Waiting Lists

menalta17

Anyone else riding the wave of mediocracy with me here? I've been officially waitlisted by 3 of the 6 schools I'm waiting to hear back from (the others have yet to send an update) and it's starting to occur to me that I'm not the best applicant but I'm juuuuuuust good enough to be a second thought and it sucks. I just want to be someone's first choice and not have to cry & beg via email to be reconsidered. BUT although it sucks, its better then the shut out I received last year.

Anyway, is anyone else on a million waiting lists? How are y'all holding up and how often do you contact the program or POI? 

I've been lurking a few weeks on GradCafe. Finally posting because I got the first word back this morning that I got waitlisted to my top-choice (and only choice!) school. I'm disappointed to say the least. The message stated that there is still a realistic chance of being admitted, but the uncertainty is uncomfortable and I'm trying to figure out what to do next. 

I think being waitlisted is an accomplishment in and of itself. Some of the spots are SO limited at programs. It can often means you are in the top five, ten, twenty, etc. of hundreds. It is a great accomplishment. I understand your disappointment, but try to keep that positive note in perspective.

45 minutes ago, Tyedyedturtle91 said:

I think being waitlisted is an accomplishment in and of itself. Some of the spots are SO limited at programs. It can often means you are in the top five, ten, twenty, etc. of hundreds. It is a great accomplishment. I understand your disappointment, but try to keep that positive note in perspective.

I completely agree! I am trying to stay positive but as the days pass I'm becoming more and more skeptical.

Thank you for this post.

I am over 2 weeks on a waitlist (the closest I've ever been to getting accepted anywhere) and I am just counting seconds in the day while I'm at work. This is my second time applying to PhD programs in the last 3 years and they said it could be until the middle of March before they send out an update.

The waitlist is a killer for me because it is limbo- is it a yes or no? Where I am on the list? Who is better than me and what am I really up against? How many spots are there?

On 2/16/2018 at 11:14 AM, Clongoria90 said:

Thank you for this post.

I am over 2 weeks on a waitlist (the closest I've ever been to getting accepted anywhere) and I am just counting seconds in the day while I'm at work. This is my second time applying to PhD programs in the last 3 years and they said it could be until the middle of March before they send out an update.

The waitlist is a killer for me because it is limbo- is it a yes or no? Where I am on the list? Who is better than me and what am I really up against? How many spots are there?

We are in the same position rn and it sucks so bad. I've mentally did the math and the statistics on it all. I've resorted to asking schools for updates (bc it's been a month since interviews) and both aren't giving me a 'yes' or a 'no'. It's crazy. I just want closure or an acceptance. Not time to pick my chances and application apart lol

On 2/16/2018 at 4:59 PM, 35mm_ said:

This hits so close. I have been told by three out of five schools I applied to that I was on their "shortlist". Waitlisted for my top choice. No clue about how long the list is, where I stand, how many people they accepted etc etc. 

It really sucks! I hope we all hear good results sooner than later :/