PhD in History admission without funding.

marshmallow530

Hello everyone, here I have a question about the Ph.D. admission without funding. When I was applying graduate schools this year, I found that a lot of programs on their website saying that"If you want to be considered for funding, you should submit your application materials by xxx; If you do not consider the funding, your application deadline is xxx. "  Usually, if you do not consider the funding or scholarship, then the deadline is much later than the deadline for the funding offer.

I am applying for the History major Ph.D. programs this year, and I have some questions for the above "two deadlines".

First, if I want the department to consider me for both the offer and admission, do I need to email them to let them know? I submitted my application package by the offer deadline (the earlier one), and If I was turned down by them for the scholarship, do you think they will consider me for the admission without funding? Do I need to submit my application package for two times by the two deadlines to let the department to consider me for both the offer and the admission without funding?

Second, I want to know, based on the general situation, are there many schools giving Ph.D. admissions without funding? If I do not consider any funding, scholarship, or assistantship from the department, will my admission potential increase? Thank you so much for your help!!!

Did you admission specifically say that they won't be offering you funding? If it's not specifically stated, then I would politely ask the department when funding decisions will be made. 

Sure, there are schools that will admit you without funding BUT you don't want to go to those. If the program isn't willing to invest in you, why would you invest in it?