Louisiana Schools 2018

18 hours ago, TurboDog15 said:

I just got off of the waitlist at LSUHSC-NO! Ahhh! Freaking out bc this is my #1 choice but now also torn bc I have an acceptance to Southeastern & they have opportunities to go for free vs. loans at LSUHSC. LSUHSC also starts in a month & I live in California currently!! Oi... big decision to make.. can anyone shed some insight? 

me personally, I would choose the cheaper option. 

56 minutes ago, edardi1 said:

me personally, I would choose the cheaper option. 

Yes, I definitely mulled this over! While Southeastern would definitely be more logical financially...I just don't think I can turn down the opportunity at LSU! I'm very interested in pediatric dysphagia & the medical side of speech :) 

45 minutes ago, TurboDog15 said:

Yes, I definitely mulled this over! While Southeastern would definitely be more logical financially...I just don't think I can turn down the opportunity at LSU! I'm very interested in pediatric dysphagia & the medical side of speech :) 

sounds like you made up your mind then :-)

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, CL2018 said:

yes. I interviewed this week and got in today. 

congratulations to you!  Do you know if they are late starting interviews?  Have they already sent out acceptances and are they now interviewing from the waitlist?  When did you first hear from them?

15 hours ago, slpcajun said:

congratulations to you!  Do you know if they are late starting interviews?  Have they already sent out acceptances and are they now interviewing from the waitlist?  When did you first hear from them?

Thank you!  I know someone on the forum said that they interviewed in march. So I'm guessing I was on the waitlist, but I'm not sure. I heard from them last week on Friday.

20 minutes ago, slpcajun said:

Anyone heard back from Southern University in Baton Rouge?

they received my application after the due date so they couldn't look at it. 

14 minutes ago, slpcajun said:

Oh, no!   What was the due date they used?   They told me TWICE April 15. 

April 15th, but since it was a Sunday they extended it to the 16th, however, they received my app on the 18th so they couldn't look at it, which makes no sense considering the app was postmarked on the 14th.  

56 minutes ago, edardi1 said:

April 15th, but since it was a Sunday they extended it to the 16th, however, they received my app on the 18th so they couldn't look at it, which makes no sense considering the app was postmarked on the 14th.  

I am so sorry to hear this!  Waiting to hear from anyone else?

6 minutes ago, slpcajun said:

Did you get in??

No ? So disappointed! I am a SLP-Assistant in Texas for the past 5.5 years, have plenty of internships associated with Speech Path, awesome letters of rec and personal statement. I think the GPA and GRE is what they weigh more heavily than anything else.

9 minutes ago, TX_SLP2be said:

No ? So disappointed! I am a SLP-Assistant in Texas for the past 5.5 years, have plenty of internships associated with Speech Path, awesome letters of rec and personal statement. I think the GPA and GRE is what they weigh more heavily than anything else.

I'm so sorry!  Their loss!  You sound like you'd have been a huge asset to their program.  What kind of GPA and GRE do you think they are looking for?

11 minutes ago, TX_SLP2be said:

Did you happen to apply at ULM in Monroe?

1 hour ago, slpcajun said:

I'm so sorry!  Their loss!  You sound like you'd have been a huge asset to their program.  What kind of GPA and GRE do you think they are looking for?

Thanks! I know they want a 3.0+ and high GRE scores; like other grad schools. I didn't apply to ULM. Have you heard anything yet?

The director of LSUHSC got back with me today and stated my transcripts weren't verified until Feb 7th.  This sucks.  This was the case with a few other programs I applied to as well because ENMU didn't send my final transcripts the day they were supposed to.  

57 minutes ago, edardi1 said:

The director of LSUHSC got back with me today and stated my transcripts weren't verified until Feb 7th.  This sucks.  This was the case with a few other programs I applied to as well because ENMU didn't send my final transcripts the day they were supposed to.  

Very, very upsetting!  I'm so sorry.  What is the best way to prevent this from happening?  It seems to be a somewhat common occurrence 

1 hour ago, slpcajun said:

Very, very upsetting!  I'm so sorry.  What is the best way to prevent this from happening?  It seems to be a somewhat common occurrence 

#1---Get rid of CSDCAS! But that doesn't seem likely, so here are my pointers:

1.  Send your transcripts as early as possbile, especially if the school utilizes CSDCAS because it takes 7 weeks for them to process transcripts.

2.  If you're taking classes in the fall semester, request your transcripts to be sent when grades are posted, overnight them, and double-check with them that day to make sure they have been sent!  That was the case for me!  

Anyways, I wish the best of luck to everyone else!

Edited by edardi1

• 1 month later...

I got a call yesterday that they accepted me at southern university. Originally I had gotten a rejection letter. I’m moving there from California & will be looking for a roommate if anyone’s interested! 

Edited by Missjyoung

• 3 weeks later...
On June 30, 2018 at 12:43 PM, Missjyoung said:

I got a call yesterday that they accepted me at southern university. Originally I had gotten a rejection letter. I’m moving there from California & will be looking for a roommate if anyone’s interested! 

Congrats to you!!!  Do you know what kind of GPA and GRE scores Southern University is looking for?  How many apply there and how many do they accept?  Is it competitive?  I hear they have Spring admissions, also.

• 6 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 6:24 PM, TurboDog15 said:

Hi! Have my interview with them tomorrow... any tips?! 

When I met with them over the summer they seemed very medical-based (they have a cadaver lab.. how cool). I don’t think GA positions are available but pretty well-esteemed faculty from what I hear & good research opportunities!! 

Hope this helps & hope your interview went well!! :) 

Hi I have my interview with LSU HSC on Thursday and was wondering if you could share any tips!! it is my first grad school interview and I'm super nervous/ unsure what to expect as far as material