Civil & Environmental Engineering - Fall 2018 Applicants

strawberrykat

Got offer from Stanford last week!

and question.. so from my offer, it says "All offers are contingent on the verification of the fulfillment of admission requirements by Graduate Admissions, Student and Academic Services, Office of the University Registrar. If you accept our offer of admission, your application, including official transcripts/academic records, will be forwarded to Graduate Admissions for review."   Does it mean they still can turn down my offer?? I am so confused lol

But congrats to everyone who got accepted by different schools!!!

6 minutes ago, LEIRA_ said:

and question.. so from my offer, it says "All offers are contingent on the verification of the fulfillment of admission requirements by Graduate Admissions, Student and Academic Services, Office of the University Registrar. If you accept our offer of admission, your application, including official transcripts/academic records, will be forwarded to Graduate Admissions for review."   Does it mean they still can turn down my offer?? I am so confused lol

Just curious, did they offer you information about financial aid with that? All of my grad admissions have included a clause like that, I think it's just to make sure you actually graduate and don't fail out of all your classes just because you got into grad school. 

On 3/12/2018 at 5:53 PM, strawberrykat said:

@thanasist hi! Congrats on being admitted to UT! I believe most people are still waiting to hear back from the first three schools you mentioned, although I have seen some Berkeley posts. 

As far as UMich, I do know they had their open house this past weekend but if you haven't heard back yet, that's still better than a no! Did you follow up with your interviewer? 

No, after our interview - discussion I sent an email to thank him for the opportunity to discuss with him. He replied in a very positive and friendly manner and mentioned that he will be in touch soon. 

So I have not sent him anything since, but the deadline is approaching and have not heard back from him. 

In the results page there isn't anything about Phd in structural engineering in UMich. So I guess we can only wait. 

On 2/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, CMULiszt said:

PhD applicant here. 

I have applied to the civil engineering program (structural engineering direction) in several universities in the US. Just receive some invitations to the open house. No official offer yet! Currently I am the MS student in CMU. Good to hear your acceptance to CMU!

Good luck to you all!

How do you like CMU?

I've been admitted to the MMC program, but a bro told me that the professors hardly offered research positions and did their teaching thing only. Is that true?

51 minutes ago, LEIRA_ said:

No... this clause is generic. It just means that they could rescind the offer if you somehow decided to drop out of school this semester and not finishing your bachelor's degree. So, no worries!

Edited by ibtes

3 hours ago, LEIRA_ said:

@1PhDplz hey thanks for replying. that's a relief I thought they meant they still can reject me after I accept the offer haha

and no they did not give me any financial aid along with my offer :((

Do you think the financial aid offer will come later? or does Stanford notify all at once?

2 hours ago, strawberrykat said:

So, has anyone decided where they're going to go? (based on the acceptances they currently have) 

I have no clue! I have a full funding offer from one school, but the research match is only okay. Stanford would be a perfect research fit, but I have no idea if the debt would be worth it (assuming no financial aid), and there's no guarantee that they would have room for me in the PhD program. I wasnt even considering MIT because I assumed i wouldnt get in, so now I feel like i have to at least consider it because it's such a great opportunity. But seriously. The debt. MIT is 66k! That's a mortgage where I come from! 

I have no idea where to go. 

39 minutes ago, 1PhDplz said:

I have no clue! I have a full funding offer from one school, but the research match is only okay. Stanford would be a perfect research fit, but I have no idea if the debt would be worth it (assuming no financial aid), and there's no guarantee that they would have room for me in the PhD program. I wasnt even considering MIT because I assumed i wouldnt get in, so now I feel like i have to at least consider it because it's such a great opportunity. But seriously. The debt. MIT is 66k! That's a mortgage where I come from! 

I have no idea where to go. 

I think you said that MIT admitted you for MEng. If you want to pursue PhD in the future, wouldn't you need an MS?

3 hours ago, eddiebizi said:

Why is MIT taking so long for PhD apps??? Anybody here waiting to hear back from them?

MST applicant here. I think MS and PhD are in the same situation now. Emailed them and they said that decision should be sent this or next week. 

Edit: i think it’s more likely to be the next week since we are almost done with this week...

Edited by ibtes

@whitbeeThank you so much for your information about UT Austin. How did they say about funding? Will most of the admitted Ph.D. students receive financial support? I am in the Structural Engineering group, where very few newly admitted students would receive funding before enrollment. So I am not quite optimistic about receiving financial support.

@JolicYX I didn't get any "formal" info about that timeline, and I still haven't heard, but when I went to a visit weekend in March, they implied that's timeline they were aiming for. They're on spring break this week, so maybe that was a miscalculation on their part. Did you attend a visit for the Structural Department? I have no idea if most admitted PhD students will receive support. I'm also not sure about how it all works, the CAEE website says they only give out GRAs and TAs to students who have fully committed? I really love UT, but it's pretty hard to commit somewhere when you don't know if you have money to live on.

Was anyone else super disappointed in the Stanford visit day? I had professors telling me one thing about transitioning from MS to PhD and the grad students not just saying the opposite, but telling me the professors weren't being honest! Also, it was an 8 hour visit in one building. There wasn't even a campus tour for PhD applicants in EES and no one showed up to lead my lab tour!! 

I always thought I wanted to go to Stanford  (like, for the wholr duration of my undergrad), but not any more. At least this makes my grad school decision easier.

2 hours ago, 1PhDplz said:

Was anyone else super disappointed in the Stanford visit day? I had professors telling me one thing about transitioning from MS to PhD and the grad students not just saying the opposite, but telling me the professors weren't being honest! Also, it was an 8 hour visit in one building. There wasn't even a campus tour for PhD applicants in EES and no one showed up to lead my lab tour!! 

I always thought I wanted to go to Stanford  (like, for the wholr duration of my undergrad), but not any more. At least this makes my grad school decision easier.

Thanks for sharing your experience. So you mean that entering as an MS student and transitioning to a PhD is not possible there? One of the appealing parts of applying to Stanford was the potential to do just that, since it states on their website that it's more of an administrative step.

4 hours ago, 1PhDplz said:

I'd definitely like to hear more about this transitioning from MS to PhD? What were they being dishonest about?

Also I'm curious did they say anything about financial aid?