall of text like you. It's also funny that you wrote a giant response earlier, deleted it, and then wrote this.

1) Practicums are over. It's March break. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

2) I'm not calling it glorified based on info from other school's competing programs (FYI: my friend wasn't inquiring about that school's B.Ed. program when they spoke - it was unrelated). QECO (the only opinion that matters; your blissfully ignorant one is worthless, I'm afraid) has deemed it a glorified B.Ed. because the courses in M.T. are indistinguishable from those in a B.Ed., hence why you have no benefits a Master's would normally give you on top of your teacher certification.

3) "MT program requires you to work through the first summer. TBH, that was a plus in my books because who needs a 4 month break during a B.Ed" -- this is the dumbest thing I've ever read. 

4) You don't need an M.Ed. to be an admin. Again, QECO doesn't recognize M.T. as a Master's because its courses are indistinguishable from those in a B.Ed. 

5) FYI you don't write a thesis/MRP in this program. You write a 10-page paper in each year. It's up to you whether the topics are related.

To those of you who had their hearts set on OISE - just consider the pros and cons. After the switch to two-year B.Ed. in Ontario, the program does nothing more than any other teacher's college program in Ontario. 

Edited by frustratedatoise

16 hours ago, frustratedatoise said:

You're not even in the program so you have no idea what you're talking about and resort to weak personal attacks. I'm not going to write a wall of text like you. It's also funny that you wrote a giant response earlier, deleted it, and then wrote this.

1) Practicums are over. It's March break. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

2) I'm not calling it glorified based on info from other school's competing programs (FYI: my friend wasn't inquiring about that school's B.Ed. program when they spoke - it was unrelated). QECO (the only opinion that matters; your blissfully ignorant one is worthless, I'm afraid) has deemed it a glorified B.Ed. because the courses in M.T. are indistinguishable from those in a B.Ed., hence why you have no benefits a Master's would normally give you on top of your teacher certification.

3) "MT program requires you to work through the first summer. TBH, that was a plus in my books because who needs a 4 month break during a B.Ed" -- this is the dumbest thing I've ever read. 

4) You don't need an M.Ed. to be an admin. Again, QECO doesn't recognize M.T. as a Master's because its courses are indistinguishable from those in a B.Ed. 

5) FYI you don't write a thesis/MRP in this program. You write a 10-page paper in each year. It's up to you whether the topics are related.

To those of you who had their hearts set on OISE - just consider the pros and cons. After the switch to two-year B.Ed. in Ontario, the program does nothing more than any other teacher's college program in Ontario. 

There wasn't a single personal attack in what the previous user said, and nothing you say hear has anything to do with the points they brought up.

You mistakenly think that the merits of a program are measured and exhausted by how it is grouped by the QECO. While the QECO puts the MT in the same pay scale group as other B.Ed's, it is still a master's level degree from one of the top teacher education institutions in the world, which makes it a more attractive credential. OISEmt is right about the significance of the MT in a tough job market. Even if the degree is only a Master's in name, that is something it has to it's credit that B.Ed's do not. If the MT were the EXACT same as any other B.Ed, picking the MT would  clearly be the better option, as it is a recognized Master's degree. At the very least, it provides a higher credential that can give someone the best competitive advantage in a tough job market. And as OISEmt mentioned, OISE is recognized internationally, thus opening up more opportunities, which is not something every institution can say about themselves. So, it's simply false to say that it does nothing more than any other teacher's college program in Ontario.

If I'm going to put in the same work for the same number of credits, but I can earn an Internationally recognized Master's degree instead, why wouldn't I? Why wouldn't anyone? Besides the cost, there's no argument. 

On 3/16/2018 at 7:18 PM, HopingToTeach1231 said:

I accepted my York offer while I wait to hear back from OISE!

2 hours ago, worriedstudent2123232 said:

at this point.. i just stopped looking at my email or this forum! at this rate, the acceptance/rejection probably will come in september! :[

I agree :(