UC Berkeley MSW/MPH/Title IV-E 2018

FutureMSW11

Hi! I applied to UC Berkeley’s 2018 MSW/ Title IV-E program and had my interview on 1/25. I also applied to CSUEB’s program, but I don’t expect to hear back from them until much later.  However, I’m anxiously waiting to hear back from Cal! I’m just reaching out to see who else has applied and wondering If they’ve heard back, how did your interview go? etc.... 

On 4/2/2018 at 5:41 AM, FutureMSW11 said:

Hi! I applied to UC Berkeley’s 2018 MSW/ Title IV-E program and had my interview on 1/25. I also applied to CSUEB’s program, but I don’t expect to hear back from them until much later.  However, I’m anxiously waiting to hear back from Cal! I’m just reaching out to see who else has applied and wondering If they’ve heard back, how did your interview go? etc.... 

I applied to the MSW at UC Berkeley as well, and I hope to know in middle March... I also know it depends on which concentration you chose ! 

On 2/3/2018 at 9:41 PM, FutureMSW11 said:

Hi I am so happy to have found your post!  I also applied for UCB’s MSW Title IV-E program,  my interview was on January 31 at 9:30 AM. I will copy and paste a post from my interview at the end of this. But I wanted to add that from my understanding we should be finding out this week if not next week! Last year they did their last interviews on March 1 and people found out by March 15 so a total of 14 day waiting. This year they did the interviews earlier and are expecting to let us know sooner from what Catherine Ralph told me. That being said final interviews were completed on February 1st so I am hoping that following the trend we should be finding out by the 15th.  I also applied for CSUEB and SJSU. :)

I hope we both get in, best of luck! 

I applied for the 2018 UCB MSW Title IV-E program and I interviewed on January 31, 2018. The interview itself was pretty straightforward as others have mentioned, it is a panel interview from 2 to 3 people, mine consisted of three people, two previous students and one current administrator I believe.

They were all really friendly and that put me at ease, it was six questions in total I was in there for about a half hour. Below is a list of the six questions I was asked for the 2018 interview. There was a total of 50 interviewed for the IV-E program and they will accept only 16.

1.  Why do you want to work in child welfare? 

2.  How do you communicate or connect with other people from various backgrounds and cultures?(cultural competency)

3.  How do you get people to open up to you or communicate with you when they’re going through difficult situations?

4.  You are given a paper with a list of tasks  A child welfare worker would encounter and you are to rank them from what is the most important and explain your answers. 

5.  What do you know about child welfare? 

6. What are some of the challenges that you have faced at work ?

On 2/3/2018 at 9:41 PM, FutureMSW11 said:

Hi just an update, I received my letter of admission to CSUEB today February 20 the notice was marked February 13 and arrive through the mail. I also reached out to UCB and this is the response they’ve given me so far as a status update:

“Thanks for reaching out.

I've copied a message below from Catharine Ralph, our Title IV-E Project Coordinator, regarding the review process and timeline. I've cc'd her as well, so she can answer follow-up questions if you have any.

Best,
Emiko

--

I've read all the IV-E files, & each one is also being read at least one other faculty member. After we're all done, we combine our IV-E applicants' paper-work scores with those of your interviewers. It's time-intensive for us, & for you, the timeline must be difficult. In a nutshell I expect we'll notify applicants in early March thru early May, if not before. This gives enough time for faculty to complete their reading tasks and deliberative meetings, and allows us to uphold the national grad-school agreements around people accepting university offers by 15 April. That date causes some wait-listed people to wait extra-long, until after some original offers are declined or their time expires, allowing us to back-fill those new openings with offers to those next on our wait list. We hope you'll be as patient as all that. 

Best wishes,
-- Catharine R.”
Edited by ChicanaMSW2018

• 2 weeks later...

On a MSW UC/CSU FB page 2 people recieved notices of being waitlisted for UCB’s MSW program, (1 was title IV-e the other was not) today 3/6/2018 it appeared around 11:20am.  

Please post if you hear anything. 

Edited by ChicanaMSW2018

Hi everyone I  was accepted into UCB  strengthening children and family services as well as title IV-E!! 

For the sake of adding more information as it can always be helpful, I received an email to my personal email at 1:26 PM which stated there was an update in my graduate application and to log in to find out when I opened it and email along With confetti congratulated me. And hour later I received a letter with funding explaining my acceptance into the title I VE program.

Edited by ChicanaMSW2018