Harris PhD Public Policy F18

Saphiyya

In past years it looks like early February is around when all the public policy PhD programs release their results at least according to the results board. However, there are so few data points it is hard to paint a full picture when compared to how many results there are for Political Science or Biology.

On 01/02/2018 at 4:07 AM, GradNYC said:

GEEZE.. the silence is killing me.  Do Harris interview PhD applicants?

According to their admissions FAQ, there is no formal interview process for PhD applicants.

I recently listened to their last admissions webinar. Apparently, the existing grad students shortlist the applications that will be reviewed by the relevant professors on the admissions committee. I thought that was an interesting approach.

Yes, there was even a current grad student on the webinar who was explaining what they look for in applicants. I think she said that they look for strong LoRs in which the professor would ideally comment on how the student ranks among other PhDs he has recommended and placed in the past. Unsurprisingly, they also look for 'fit' and the candidate's research interests in the SOP. She also said that they look for evidence of a strong quant background - you would ideally have linear algebra, real analysis, and differential equations.

I wonder where are they in the process now. They held another webinar on Friday (Feb 2) but I didn't manage to attend it.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Saphiyya said:

Has anyone heard anything from Harris for Phd apps... good or bad.....anything?

Absolutely nothing--At this point I think I may two-step verification all of my personal email accounts and turn my phone off...

On 22/02/2018 at 2:21 AM, GradNYC said:

I think considering they just started last week, we shouldn't expect anything until March. 

That's interesting. Did you call them to find out? I guess it makes sense that they are on a different schedule this year since we had a January deadline. Pretty sure they had a December deadline last year.

Y'all, can anyone share what the "housing email" people are talking about on the survey said? 

Here's the tweet from Blattman: 

It's obviously from 10 days ago, but I don't think it gives us much information because we don't have any clue whether A. He isn't on the AdCom this year and is reading the International Dev applications only (100 doesn't seem like that many to me, so it could be the case) or B. He is on the AdCom and is sifting through a first cut of all of them.

If it's A. The process could be much further along then we thought B. Then we've obviously got a lot more time to kill.

Apparently someone checked the website and learned s/he has been rejected...

Edit: I have been rejected too, huh...

Edited by Cookiz