I applied to Northwestern Univeristy Rhetoric and Public Culture concentration and Wayne State University's Democracy and Particpatory Culture (which is a rhetoric focus) because my main theory is critical media studies, and though ethnography is my main data collection method (originally trained in anthropology as undergrad) I focus on ideological articulations of justice, democracy and inequality in activist coalitions across race, gender and class. My research puts me primarily in rhetoric (intellectual or ideological studies usually falls in those programs now).

10 hours ago, swazibound said:

@whitmanifesto That sounds quite intriguing! Which movements have you looked at? My work so far actually looks at the movements on the opposite spectrum, at the alt-right  movements. 

Mines intersectioanl, so I'm looking at where immigration, incarceration and environmental racism meets. Contemporary. 

16 hours ago, swazibound said:

Is anyone here planning on studying rhetoric? If so, what program did you apply for? What topic are you interested in studying? And... why rhetoric, exactly?

I'm planning on it! All of my applications were to rhetoric programs, though the only one I applied to that's in a comms department is at Illinois. The rest are in English departments. 

I'm very interested in public, political, and activist rhetorics, specifically how issues of truth affect public opinion. Some secondary interests in democratic deliberation and debate. Broad, I know.

@HopefulRhetorician Is it Urbana-Champaign's Communications dept you applied to in Illinois? The school has some of the largest news paper/journalism archives in the country, I was planning on applying there last year until I found out the POI I liked doesn't even live in the state anymore (we're both members of a very small conference, I was very disappointed to learn he doesn't take much advisees anymore).

@whitmanifesto It is! I didn't know of their vast archives, though I'll have to check it out now. There are several faculty I'm wanting to work with at UIUC, particularly those that handle American political rhetoric. Do you mind my asking whom you're referring to?

2 hours ago, HopefulRhetorician said:

@whitmanifesto It is! I didn't know of their vast archives, though I'll have to check it out now. There are several faculty I'm wanting to work with at UIUC, particularly those that handle American political rhetoric. Do you mind my asking whom you're referring to?

McChesney. He's really big in the critical analysis of political-economy of the news industry. There are a lot of political researchers tho. Their information/library sciences also have a lot of overlap in comm, esp with copy right and I intellectual property issues. Its a very good school, but I'm really attached to post-industrial areas for my research and if I get into UIC I can still access their archives.