Columbia Social Work Program Fall 2018

lanabeni

Question: do we think that when we/applicants merely call to check on the status of our application, it's 'annoying,' for lack of a better word/negatively impacts the odds of our acceptance? I was waitlisted but can't stop fixating on this. I called a few times to ask about my application's status, though I never gave them a deadline. Anyone have any insight on this one?

Edited by KS100

2 hours ago, KS100 said:

Question: do we think that when we/applicants merely call to check on the status of our application, it's 'annoying,' for lack of a better word/negatively impacts the odds of our acceptance? I was waitlisted but can't stop fixating on this. I called a few times to ask about my application's status, though I never gave them a deadline. Anyone have any insight on this one?

I think it does. I told them I was not allowed to receive anymore extensions from another school and that I needed to respond to them by March 15. The response I got was simply “you’ll receive an answer within the next 10 days.” They then waited until March 15 at 5pm to let me know I was waitlisted. I was hesitant to ask because I felt that something like that would happen and I believe I may have possibly been accepted had I not said anything, but it was true. Other schools were getting frustrated with me and I needed to know an answer. I understand the fixation because I keep wondering if I would have been outright accepted had I not said anything, but at the same time I can sense this was due to me giving them a deadline and it’s weird that they would be petty for something like that. Especially since they had my completed application since November 11.

8 hours ago, Holli82 said:

Do we think they quit after the fraud scandal at the teacher's college? Not that it was connected to the SSW faculty at ALL but it wasn't a good look for Columbia overall.

It’s possible? I’m not super clear on the details of what happened there, to be entirely honest with you. 

6 hours ago, KS100 said:

Unfortunately, I think this might be the case, although it shouldn’t be. If they’re going to penalize people for calling then they should say explicitly not to contact them in the application instructions, imho. I don’t know. The email they sent me about getting back to everyone at the beginning of April was very polite and friendly so that really threw me for a loop in terms of the contrast with how they seem to have been treating everyone else.

13 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Unfortunately, I think this might be the case, although it shouldn’t be. If they’re going to penalize people for calling then they should say explicitly not to contact them in the application instructions, imho. I don’t know. The email they sent me about getting back to everyone at the beginning of April was very polite and friendly so that really threw me for a loop in terms of the contrast with how they seem to have been treating everyone else.

14 hours ago, doctormelody said:

It’s possible? I’m not super clear on the details of what happened there, to be entirely honest with you. 

Me either, I can't find credible new sources tbh

On 3/31/2018 at 9:09 PM, doctormelody said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. I called around the second week of February and received my acceptance the following week. It seems highly unlikely that the person answering the phones (likely an administrative person) is also reviewing applications. 

35 minutes ago, rosieposie said:

I don't think this is necessarily true. I called around the second week of February and received my acceptance the following week. It seems highly unlikely that the person answering the phones (likely an administrative person) is also reviewing applications. 

Yeah, that’s a good point. The girl who answered the phone when I called Friday sounded super young and I have a feeling she was like a student employee. But something weird definitely happened in @Sunset95‘s case. Maybe it’s different if you give them a deadline? Idk.

7 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

waiting waiting waiting

Ugh, I’m sorry to hear that. I know this has been said many times, but it’s insane that they expect us to wait until mid- to late April. They gotta know that most other schools will require a decision before then.

2 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Ugh, I’m sorry to hear that. I know this has been said many times, but it’s insane that they expect us to wait until mid- to late April. They gotta know that most other schools will require a decision before then.

lol... i was forced to deposit AND register for classes already at another school or I would've lost my spot. I think I already told you but I applied to Fordham and University at Buffalo. UB is a highly competitive state school ... they only accept 45 people in their online MSW program so I accepted and already registered for classes. They also rank #24 in the nation. Not bad! AND VERY CHEAP. https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/social-work-rankings/page+2

19 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

lol... i was forced to deposit AND register for classes already at another school or I would've lost my spot. I think I already told you but I applied to Fordham and University at Buffalo. UB is a highly competitive state school ... they only accept 45 people in their online MSW program so I accepted and already registered for classes. They also rank #24 in the nation. Not bad! AND VERY CHEAP. https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/social-work-rankings/page+2

Ugh, I’m sorry that they didn’t get back to you in time, that sucks. But it sounds like you found a great program regardless! I’m happy for you!! 

5 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Ugh, I’m sorry that they didn’t get back to you in time, that sucks. But it sounds like you found a great program regardless! I’m happy for you!! 

It is what it is. I'll be ok either way. Columbia's tuition is astronomical. If I get in I would only consider it with a great aid package. If not, I won't accept and stick with UB. I'm probably not going to Fordham either. I would rather transfer to Columbia and save money....

9 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

It is what it is. I'll be ok either way. Columbia's tuition is astronomical. If I get in I would only consider it with a great aid package. If not, I won't accept and stick with UB. I'm probably not going to Fordham either. I would rather transfer to Columbia and save money....

That makes sense. I hadn’t thought about transferring but that’s definitely something to consider as well. Does your program start in the summer or fall?

47 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

That makes sense. I hadn’t thought about transferring but that’s definitely something to consider as well. Does your program start in the summer or fall?

It is a fall start but I would take a class this summer to get a head start on things. And yes transferring is an idea.. lol. Why wouldn't anyone consider it? I know I am. Even if I get in I am thinking about just waiting a year to transfer to save some serious money and just graduate from Columbia,

18 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

It is a fall start but I would take a class this summer to get a head start on things. And yes transferring is an idea.. lol. Why wouldn't anyone consider it? I know I am. Even if I get in I am thinking about just waiting a year to transfer to save some serious money and just graduate from Columbia,

Gotcha. I mean for me it's that I wouldn't want to have to move after I get settled in a new place and my partner gets a job there, but if you go to an online program obviously that isn't a consideration. However, most of the online programs that I looked into didn't offer any scholarships, which was a big deterrent.

Edited by doctormelody

5 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Gotcha. I mean for me it's that I wouldn't want to have to move after I get settled in a new place and my partner gets a job there, but if you go to an online program obviously that isn't a consideration. However, most of the online programs that I looked into didn't offer any scholarships, which was a big deterrent.

Yes most do not offer any aid. I live in NY though so I can understand completely your struggle. I can take the train to columbia or fordham and be there in about a half hour if needed. I just don't feel like commuting lol. The city is not somewhere I would want to live ever. I can understand why someone would want the experience, but if your from here its like a headache. It really is the city that never sleeps... and it is pretty much just full of bums. It's actually really sad.

like everywhere you walk there are people begging for money, ect. It is something you just get used to, and it is filthy. lol. But there are nice areas obviously. but the rent is INSANE. the food prices are crazy. I mean a pack of cigarettes, for example (I don't smoke) is over $15.00... like everything is just jacked up in the city. One time on new years I spent 10$ on a slice of plain pizza lol

11 minutes ago, MSW2018?? said:

Yes most do not offer any aid. I live in NY though so I can understand completely your struggle. I can take the train to columbia or fordham and be there in about a half hour if needed. I just don't feel like commuting lol. The city is not somewhere I would want to live ever. I can understand why someone would want the experience, but if your from here its like a headache. It really is the city that never sleeps... and it is pretty much just full of bums. It's actually really sad.

Yeah, I lived in the city for three years (I went to NYU for undergrad) and that was pretty much enough for me for life, lol. My best friend lives in Brooklyn and I could maaaaybe make that work for a couple years but I can't imagine settling there long-term. I do see the good things about it, too, obviously (especially since I moved back to my hometown where everything closes at 9pm at the latest), but overall I just find it too overwhelming most of the time. And yeah the rent is truly prohibitive, especially if you don't want to contribute to the whole gentrification epidemic (I'm white, lol).

Edited by doctormelody