Preferred Bible Software? Accordace or Logos or Bible Works?

KA.DINGER.RA

Hello to my fellow biblicists out there.

I am looking to reward myself for entering PhD studies this upcoming fall by purchasing some bible software for myself over the summer. I was curious what your thoughts are on the big three programs out there and, if you've used two or all three of them, what you would recommend. 

I'll gladly speak on the topic. I have tried all three. I have spent relatively little time with Logos, quite a bit with Bible Works, and the most with Accordance. I prefer and have owned Accordance for about five years now (I use it on my PC mostly). The biggest advantage of Accordance is the number of modules they offer. It's true that some of the modules are quite expensive. But for a 'basic' biblical package it's reasonable, I think (e.g. BHS, NA28). On the other hand, if all you ever hope to use is a basic package then the others are certainly (almost as) good (e.g. Accordance's search features with the others!). I have quite a few of the more 'exotic' modules (e.g. Peshitta, Coptic, Targums, Mishnah, Talmuds, etc.), which to my knowledge are either not available on the others or their versions are garbage. For example, I have used Bible Works for some of the ancient Aramaic translations and I was pulling my hair out (e.g. their morphological tagging is often wrong, they don't specify what manuscript/s are used as the base, the apparatus are useless if available at all). If you plan to use the software for years to come (I'm sure you are given you signature) then I couldn't recommend Accordance more. 

I knew a student who once purchased Logos. He said: "Logos is the best advertisement for Accordance that I have ever seen." 

Seriously though, Accordance is amazing. It'll have its quirk or two on the PC and its a bit expensive, but I literally use it every day and it is fast and effective. Logos is good for secondary literature I've heard, but I'm honestly not too sure how much of it is shovelware. 

I also have Accordance and love it. The wealth of primary sources you can get is amazing. And the language tools and searches are vast. I haven't used Logos or Bible Works, but I love Accordance and it does everything I need and more. I've never regretted having it.

I've seen some of the secondary literature on Logos and it looks about as user friendly as their biblical tools. 

Regarding Accordance's search features, I just want to emphasize how useful this software can be for finding obscure data. For example, I have the Gesenius' Hebrew Syntax module, which I have searched for specific Hebrew letter/word combos. Finding some of these references would have taken me hours (perhaps then I would learn the grammar...!?). Because my research is primarily in the ancient translations of the HB/OT, I also own all the available Göttingen Septuagint modules (see below!). Each module comes with the apparatus from Göttingen and can also be searched! You can do similar searches with any apparatus (e.g. BHS). Admittedly, this feature is not useful for many users; but, again, if you work in philology, papyrology, textual-criticism, etc., these features are priceless. They change how you do research, for the better I think (hope...!).  

Edited by sacklunch

I am an avid Logos user, and I'll stick up for it. The search features are not intuitive and have a steep learning cure. (It feels more like writing code at times than simply typing what you want searched.) Once you master them, I would assume they are on par with Accordance.

The Logos App for both Android and IOS got a major, and much needed update recently, and is now quite user friendly. 

At my seminary, most HB professors used Accordance (one was responsible for much of the tagging of the HB, so he was a little biased) and the NT faculty were Logos fans. 

@sacklunch, Logos does have the Göttingen Septuagint with apparatus; it does appear to be searchable as well https://www.logos.com/product/4951/gottingen-septuagint

The reality is, most of the benefits of each program are going to quickly added to the other. I believe Logos was the first to integrate with the Perseus collection, now also available via Accordance, etc. 

What is most beneficial, is finding out what the professors and other students use at your doctoral institution. No one has the time to master everything about a software program. It is always helpful to have others around you who can help you problem solve with the same software. 

Also, I am a sucker for Logos's free book of the month. While at times they are devotional books aimed at the pastors who use the software, I have scored free Anchor Bible and Hermeneia commentaries. 

I have BibleWorks, because I'm too poor to be able to afford all the texts included on BibleWorks through Accordance or Logos. In terms of value, it's hard to beat BibleWorks for the amount of texts included with the program at its price.

If I had to choose between Logos and Accordance, I'd go with Logos simply because it has more available texts. I'm a NT person, so having access to tagged Loeb Classical sets would be amazing, but Accordance doesn't have the Loeb volumes, nor do they plan on adding them (last I heard). Also, I don't think they have the Perseus texts except through a built-in web browser. I'm almost certain you can download the Perseus texts for free through Logos so that they're searchable.

3 hours ago, sacklunch said:

Because my research is primarily in the ancient translations of the HB/OT, I also own all the available Göttingen Septuagint modules (see below!).

You must be getting a nice stipend.

Joking aside, I've lusted after it for a while, but the $300 Pentateuch is a bit of a deal breaker. Still, if I were going to do a ton of LXX criticism...

Edited by Almaqah Thwn

5 hours ago, Hopeless_Academic said:

I have BibleWorks, because I'm too poor to be able to afford all the texts included on BibleWorks through Accordance or Logos. In terms of value, it's hard to beat BibleWorks for the amount of texts included with the program at its price.

If I had to choose between Logos and Accordance, I'd go with Logos simply because it has more available texts. I'm a NT person, so having access to tagged Loeb Classical sets would be amazing, but Accordance doesn't have the Loeb volumes, nor do they plan on adding them (last I heard). Also, I don't think they have the Perseus texts except through a built-in web browser. I'm almost certain you can download the Perseus texts for free through Logos so that they're searchable.

Oh wow, nice! I didn't realize Logos had the Loeb volumes. On the other hand, most universities have free access to TLG which is far more expansive and includes tagging with a variety of dictionaries (esp. specialized dictionaries like Trapp). I have only ever used Perseus when TLG is down. In any case, thanks for the info; I'll have to check out Logos at SBL. 

• 3 years later...