FAFSA Grants??

Diverchica

My masters program is a professional one (Duke MEM) so it costs about $56,000 for tuition for two years. Does anyone know if the government will give graduate students grants through the fafsa? I have an efc of like 2000 ish. Didn't claim much money as I dont get paid much!!

Thanks for your input!

You'll be eligible for subsidized and unsubsidized Federal loans, definitely Stafford and possibly Perkins. FWIW, Perkins loans have more favorable terms (lower interest rate, longer grade period) so take out the max in those. If you're talking about things like Pell Grants, no, you aren't eligible for those at the graduate level.

• 4 weeks later...

do schools give out grants or financial aid that you don't have to pay back at the graduate level (I mean excluding merit-based scholarships)?

I received a large chunk for undergrad (and I believe most if not all were need-based rather than merit-based since they really had no reason to give me merit based with my stats). However for grad, even through my school is working on my financial aid package, I have already received a preliminary estimate which has only loans and work study. I did receive a half off merit-based scholarship but it's from the program, and not the financial aid office.

My EFC is zero. How does the Stafford loans work? I know it caps out at about 20k per year. Do we have the opportunity to accept up to that amount, or are we allocated a certain amount? I read that only after we've exhausted the Stafford then we can apply for Grad PLUS loans. My tuition will cost 9k for the year, but I want to get loans to live off of, which would be around 10-15k. The cost of attendence is 22k. Would it be reasonable to think that I could get a 20k loan each year from Stafford and be set?

I've already applied for a PLUS loan, thinking it was my only option, but now I think I should cancel it, because hopefully I'll be eligible for a Stafford or Perkins loan. Will I still be eligible for Stafford or Perkins loans, even though I've already registered for a PLUS loan? Or do I have to cancel it first?

Also, when do people typically hear about their financial aid package? I filled out my FAFSA in March...

I think a lot of people are hearing about some of their financial aid informally and/or unofficially (i.e. by phone) following their acceptance -- but I haven't heard anything about loans. Just fellowships.

Maybe you just hear how much you have in fellowships, and figure out the rest you need in loans later, after you accept a school?