University of Michigan MSW 2018

atomizer

I could have sworn that there was already a Michigan 2018 thread...but I can't find it. Anyhow, post your Michigan-related thoughts and info here!

I applied before the priority deadline, and I was accepted via email a few weeks ago. I'm still waiting to hear back on my Special Programs scholarship application. Based on what I've read from previous years, it might another month or two before hearing back on that.

Good luck, everyone!

Hi!

I applied December 1st to their MSW program and received my acceptance mid-January. However, their financial aid (I'm out of state) was TERRIBLE! Hopefully the rest of you had better luck!

53 minutes ago, mkern2 said:

Hi!

I applied December 1st to their MSW program and received my acceptance mid-January. However, their financial aid (I'm out of state) was TERRIBLE! Hopefully the rest of you had better luck!

Ditto to every word of this.

Hi All!!

I also applied Dec. 1st for  "Early Application" and received my acceptance via Email Jan. 31st. I'm a Michigan resident so I know my tuition is in-state and when I went in for the tour and met with the academic advisor I was told that need-based financial aid would be based on my own individual salary and not my household/parents like how it was during undergrad; that being said, I'm broke as most all college kids so I'm hoping they see that and are generous. I've read some of the threads from previous years and read that financial aid packages were given out not too long after receiving acceptance letters (couple weeks).

I've also started browsing housing near the SSW building & might take a look at some soon. I plan on living alone but if I find any apt buildings that look promising & are not too costly I can post on them if anyone is interested.

I'm doing the 20 month track and chose Community & Soc Systems as my practice area, Social Policy & Eval as my practice method.

Good luck to you all :)

Just got accepted today!! I'm in the 16 month program and on the Interpersonal Practice/Health track :)  Has anyone done an accepted students tour? I did the prospective students tour but am wondering if a tour for accepted students would be any different. So excited!

41 minutes ago, cookiemonster_ said:

Has anyone heard back on the special programs?

Do they come out after the acceptance to the MSW program, or together?

Thanks guys!

I haven't heard anything, and it's been one month since receiving notification of my acceptance.

I know from past years that the special programs decisions are made after acceptance to the MSW program.  I know someone who was accepted into a SP well over one month after being admitting into the school.  So it's not unusual that we haven't heard anything yet...but that doesn't make the wait any easier!

• 3 weeks later...

Much to my surprise, I was offered a Special Programs scholarship. I am thrilled. The overall cost is still quite expensive, but this makes it hard for me to say no to Michigan.

Did anyone receive any sort of scholarship in addition to the Special Programs scholarship? I did not.

12 minutes ago, atomizer said:

Much to my surprise, I was offered a Special Programs scholarship. I am thrilled. The overall cost is still quite expensive, but this makes it hard for me to say no to Michigan.

Did anyone receive any sort of scholarship in addition to the Special Programs scholarship? I did not.

Congratulations! That's great!  Which program did you get offered and when did you find out?

Edited by pooh828

I just got my acceptance letter today via email! I am doing the Int Prac/Mental Health concentration for the 20 month International Volunteer Program. I was initially really interested in this track but have so many questions. I was worried about losing the opportunity to do international work if I didn't apply right away. Does anybody know if my acceptance is contingent on me doing the international program? I really do want this experience but I have a lot of questions about the kind of work I will be doing.

Is anyone else pursuing the international volunteer program? 

Also, did you hear about scholarships you were awarded at the same time as when you received your acceptance letter? I do not know if I am eligible for any and really need to start looking into my options. I have completed my FAFSA but haven't heard back yet.

Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck if you're still waiting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...