University of Michigan 2018

synapticcat

Hi everyone!

Wondering if anyone else is attending the University of Michigan in the fall. I'll be starting a PhD in Neuroscience through the Program in Biomedical Sciences (PIBS). Would love to hear from anyone else who will be moving to Ann Arbor! :D

Edited by synapticcat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I will be attending the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor campus this fall to complete my Masters in social work (MSW)! Super excited! :) 

If anyone else is going for social work let me know, I would love to connect. I'm thinking of moving in the Munger residences (only for graduate students) for my first year of masters since I know no one in Michigan (I'm Canadian) and that I'll be spending my summer in Japan. Thoughts? Is anyone also considering Munger? 

Edited by Tess94

*waves* Soon-to-be Japanese MA student, here! (Curious where you'll be going this summer @Tess94?!)

How is everyone coming with housing? I'm about to email a bunch of places but it's looking like rather slim pickings at this point...I was hoping for a Northwood single but I (foolishly) didn't realize how competitive the process is?

@kotatsumuriI was told by the other graduate students during my visit to avoid Northwood as it was very run down, but it depends on what you're willing to deal with since it's reasonably priced for Ann Arbor. So far I've applied for a nice apt in Ypsi near Depot Town, but I'm waiting to hear if they can get me moved in early August since I have to be on campus starting the 13th for RMF connection. In the meantime I've been looking at other apts but like you said it's very slim pickings and a lot are out of my price range. 

Edited by kaseyr10

• 2 weeks later...

@kaseyr10 I was able to visit a couple of Northwood apartments and they were just fine. As good as (and better than some) of the properties available online right now. Despite the prices, Ypsi is just too far away for me (I don't have a car, and current students warned us against driving from Ypsi given the roads/weather in the winter; the buses from Yspi can get delayed, too. Plus parking issues year round).

Did you have any luck securing a place? *sigh* I still haven't found anything. Several apartment places have written back that they don't have availability, and others just plain haven't replied to me. Ugh! Hopefully we'll have a much easier time next year, but I'm getting quite ahead of myself...

@kotatsumuri yeah I would've been fine in Ypsi since I'm used to driving in midwest weather and I would barely be on campus since most of my work would be done at Domino Farms MedSport, but they just got back to me today that they couldn't move me in til the 21st and that the apartment would need renovations during september and october so I'm back to the drawing board which sucks. 

Honestly, basically everything that is left is awful especially given the high prices. Are you looking for a 1B or a 2B with a roommate? That might make your situation easier, but I definitely want a 1B for at least my first year. 

@kaseyr10 Ugh, that's too bad. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. It's such a time consuming process!!

I'm also looking for a 1BR (or studio, but 1BR is preferable) for this year. I'm going to tour some places next week and I hope that will bring me much closer to having somewhere locked down. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too. I haven't seen many new listings come up, but once in a while they do so we'll just have to keep at it for now. Good luck!?