Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

20 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

It does, thank you! Apparently sometimes people don't receive the email until a while after their status updates. Do you mind sharing when you got the email? Sorry to be so annoying!

No worries! I received the email at 5:22pm today. I hadn't checked the portal since a couple of hours ago, so I can't speak to the amount of time between the portal change and the email. 

5 minutes ago, KS100 said:

No worries! I received the email at 5:22pm today. I hadn't checked the portal since a couple of hours ago, so I can't speak to the amount of time between the portal change and the email. 

Thank you so much!! I really hope you get off the waitlist. Is it your top choice?

Rejected today. Applied for advanced standing clinical residential. 4.0 Gpa, NASW award winner and scholarship winner for my writing skills, have amazing experience and am an active campus member, President of social work club and member of 7 national honor societies... so much volunteer experience and overcame many hardships in life. Can’t believe it. Although I must admit, I am relieved deep down. Good luck to everyone else! 

7 minutes ago, abswk said:

Rejected today. Applied for advanced standing clinical residential. 4.0 Gpa, NASW award winner and scholarship winner for my writing skills, have amazing experience and am an active campus member, President of social work club and member of 7 national honor societies... so much volunteer experience and overcame many hardships in life. Can’t believe it. Although I must admit, I am relieved deep down. Good luck to everyone else! 

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. Kinda speechless that you got flat-out rejected with such amazing stats... why are you relieved, if you don't mind me asking? (If you just want to be done with this forum and this whole experience, I respect that completely.)

Long time lurker and have really appreciated this forum! I got denied today as well. Advance standing advanced general practice and programming. 3.9 GPA, two years of work experience, created a BSW placement that I did in Scotland, research project I initiated and presented, started several student organizations, was on five student organization executive boards, and so on. Relieved as well to have finally heard, even if it was a rejection. All the best to everyone!

45 minutes ago, abswk said:

Omigosh, I’m so sorry to hear that! You have an incredible resume... you’re going to do so many great things! 

18 minutes ago, sj42 said:

Long time lurker and have really appreciated this forum! I got denied today as well. Advance standing advanced general practice and programming. 3.9 GPA, two years of work experience, created a BSW placement that I did in Scotland, research project I initiated and presented, started several student organizations, was on five student organization executive boards, and so on. Relieved as well to have finally heard, even if it was a rejection. All the best to everyone!

I’m so sorry to hear that! You have impressive stats... I know you’ll continue to do awesome things!

35 minutes ago, sj42 said:

I’m sorry to hear this as well. As @Chebrutta said, I’m sure you’re going to go on to do amazing things!

I wonder... is there anyone here for Advanced Standing that has yet to hear back? Is it possible that they’ve gotten to everyone from that track?

Edited by doctormelody

16 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

I’m sorry to hear this as well. As @Chebrutta said, I’m sure you’re going to go on to do amazing things!

I wonder... is there anyone here for Advanced Standing that has yet to hear back? Is it possible that they’ve gotten to everyone from that track?

I'm advanced standing and haven't heard back yet. I applied late though (2/13). I'm getting really nervous now ........................................

35 minutes ago, bustelo4lyfe said:

I'm advanced standing and haven't heard back yet. I applied late though (2/13). I'm getting really nervous now ........................................

Aw, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to freak you out! I was just wondering if they were saving the rejections to send out en masse at the end, or if they are still just getting back to a few people at the time. But if there are still people waiting to hear back, then it must be the latter. Does that make sense? 

A more plausible theory is that the advanced standing people that heard back today just applied earlier than you did. Or were you saying that you were just intimidated by their stats? I would be as well but they’re a different track than me so my brain has just refused to process it. Haha.

Oh man!! Those stats are super intimidating!! I’m still waiting for a response and I applied advance standing 2/14. My field advisor even submitted the undergraduate field form late. But, I think Columbia is just a long shot and I’m very happy with my acceptance at CSULB. I did the orientation on Sat at CSULB and already feel excited & scared on how heavy the curriculum is for Advanced Standing. 

25 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Aw, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to freak you out! I was just wondering if they were saving the rejections to send out en masse at the end, or if they are still just getting back to a few people at the time. But if there are still people waiting to hear back, then it must be the latter. Does that make sense? 

A more plausible theory is that the advanced standing people that heard back today just applied earlier than you did. Or were you saying that you were just intimidated by their stats? I would be as well but they’re a different track than me so my brain has just refused to process it. Haha.

I applied 12/1 if that's any help!

53 minutes ago, sj42 said:

I applied 12/1 if that's any help!

It does help, thank you!

Are there any non-Advanced Standing priority applicants still waiting? Just trying to get a sense of whether they’ve gotten back to all the priority folks or not!

Sorry to hear of some rejections today. I’m a firm believer that things happen for a reason though and that you will all go on to do amazing things and touch many lives along the way regardless of which institution you attend. 

On 3/24/2018 at 11:42 AM, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Quick question to admitted Columbia students.! For those who have received their financial packages, do you mind sharing what you received? Specifically for advanced standing applicants. If you don’t mind sharing of course!  If you would rather PM me, you are more than welcome to.

Just a little update - they accepted my appeal but only gave me $1,000 more. Not quite what I hoped for but I suppose every little bit helps! 

I will be accepting my admission this week. 

Considering those that just got rejected with those amazing stats I believe I will be also. I applied too late. I think i am going to apply for spring admission if I am rejected. I have a 4.0gpa, national and state awards, leadership service positions ect, and have been in the field for a few years as a substance abuse counselor. Applied to 2 year clinical online. I shouldve applied sooner. 

Edited by MSW2018??

5 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

I really hope you get in. You applied priority right? 

That’s so kind! I hope you receive good news as well! And no, I applied 2/15, but I think all the people that just got rejected with amazing stats applied for Advanced Standing, so I’m holding onto a glimmer of hope, I guess.

4 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

That’s so kind! I hope you receive good news as well! And no, I applied 2/15, but I think all the people that just got rejected with amazing stats applied for Advanced Standing, so I’m holding onto a glimmer of hope, I guess.

Yes thats true. I am not advanced standing either. But i think they are filling up