Dual Degrees with the M.DIV/MTS?

ChristoWitch87

I've noticed that there seems to be a trend among M.Div programs towards joint degree programs like those that can be found at most business and law schools. This seems especially pronounced with programs offered at universities where options are readily available. Are any masters applicants this year applying for a joint degree? If so, what made you decide on the additional time (and possibly tuition) investment?

Common dual degrees I've seen:

M.Div/JD: When you defy all conversational convention and dedicate yourself solely to the two topics that are taboo to talk about (religion and politics).

M.Div/MSW: I don't know much about MSW programs but this intuitively makes the most sense to me. Given that my own future occupation (Chaplaincy) is so counseling-intensive is this advisable?

M.Div/MPP: Least practical (on the surface) one I've seen but also the most interesting. Probably similar skill and problem sets that an M.Div/JD would be interested in.

M.Div/MBA: I like the idea, but it seems like overkill. I do think seminaries/divinity schools would benefit from additional non-profit management and/or church administration courses.

Any interesting ones I've left out? I met a YDS MAR Alum who did an MD after graduation but it was not a hybrid program. I would also fathom a guess that someone out there has attempted a M.Div/Psy.D combination. 

We had a guy at Vandy that did a quasi-joint MDiv:MD and while doing his general surgery residency was doing a PhD in Religion, both still at Vandy. That said, he’s the kind of guy you see one of in your life.

Edit: Yale has/did a joint program with forestry that always looked really cool.

Edited by xypathos

• 6 months later...

I began at a local ATS-accredited seminary that offered a MA/MA in Counseling dual degree. It helped skim some credits off compared to pursuing both degrees separately, as the seminary required biblical studies and theological studies classes for their MA in Counseling degree as well. Taking them dual-degree helped save some credits.

I've continued to hear from experienced pastors how woefully under-prepared they were for the amount of counseling they do in their positions. The dual degree option seems invaluable in that light.