University of Kentucky?

Sumner224

Hey, everyone! I'm new to the forum and am interested in PhD programs for Southern history. I already know of several of the best programs in the field, but I'm wondering what kind of reputation the University of Kentucky has? I've heard from a few people that it has one of the strongest programs in Southern history - specifically Upper/Border South - but I haven't found much info on it here and UK never seems to pop up as a recommendation when other people on the forum ask about the top departments for Southern history.

Someone may give you some good info on Kentucky, but I just wanted to make sure you have looked at the University of Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and UT-Austin. Oklahoma is a great place if you want to do something in Native history or American West. Their library on the American West is amazing.

One of my professors earned his MA at Kentucky and his PhD at the University of South Carolina.   His secondary field was Southern history, and he told me USC was stronger than UK in that area.  That's just one assessment, so take it with a grain of salt.