Yoo-hoo! Schools to which I applied? Could one of you PLEASE just admit or reject me now ? Love, the Invisible Applicant

I applied to six schools.  My applications are all complete.  The portals all state that my applications are "pending" or "in review." 

I would gladly go to Waitlist Purgatory at this point just to make sure I am not imagining that I applied anywhere!!!

Uggggggggh.  

Vent over.  Thank you for your consideration.  ;-) 

Edited by Daenerys

• Daenerys changed the title to Yoo-hoo! Schools to which I applied? Could one of you PLEASE just admit or reject me now ? Love, the Invisible Applicant
16 minutes ago, glg96 said:

I feel you. Earlier today, I ended up just biting the bullet and emailing them for updates. 

I am dying to do that but so far have not given in to temptation.

Did you hear back??  

There are a couple of acceptances and rejections posted in results for the schools to which I applied, but not enough of them that I am certain of an implied rejection.

Sigh.  The anxiety is killing me.

@Daenerys So far only heard back from NYU that said that nothing was finalized and that official letter will be out mid march. Kind of disappointing especially since people applying to that program got interviews last week /: 

I think these next two weeks are going to bring the remaining notifications for a lot of (so far) silent schools. I applied to 6 schools and Ive heard from 3 now, but 2 of those were in the past 2 days. Most othe programs I expect to be in the next two weeks. My husband on the other hand applied to 7 and has only heard from 1 with no acceptances or rejections posted on the forums for those programs. Idk, we'll see, but I hope you hear back soon!

1 hour ago, glg96 said:

I hope you hear back soon. I think Thursday and Friday will be a big day for notifications. 

I so hope you are right.  I am wasting SO much time panicking about not getting in!  Only a couple of us in my MA program are planning to get PhD's.  A shut out would be soooooo embarrassing, not to mention the necessity of starting this whole process over again. 

14 minutes ago, Daenerys said:

I so hope you are right.  I am wasting SO much time panicking about not getting in!  Only a couple of us in my MA program are planning to get PhD's.  A shut out would be soooooo embarrassing, not to mention the necessity of starting this whole process over again. 

It's not embarrassing. Hopefully once you get over the shock, you will realize that you have nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to applying to hella selective programs. I was saying this in another post: people (including us) don't realize how hard it is to get into these Ph.D's, even if they're in "universities," which makes them sound open and routine. You're in a competition with not only your capacities on trial, but also your compatibility with weird, diverse, secret circumstances that don't depend on your profile, but on the programs. --All this to say that you can't feel shame for not getting into something that's so hard to acquire in the first place.

Edit: I was going to use this image but wasn't quite sure of its relevance. Let's try.

So imagine you train for an ultramarathon, but you've never done one before and you've accumulated a few 10k and maybe a couple of marathons here and there. You're just a normal runner with good, solid experience, and you're throwing yourself into the ultramarathon across the Gobi desert. Well you think you can make it physically, and on the paper you're good. You even love the landscape and would be running with a few partners, some of whom you've met and others you haven't, but you know you'll get along well and will be amazing pieces in this horrible puzzle that is the race.

Well unfortunately, during the race, they didn't tell you that they were expecting a horde of hungry coyotes with rabies; there is storm and tents are ripped off and your helicopter can't make it anymore for your supplies at the next expected meeting point; suddenly the sand sinks into holes that try to suck you up; and your partners decide that they had a better opportunity somewhere else with a better scenery and more organized race, so they leave you without a warning although they knew while you were training that they won't be there.

Would you be ashamed of yourself as a runner for not making it to the end with such unexpected circumstances? I think not! That's how applications are. A sh* storm of surprises, and then you pick yourself up and plan your next races because you're awesome.

Edited by Yanaka

hahahaha I feel you. 

I have applied four and none of them have replied me. I mean if you are gonna reject me reject me soon so that at least I could stop worrying about checking emails or so.

TBH pessimistically speaking I am starting to think the whole idea of doing my MA study is wrong. Probably I should go straight to work after BA. Can't find a job suitable for my major now. 

Edited by tsuyuri

I'm in the applied to six but haven't heard from any boat, outside one interview a few weeks ago. Still trying to stay optimistic, bracing for the worse, and trying to keep from playing what if and keep busy. 

@Yanaka Thank you so much for your lovely metaphor :D It's a great way to look at it! 

'

Edited by senorbrightside

Heard back from the other 2 schools I emailed. UPenn is a rejection, unfortunately. That one really stings. Brown gave me a strange response. First someone told me that all decisions had been given out on Friday and that it was strange I hadn't been notified. The email was then forwarded to someone else in the department who told me that my application was still under review. Some weird waitlist situation? Not sure how to read into that one. 

It's honestly been very helpful to just straight out ask schools what's up, especially if there's been a lot of activity pertaining their program on the results page. I hope everyone hears soon (with good news!). 

31 minutes ago, glg96 said:

It's honestly been very helpful to just straight out ask schools what's up, especially if there's been a lot of activity pertaining their program on the results page. I hope everyone hears soon (with good news!). 

Thanks for reporting back @glg96, I might take your advice on this one. Still only one decision (rejection) out of six and I could use some closure. Sorry to hear about Penn, but at least you have one acceptance, right? Is it to one of your preferred schools?

1 hour ago, Jožin z bažin said:

Thanks for reporting back @glg96, I might take your advice on this one. Still only one decision (rejection) out of six and I could use some closure. Sorry to hear about Penn, but at least you have one acceptance, right? Is it to one of your preferred schools?

Yeah, I honestly think it's fine as long as you've seen other people getting notified. I hope your other five schools give you good news! It's always rough when the first one is a rejection. 
Yes, one acceptance from UChicago, which was in my top. Definitely really grateful for that. 

Edited by glg96

Same boat here; I am truly going crazy. On the one hand it's a small stroke of luck none of the schools (except Chicago) I applied to have notified yet because I can still be hopeful...but I am afraid that this week will pass and I still won't have heard anything either way and that will just drive me insane. I'm thinking about emailing Yale and inquiring about my status because it seems people have heard back, but perhaps it's worth giving it another few days?