Purdue Fall 2018

osteophile

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@AGingeryGinger I'm glad to see other people have the same fellowship.  So far, I've only met people in my department who do.

On that note, I was able to get a summer start with it, so I'm already here and moved in.  If there's anyone else who has to move here, hit me up if you need me to do any investigating for you.  So far, I can say that if you have a hammock, be sure to bring it, because it seems like everyone and their dog has a hammock strung up if the weather is nice.

@E-P YAY communication/ media people! I'll be at Purdue for theatre but usually work film... are they hanging hammocks on trees around campus? One of the campus' I worked on allowed it and the other didn't. Got any new on campus grad advice ? I have to report to campus beginning of August

@SetDec  Nice - I'm guessing you're coming for the set design the MFA program?  What area are you relocating from?  Do you have any specific questions?

Yeah, hammocks seem to be allowed on campus - or, if they're not, they're doing a really bad job at enforcing that rule. :P

In terms of general advice, we're doing a 3 month sublease to get here, and then figuring out a longterm living situation.  That probably won't be as much an option for you, since most leases are August 1 - July 31.  We're in the Launch apartments, which are about a 15 minute walk (or 5 minute bus ride) from campus - super convenient, and reasonably priced.  That said, I think you could find cheaper living across the river in Lafayette, and it's still convenient.  My home needs are probably more picky than most (I have a spouse who works from home, we have pets, etc.), but I've found several reasonable, relatively inexpensive options within my price range.

For grocery stores, you're looking at Meijer, Aldi, Payless, and a couple of fancy food stores.  There doesn't seem to be a "standard" grocery store.  I suspect Meijer is the cheapest....

...but I haven't found any grocery stores walking distance from campus.  So you're looking at Lyfting, or driving.  Most people in my department seem to drive?  Your mileage may vary.  But if you flash your Purdue ID, bus rides are free.

In terms of financial stuff, I'm assuming that you're TAing, and that your tuition is covered?  If so, be sure to be on top of your department about getting that taken care of in the payment system.  Since you're starting at the normal time, you'll probably be okay...but if you start getting emails that you need to pay thousands of dollars or your classes will be dropped, contact your departmental contact.

LMK what specific questions you have!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, E-P said:

@SetDec  Nice - I'm guessing you're coming for the set design the MFA program?  What area are you relocating from?  Do you have any specific questions?

Yeah, hammocks seem to be allowed on campus - or, if they're not, they're doing a really bad job at enforcing that rule. :P

In terms of general advice, we're doing a 3 month sublease to get here, and then figuring out a longterm living situation.  That probably won't be as much an option for you, since most leases are August 1 - July 31.  We're in the Launch apartments, which are about a 15 minute walk (or 5 minute bus ride) from campus - super convenient, and reasonably priced.  That said, I think you could find cheaper living across the river in Lafayette, and it's still convenient.  My home needs are probably more picky than most (I have a spouse who works from home, we have pets, etc.), but I've found several reasonable, relatively inexpensive options within my price range.

For grocery stores, you're looking at Meijer, Aldi, Payless, and a couple of fancy food stores.  There doesn't seem to be a "standard" grocery store.  I suspect Meijer is the cheapest....

...but I haven't found any grocery stores walking distance from campus.  So you're looking at Lyfting, or driving.  Most people in my department seem to drive?  Your mileage may vary.  But if you flash your Purdue ID, bus rides are free.

In terms of financial stuff, I'm assuming that you're TAing, and that your tuition is covered?  If so, be sure to be on top of your department about getting that taken care of in the payment system.  Since you're starting at the normal time, you'll probably be okay...but if you start getting emails that you need to pay thousands of dollars or your classes will be dropped, contact your departmental contact.

LMK what specific questions you have!

? Awesome! Yes, only person entering the set program this year so its a little weird not to be able to contact someone else in my department about how their transition is going. I'm moving out from San Francisco and have never lived in snow ( only visited winter-y places for a few days) so a little anxious about cold weather gear and that whole deal. I did lock down an apartment in March because I heard how competitive housing can be and I am going to be in the building literally across the river from you in River Walk. My department seems to be on top of the system thing, they have an orientation and take care of all my registration and classes when I arrive but I do have to arrive kinda earlier then most because of that. I did have more specific questions but I just got out of rehearsal and a little brain fried, so I will definitely post them when I remember! :D Thank you!

@SetDec I moved to Chicago from Central Texas, so I know that pain.  I'm not sure what gender you are, so your experience may be different from mine.  My spouse, who is male, has far fewer "winter clothes," but rarely complains about being cold.

For me, being content in the winter consists of three items:

1. Shoes.  Depending on how cold it is and how long you're going to be outside, the main goal is to have shoes with good tread on them.  That's so they don't slip on ice/snow.  Some shoes exist that have heat reflective/etc stuff in them too, but I don't really find that necessary unless I'm going to be outside for long periods of time or it's extremely cold (like, 0 degrees F).  I have a couple of pairs of police/combat boots that I generally wear, and a pair of duck boots I reserve for cold+wet days.

2. Coats/jackets/hoodies.  You can often pair these - so, put a hoodie under your coat.  Check out secondhand shops, because good coats tend to be expensive.  North Face and Columbia are good brands.  Look for coats that are rated for skiing.  I also suggest, assuming you'll have a desk, keeping a hoodie at your desk as a matter of course. Don't buy any coat that's white - snow only stays pretty for about a minute, and then cars turn it into sludge.  That sludge will get onto your coat.

3. Layers.  My favorite "Type" of layer is CuddleDuds.  They're soft, effective, cozy, etc.  You can get them on sale at Kohls or Sears for about $10 each.  I tend to cycle through 3 of each.

Really, if you have a good pair of shoes and a solid coat, you'll be fine.  Anything more than that you'll pick up along the way.  Embrace thrift shops - and keep in mind that thrift shops switch out their inventory, so you won't see much winter wear right now. You'll find that you do the same.  I have two tubs that are labeled "seasonal."  Twice a year, I dump out all my upcoming-season stuff, and pack away all my previous-season stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

@E-P Rumor has it the humidity can get bad in the summer in the Midwest, is that true for West Lafayette in what you have heard and your experience so far? I've been in Florida in August but I knew I wasn't going to be staying long in that weather so that helped...

Edited by SetDec

On 6/12/2018 at 2:36 PM, SetDec said:

@E-P Rumor has it the humidity can get bad in the summer in the Midwest, is that true for West Lafayette in what you have heard and your experience so far? I've been in Florida in August but I knew I wasn't going to be staying long in that weather so that helped...

I asked my spouse, who lived in Florida for a while.  He said that the humidity is about the same, but the temperature isn't as hot, so it doesn't feel as bad.  "Here, I can get through the day wearing just one shirt; in Florida, you can't do that."

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 9:56 PM, E-P said:

@AGingeryGinger I'm glad to see other people have the same fellowship.  So far, I've only met people in my department who do.

On that note, I was able to get a summer start with it, so I'm already here and moved in.  If there's anyone else who has to move here, hit me up if you need me to do any investigating for you.  So far, I can say that if you have a hammock, be sure to bring it, because it seems like everyone and their dog has a hammock strung up if the weather is nice.

I looked at the History department’s group from last year, and I think they only give 1-2 Ross fellowships/year. They take roughly 6-10 new phd students and then give 1-2 the fellowship. Or nominate. I think it’s a nominated award.

• 1 month later...

@AGingeryGinger I met someone else doing History the other week; he seemed very nice, although on his way to a faculty job.  So that's good!  That also means that I found the building where your department is.  We're neighbors, so we should, I dunno, meet in the middle sometime. :)