M.Div vs. MTS/MAR/MA Admissions

ChristoWitch87

If you have any experience in this regard, what would you say are the primary differences in how adcomms look at M.Div vs. MTS/MAR/MA applicants? My gut would indicate that the M.Div process is perhaps more holistic whereas MTS/MAR/MA vetting would focus more narrowly on GPA, clarity of research interests, perhaps GREs, etc. Also, how different are the admissions percentages of these programs? 

While my own path is clear (M.Div) due to a desire for ordination, would it perhaps be advisable for those with more compelling soft factors than GPAs who've decided on an academic career to prove themselves in an M.Div rather than an MTS/MAR/MA (especially if they can get into a more prestigious M.Div)? How are M.Div degrees viewed when applying to PhD programs?

Edited by ChristoWitch87

Generally speaking, your distinction between M.Div and MTS/MAR/MA is true. The former is geared those considering the possibilities of ordination or certain doors that may be opened with an M.Div, whereas the latter is considering academia, professional schools, or needing to acquire skills for a niche field, such as becoming a religion reporter. MTS-style degrees tend to have lower acceptance rates and less funding, while M.Div programs generally have higher acceptance rates and more funding, often due to denominational donors. Keep in mind that M.Div programs are three years, whereas MTS programs are two. M.Div acceptance rates at top schools bounce between 40-60% whereas MTS programs are closer to 30-40%±.

My usual advice is that if a student has any inclination toward ordination, religious leadership, or a "ordination if rejected from PhD programs" - go for the M.Div. You'll get most/all of the same courses, you can spend more time with languages, most schools let you cater field supervision to your needs (I TA'ed undergraduate RS courses for a year). In cases where students already have strong grounding in language, solid GRE, and they simply need to check off the "have a Master's" box to even apply - go the MTS route. If you can honestly say, "If I'm resoundingly rejected by all PhD programs then I'd rather go work a cubicle job than work in ministry/non-profit," then definitely hit up the MTS route. Don't spend the extra year and take out the extra loans for work that will crush your soul.

M.Div applicants are a dime a dozen when it comes to applying to PhD programs, it's not going to affect anything. You've had an extra year in school so some parts of your app should reflect how you took advantage of that. If your M.Div wasn't competitive or you didn't feel that it prepared you, there's always an STM degree. The one case where an M.Div might trump MTS/MA is if you were going to propose a field of study that touches on "applied/practical theology," (liturgy, homiletics, some theology fields, some areas of ethics, etc.) often schools and/or advisors will expect you to have an M.Div.