SLP Graduate Assistantship

Hello all,

For those of you who receive graduate assistantships while attending a SLP graduate program, how difficult is it for you to manage time? I know that many programs require 10-20 hours of work per week in exchange of tuition reduction, but considering the challenging level of graduate school, that's a lot of time taken off from study. How do you handle the work and study? I'm considering to apply for assistantship, but I'm more concerned with my academic success and wondering whether I should still apply. I hope to hear from your experience guys! Thanks!

I work for 10 hours per week. It isn't too bad BUT it does take away time that you could be studying. I think the level of stress will really depend on what job you are taking. If you are working at a library or a front desk, you can spend a lot of that time studying. On the other hand, working on research will not allow for any time to study. Also, assistantships are going to vary, even within one program. I have a friend who does research and she has the option to work less during the weeks that are tough (like during midterms or when everything is just piling on), while other research professors may not be as flexible. I would recommend applying, see what you get and then decide. See if you have the option to turn it down. I know people in my program that were involved in research and couldn't handle it and they were able to quit!

• 3 weeks later...

My contract says I work 10 hours a week. I get a partial tuition waiver and a stipend that comes every two weeks. It's completely worth it to me.

I work in a research lab. I'm technically salaried and really only work when I'm needed/have a project going on. Whenever I have downtime in the lab, I do homework or study. My friends who are TA's are probably busier than me at the moment because they have so much grading to do. It can be hard to balance, but it's all about managing your time. It's doable if you are flexible!

Hello!

I am a first year (second semester) graduate student and I'm currently a GIA. Hopefully I can help with this info!

During my first semester, I had four classes (12 hours) and two clients, and I was able to hold a job working 26 hours a week. It wasn't ideal, however, I had to pay rent/bills so it was necessary at the time. It's all about time management and planning! I would make sure all of my work was done ahead of time so I would have time to go to work after.

This semester, I have more obligations on campus, so I had to quit my part time job. I was, however, offered a GIA position to work 10 hours a week. I think it is 100% doable, especially if you worked during undergrad.