Civil & Environmental Engineering - Fall 2018 Applicants

strawberrykat

Anyone who applied MS in Transportation in Berkeley has heard anything yet? There are a bunch of offers released today but most of them are in Structural and Environmental... Kinda wondering if Berkeley sends these emails out by different programs at a different date. So painful...

2 hours ago, Zsuids said:

Anyone who applied MS in Transportation in Berkeley has heard anything yet? There are a bunch of offers released today but most of them are in Structural and Environmental... Kinda wondering if Berkeley sends these emails out by different programs at a different date. So painful...

You are not alone. I haven't heard anything from Berkeley either.

9 hours ago, ibtes said:

I really hope MIT will release their decisions this week... The waiting is painful.

Same. I did some deep diving on the results page and I expect that when we find out, it'll be by email. So I'm trying to force myself not to think about it until emails go out. :P

41 minutes ago, strawberrykat said:

Same. I did some deep diving on the results page and I expect that when we find out, it'll be by email. So I'm trying to force myself not to think about it until emails go out. :P

I agree, but I just can’t stop myself from refreshing the portal. And it always says “Congratulations your application is complete!” When I first saw this message in January I actually got excited, but then realized that it was not a congratulation for admission. :(

Man so many Berkeley results today. Feeling nervous as hell.

I looked back at results from previous year. It seems like not many international students get accepted to the structural program; most acceptance are from type A or U

10 minutes ago, BobW said:

Man so many Berkeley results today. Feeling nervous as hell.

I looked back at results from previous year. It seems like not many international students get accepted to the structural program; most acceptance are from type A or U

I'm pretty sure Berkeley faculty likes to keep their undergrads with 3.7+ and great extracurriculars.

I was on steel bridge, and we won nationals 2 years in a row. Nearly everyone I knew on those teams did SEMM at Berkeley. From what I remember, 3.5/3.6 was the cutoff at times, and other years it was much stricter. I also recall that it really depends on the admissions officer, which changes every year.

This year it was an old professor of mine :D

Edited by bigboots02

@bigboots02 Congrats! Looks like you're just waiting on Stanford now.

Are you going to be working with your old professor on your Masters Thesis? Or are you going to go for the comprehensive examination?

2 hours ago, BobW said:

@bigboots02 Congrats! Looks like you're just waiting on Stanford now.

Are you going to be working with your old professor on your Masters Thesis? Or are you going to go for the comprehensive examination?

Going for the comp. exam - I wasn't really close with the professor that was this year's admissions officer, but I did get an A- in his class... if I went for a thesis, it would be with one of the Berkeley professors that wrote my LOR.

Also, sad fact...one of the professors I admired the most just passed away last month. Some of my friends did their research/thesis with him (Stephen Mahin - rest in peace, you will be missed :() I really looked forward to learning so much from him. He was basically the "papa of structural engineering"

If I end up changing my mind and going for the thesis, I'll figure it out in the first semester. At the moment, I'd really like to go to industry, but my parents want me to lean towards a PhD and eventually end up a prof. alongside consulting and various engineering/non-engineering businesses :rolleyes:

....and yeah, Stanford. At this point since I applied by the second deadline = no funding....would rather not be 50-100k in debt :ph34r:

Question...is Berkeley your first choice then? Which professors are you interested in working with most? You can PM me if you don't want to share them on here.

Edited by bigboots02

On ‎2018‎年‎2‎月‎15‎日 at 11:07 PM, ibtes said:

Funding decision for UT Austin was released yesterday.

No news from MIT, Berkeley and U Washington yet.

I got a Ph.D. admission from UT Austin on Feb 3, but have not received any information on funding. My track is structural engineering. Which track are you in? Did you have any interview? The type of your financial aid is TA or RA? Appreciate your reply in advance.

19 hours ago, JolicYX said:

I got a Ph.D. admission from UT Austin on Feb 3, but have not received any information on funding. My track is structural engineering. Which track are you in? Did you have any interview? The type of your financial aid is TA or RA? Appreciate your reply in advance.

I'm in the transportation program. MS student so did not have any interview. I was admitted on 2/1 and got my RA offer on 2/14.

Does anyone know if Berkeley sends out decisions in one batch or in multiple waves? I heard a friend was admitted to their transportation MS yesterday but I did not hear anything... 

3 hours ago, ibtes said:

Does anyone know if Berkeley sends out decisions in one batch or in multiple waves? I heard a friend was admitted to their transportation MS yesterday but I did not hear anything... 

I'm on the same boat but in the structural stream. It seems like most of the offers were sent on March 1. Hopefully there's another wave, though a lot of rejections come mid March and April based on result from previous years

I thought I'd join this. The main ones i'm waiting to hear back from right now are MIT and berkeley

I was accepted into stanford about a week ago, but in the letter it said they could not offer financial aid at this time. I applied by the dec 5 financial aid deadline, i'm not thinking it's worth the 80k to go

The schools I have received funding/been told I'm very likely to get it are Virginia Tech and UT

3 minutes ago, coffeegirl said:

I thought I'd join this. The main ones i'm waiting to hear back from right now are MIT and berkeley

I was accepted into stanford about a week ago, but in the letter it said they could not offer financial aid at this time. I applied by the dec 5 financial aid deadline, i'm not thinking it's worth the 80k to go

The schools I have received funding/been told I'm very likely to get it are Virginia Tech and UT

Accepted: Stanford, UT Austin, Virginia Tech, UIUC, Columbia

Waiting: Berkeley, MIT

13 minutes ago, coffeegirl said:

Accepted: Stanford, UT Austin, Virginia Tech, UIUC, Columbia

Waiting: Berkeley, MIT

I’m also waiting for Berkeley and MIT! I think according to historical data MIT should send out acceptances next week. 

I've been accepted to an MS at Wisconsin-Madison and a PhD at UCLA, both with a focus on water resources. No word on funding yet, but when I visited Wisconsin last week the professor said they would notify me about funding in a few weeks. My background is in Earth Sciences and I also applied to several grad programs in that field.

At what point is it acceptable to ask about funding? The acceptance letter for a program I'm interested in said decisions for funding would be made by the end of march, but the visit day is next week. I'm planning to attend the visit day, but I'd rather know if this school is even an option for me before really investing time and energy into preparing for the department open house...

15 hours ago, coffeegirl said:

Is it Stanford? If so I'm in the same boat, I've been told they give out very little funding so I'm not very hopeful. I'm trying to decide if it's worth going to visit day..

Yes. I read on their website that they give out 9-10 full tuition scholarships with a stipend for the entering masters class of 30-40 students (I only found that out from looking at the FAQ section on the environmental engineering program page). I guess I'll just be patient. I decided to go to the visit day, but it's honestly a waste of time and money if there's no chance I'm getting any financial aid. I'm just wondering if they'll send me an email or anything if I'm NOT receiving financial aid. 

4 hours ago, 1PhDplz said:

Yes. I read on their website that they give out 9-10 full tuition scholarships with a stipend for the entering masters class of 30-40 students (I only found that out from looking at the FAQ section on the environmental engineering program page). I guess I'll just be patient. I decided to go to the visit day, but it's honestly a waste of time and money if there's no chance I'm getting any financial aid. I'm just wondering if they'll send me an email or anything if I'm NOT receiving financial aid. 

Interesting, that takes a bit of the sting out of not being considered for financial aid!