Who are YOU rejecting?

eurocentric

Well, now that we can do some turning down, who are you giving the axe to? And more importantly, who are you accepting???

I, after a good deal of solid notifications and offers, (a mixed bag really) am unsure of where to go, and who to turn down. Honestly, UNC has offered their accepted students a garbage package and after speaking to the DGS on Friday, apparently North Carolina has had one of the worst economic issues in the US, well, next to CA. Also, a close friend of mine is currently doing her PhD at UNC, and she told me some things about the the history department, and especially some new changes there, and ones rumored to come that honestly make me question the reputation that having a PhD from there in 6 years will be.

Anyways, just trying to get some insight on where other accepted applicants are going, and who they're turning down....

eurocentric, what period do you study? I'm Modern European History too - France and Germany during WWII. What you say about UNC is very interesting. It's one of my top choices, but the fact that I haven't heard anything from them yet makes me pretty certain I'll be getting bad news in the mail here pretty soon...that's too bad they're not offering good packages this year. I hadn't realized they'd been so badly hit by the recession. The profs I spoke with there back in the fall still seemed pretty positive about their financial packages, but things may have changed a lot since then.

eurocentric, what period do you study? I'm Modern European History too - France and Germany during WWII. What you say about UNC is very interesting. It's one of my top choices, but the fact that I haven't heard anything from them yet makes me pretty certain I'll be getting bad news in the mail here pretty soon...that's too bad they're not offering good packages this year. I hadn't realized they'd been so badly hit by the recession. The profs I spoke with there back in the fall still seemed pretty positive about their financial packages, but things may have changed a lot since then.

I hate to be bearer of potentially bad news, but UNC notified their accepted students about two weeks ago, and then last week their waitlisted applicants. If I had to guess, and for your sake I hope I'm wrong, but if you haven't heard yet it doesn't seem that good.

But, UVA is a great school, and as I was saying, things in Chapel Hill are bad... real bad. I'm sure that most that are accepted there and have other options will turn it down. NC is not a great place to be right now, and I'm a little worried about what "would be" the funding from Duke if I get chosen from their waitlist.

My area of focus is German history during the Third Reich.

what qualifies as a "bad" package? less than five years of guaranteed funding? TAing in all five years?

while some places offer less than 20K a year to grad students, cost of living in some places (NC?) are also a lot less, meaning you can get by well (sometimes better) there on a smaller stipend than you could in other places. i've heard rumours for years that the students at columbia, for example, are incredibly cutthroat about funding because they get 22K/year, not enough to survive in and around manhattan, so they fight for what few extra fellowships are available.

The Chapel Hill area is very, very pricey. Unless you live a good distance out of the area and commute daily the funding offered from UNC (Well below the 20k mark!!) will not be sufficient. That whole area is over-priced and inflated. Maybe not as bad as say Manhattan is for Columbia grads, or Palo Alto is for Stanford Grads, but it is bad.

One big misconception going around in the forums, is that, "well I should be happy with whatever I can get." Well, yeah, it is great to get accepted and offered funding, but it's almost worse when you're offered a sub-standard package and after taking a realistic view of it all, you realize that it is undo-able.

Now, obviously funding is expected to be a little lower at schools than it has been in years prior, and funding is never supposed to give you even a "normal" standard of living, but UNC has made massive cuts in the funding that they're offering. My friend that is there now, and has a much better funding package, is by no means high maintenance, and even she, working part time as well, has a hard time getting by.

I hate to be bearer of potentially bad news, but UNC notified their accepted students about two weeks ago, and then last week their waitlisted applicants. If I had to guess, and for your sake I hope I'm wrong, but if you haven't heard yet it doesn't seem that good.

But, UVA is a great school, and as I was saying, things in Chapel Hill are bad... real bad. I'm sure that most that are accepted there and have other options will turn it down. NC is not a great place to be right now, and I'm a little worried about what "would be" the funding from Duke if I get chosen from their waitlist.

I could be totally wrong about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Duke's funding situation differs a bit from UNC's. It's a private institution with some pretty serious endowments and very loyal alums.

I could be totally wrong about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if Duke's funding situation differs a bit from UNC's. It's a private institution with some pretty serious endowments and very loyal alums.

That's what they said about Harvard. Everyone's hurting. It really sucks.

That's what they said about Harvard. Everyone's hurting. It really sucks.

Harvard apparently invested most of its endowment in a Ponzi scheme. Lolzers. Yes, everyone is hurting, but I think on the whole state institutions took a harder hit because of state budget cuts. Again, I could be totally wrong here.

Someone posted something like this last year:

Dear Professor X,

Thank for your letter of April 16. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me admission to your department.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied, promising and qualified field of candidates it is impossible for me to accept all refusals, particularly in this difficult economic climate and given as I have already served notice at my current job.

Despite the University's outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my needs at this time. Therefore, I will join the ranks of graduate students in your department this September. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely,

Dudes, I hope some of you are rejecting Indiana and Chicago, because I'm wait-listed there and rejected everywhere else (except Wisconsin, which hardly counts without funding).

And I really don't want to go through this process again next year!

P.S. Hi everyone, I've been lurking for like a week here.

Dudes, I hope some of you are rejecting Indiana and Chicago, because I'm wait-listed there and rejected everywhere else (except Wisconsin, which hardly counts without funding).

And I really don't want to go through this process again next year!

P.S. Hi everyone, I've been lurking for like a week here.

Good luck with your waitlists! also, I just watched your movie, The Transient. That shit was awesome. "A torso divided cannot stand, Mr. President." Everyone should go to this guy's website and watch his movie. That is all.

Good luck with your waitlists! also, I just watched your movie, The Transient. That shit was awesome. "A torso divided cannot stand, Mr. President." Everyone should go to this guy's website and watch his movie. That is all.

Hey, thanks! I'm actually a producer/etc. of the film (my husband directed it). You can watch it on YouTube at

Perhaps I should have sent copies of The Transient to the admissions committees. It might have have helped my cause...

Harvard apparently invested most of its endowment in a Ponzi scheme. Lolzers. Yes, everyone is hurting, but I think on the whole state institutions took a harder hit because of state budget cuts. Again, I could be totally wrong here.

Harvard's endowment is still over $26 billion dollars - higher than #2 Yale was at its peak, but I suspect the humanities are near the front of the line for any cutbacks in funding.

Hey, thanks! I'm actually a producer/etc. of the film (my husband directed it). You can watch it on YouTube at

Perhaps I should have sent copies of The Transient to the admissions committees. It might have have helped my cause...

sorry for assuming you were a guy! that said, the history geekiness of that video was just too much for me. perfect.

VampireLincoln, what did Indiana say? I've only see "waitlist" in the results page but not rejections or acceptances. Have they notified yet?

VampireLincoln, what did Indiana say? I've only see "waitlist" in the results page but not rejections or acceptances. Have they notified yet?

They just sent me the same email as the other wait lists. Only offer admission with full funding, may have a spot for me if funding becomes available, won't know for a while, etc. etc.

Just an FYI, the funding offer I've gotten from Duke is quite generous, far more than what Chapel Hill offers, and there's no teaching necessary (at least for Latin Americans). Since it's not dependent on state funds, Duke is in a far better place financially than the other schools in the Research Triangle area.

Just an FYI, the funding offer I've gotten from Duke is quite generous, far more than what Chapel Hill offers, and there's no teaching necessary (at least for Latin Americans). Since it's not dependent on state funds, Duke is in a far better place financially than the other schools in the Research Triangle area.

Thanks! yeah, I think that unfortunately UNC will loose a great deal of their top applicants due to their awful packages... This could also have long-term effects on the prestige of a UNC PhD if the quality of their graduates begin to slip.... Although, for that to happen the current economic situation would have to remain as is for quite a while.

Hopefully for everyone's sake it ends soon.

I believe I am rejecting Michigan's PhD program in American Culture, and accepting the offer I have received from Ohio State in History. Both were fully funded with excellent packages. However, I think the fit is better at Ohio State and I would like to remain in history; besides, it does not seem as though the studies get as much deference in the academy, particularly when it comes to ascertaining a tenure-track position.

I had held out hope for Yale (African-American Studies/History) but was notified of my rejection by the DGS. She informed me that my application was strong, and she really wanted me in the program. However, they only accepted 4 students (out of 116 applicants) across 13 disciplines. Yikes! I am thrilled with my acceptance at tOSU, and look forward to meeting with the rest of you who'll be attending there in the Fall.

I believe I am rejecting Michigan's PhD program in American Culture, and accepting the offer I have received from Ohio State in History. Both were fully funded with excellent packages. However, I think the fit is better at Ohio State and I would like to remain in history; besides, it does not seem as though the studies get as much deference in the academy, particularly when it comes to ascertaining a tenure-track position.

I had held out hope for Yale (African-American Studies/History) but was notified of my rejection by the DGS. She informed me that my application was strong, and she really wanted me in the program. However, they only accepted 4 students (out of 116 applicants) across 13 disciplines. Yikes! I am thrilled with my acceptance at tOSU, and look forward to meeting with the rest of you who'll be attending there in the Fall.

Kai210, i just felt the sweet, sweet pangs of false hope flitter in my heart.