Boston University

kobe36

Hi: I am wondering if anyone applied to BUSSW. I got an email today that says their deadline was extended from March 1st to April 2nd. I initially wanted to applied but decided against it after I took the MAT and got only a very average score and also with applying to 7 schools already, I didnt have enough time to complete the application. But now that the deadline has been extended, and already with one rejection on my plate, I am thinking if I should give BU a try and turn in my apps. So my question is this: has anyone applied to BU? Should i applied ? or save my money for next year? is their program highly competiitive? and does anyone know why their deadline was extended? could it be because they didnt get enough applicants??

I just completed my application this week. I was confused about why they extended the deadline because a couple of weeks earlier they sent me an email saying that due to increased applications they would guarantee that anyone who submitted their application by the March 1st deadline would receive an admissions decision by March 31st. Seems odd to me that they would extend the deadline when they had increased applicants.

I just completed my application this week. I was confused about why they extended the deadline because a couple of weeks earlier they sent me an email saying that due to increased applications they would guarantee that anyone who submitted their application by the March 1st deadline would receive an admissions decision by March 31st. Seems odd to me that they would extend the deadline when they had increased applicants.

I was extremely disappointed in the BU MSW admissions process. I applied early (in November), and I got an e-mail in December saying that two of recommendations didn't come through. We sent them again. When I called to check on my application in January, they said they still hadn't received them. I contacted my referees and they both sent me confirmation e-mails that the recs had in fact been received. I just withdrew my application because I had acceptances and hefty aid packages at two other schools. They told me they started using a new online app system this year so there were lots of problems with it, which is probably why they extended the deadline so the online app could be worked out. The other thing to note in the BU process is this: when I called to ask about my admissions and explained my situation with UChicago, the lady on the phone told me to go to UChicago and that she wished she had. Doesn't seem like the staff at BU even thinks their program compares...

Edited by zachidacki

I was extremely disappointed in the BU MSW admissions process. I applied early (in November), and I got an e-mail in December saying that two of recommendations didn't come through. We sent them again. When I called to check on my application in January, they said they still hadn't received them. I contacted my referees and they both sent me confirmation e-mails that the recs had in fact been received. I just withdrew my application because I had acceptances and hefty aid packages at two other schools. They told me they started using a new online app system this year so there were lots of problems with it, which is probably why they extended the deadline so the online app could be worked out. The other thing to note in the BU process is this: when I called to ask about my admissions and explained my situation with UChicago, the lady on the phone told me to go to UChicago and that she wished she had. Doesn't seem like the staff at BU even thinks their program compares...

Yea it seems like they have been having some issues, but I am still hoping to get in and looking forward to hearing. I was also confused with all the dates changing, does anyone know when they will now be letting people know decisions?

I received an email from BU in early Feb. saying that I would know of a decision in 4-6 weeks, so I'm hoping to hear something by next week *crosses fingers*. The date changing situation is definitely a bit weird, and its really unfortunate that your application was affected by system glitches so early on in the application season, zachidacki :(.

Yes, I would agree that the BU application process was quite frustrating. I really wish that the online recommendation emails were sent out when the reference info was entered rather than when the application was submitted. I completed my application in early February, but one of my referrers did not submit their recommendation until March 2nd (thank goodness the deadline was extended!). I received an email on March 4th that my application was complete and I should hear from them before April 30th.

I heard that decisions will be out by April 30th... anyone else hear this? That is so late! A lot of my summer programs for advanced standing start in may or june, and I graduate May 8th... I thought I would be able to plan my future a little more before I heard back because Boston was my first choice.

wow sounds like their application process is confusing. I am wondering why they changed their application deadline if they got more than enough applicants.

Good luck to everyone who applied !! although i must admit that April 30th seems a bit late for notification :P

Has anyone heard anything about BU's method of notifying applicants of a decision?

I have not heard anything...

But on an unrealted note I noticed you were accepted to UNC at Chapel Hill... was that for the Advanced standing?

It would be great to hear something by the end of the month :) I called yesterday and was told that a decision had been made, but the woman I spoke with couldn't tell me what the decision was. Today I emailed the person who could tell me the decision, and he said that my app is still being reviewed and that I would know a decision on/around April 30th. Not liking the runaround situation...

By the way, Agape, I applied for Regular Standing at UNC ^_^

It would be great to hear something by the end of the month :) I called yesterday and was told that a decision had been made, but the woman I spoke with couldn't tell me what the decision was. Today I emailed the person who could tell me the decision, and he said that my app is still being reviewed and that I would know a decision on/around April 30th. Not liking the runaround situation...

By the way, Agape, I applied for Regular Standing at UNC ^_^

Yea Boston is my first choice because of location and some other outside life things, so I want to get in VERY badly. But it is disappointing that they are so disorganized it seems... also I am worried about the large number of applicants meaning more competition. :unsure:

I applied for Advanced Standing at UNC and did not get accepted. But that wasn't unexpected really... I did not do as well in the application process/spend enough time on it because it was the earliest one due and I was swamped with classes at the beginning of the semester. Congrats on getting in though Jade :) where is your first choice?

Edited by Agape

Yay!!! I was just accepted via email and they offered me a 1/3 tuition scholarship! Very excited about that... I was starting to stress over tuition!!

Congrats! Advanced Standing? or 2 year?

Same here! It was a pleasant surprise :)

Congrats! Have you made a decision yet? I plan to travel to Boston next week to check it out since it will be a big move for me coming from Alaska. I'm hoping to hear back from NYU soon.... I'm thinking that will be the deciding factor for me.

Agape - I was accepted to the two year program.

Congrats! Have you made a decision yet? I plan to travel to Boston next week to check it out since it will be a big move for me coming from Alaska. I'm hoping to hear back from NYU soon.... I'm thinking that will be the deciding factor for me.

Agape - I was accepted to the two year program.

Haven't made a decision yet, but I'm definitely feeling the pressure as the deadlines for NYU and BU are coming up soon. I'll be visiting UNC this weekend and I'm hoping the trip will make the process of deciding a little easier....or maybe it'll be worse, lol.

Are you interested in the clinical track at BU?

Haven't made a decision yet, but I'm definitely feeling the pressure as the deadlines for NYU and BU are coming up soon. I'll be visiting UNC this weekend and I'm hoping the trip will make the process of deciding a little easier....or maybe it'll be worse, lol.

Are you interested in the clinical track at BU?

Yes, I am interested in the clinical track at BU. I just got my acceptance yesterday from NYU so I will be visiting both next week. NYU offered me a larger scholarship than BU, but since the tuition is more it ends up being about equal. I'm excited to visit both campuses... I think it will make my decision easier as well! I hope so at least :)

I applied for the Advanced Standing at Boston and I have still not heard anything! I am going crazy!!!:blink: I have not received anything via email or mail. I am hoping this is not a bad sign and rather a lack or organization on their end (which they have shown to be true). Cross your fingers for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am interested in the clinical track at BU. I just got my acceptance yesterday from NYU so I will be visiting both next week. NYU offered me a larger scholarship than BU, but since the tuition is more it ends up being about equal. I'm excited to visit both campuses... I think it will make my decision easier as well! I hope so at least :)

How did your NYU and BU visits go? :)

Does anyone know if BU wait lists applicants? If so, do they notify the individual of this status? I am beginning to wonder if this has anything to do with the dates continuously changing?

Does anyone know if BU wait lists applicants? If so, do they notify the individual of this status? I am beginning to wonder if this has anything to do with the dates continuously changing?

I am not sure but that would probably make sense! I know the dates are changing because they are overwhelmed with the amount of applicants and on top of that their new computer system had issues... I applied for Advanced Standing which I think takes even long to hear back from... and last week they asked for an evaluation from my internship... so at least they have not thrown my application out the door... I think they are just really behind... I was told I would most likely know by April 30th.

But maybe I am actually on some type of unofficial wait list.... not sure.

On Tuesday, I received an email from the Dean of Admissions stating that I would receive a response in two weeks, or by 4/30 at the latest. The next day I received an acceptance email. Hope that you hear soon. Good luck!!

My trip went well and I've decided to attend BU. I was impressed with their program and really like the campus. My decision was based more on which city I felt I could see myself staying in after grad school. NYC was a bit much for me... great city and great school, but I just couldn't see myself living there. Although the BU campus is considered a city campus, it really feels open. I felt really trapped and closed in at the NYU campus with the tall building... I guess I should have figured being that I grew up in wide open Alaska. I had to travel there first to know for sure though!

How did your NYU and BU visits go? :)