Making the most of program visits

Zaphod2020

Hello forum,

With a few acceptances under my belt and, by extension, visiting days on my calendar, I've started to wonder how I can make the most of my upcoming visits. As I imagine many applicants are at this stage of the decision making process, I figured it'd be helpful to start a thread about it!

Here are a few of my questions for current applicants, veteran program visitors, and hosts alike:

1. What can you learn from a visit that you cannot learn from other resources?
  2. How can you get a decent read on a town/city in the space of 1 or 2 days?

These are intended simply as general discussion questions. Any advice or inquiry is welcome.

Edited by Zaphod2020

I have already made my first visit.   I was already familiar with the area so I had been there before.   Meeting people and seeing the department (offices, classrooms, buildings) is the main benefit.  You can easily get all your questions answered pretty quickly and see if you really could see yourself attending there.  I wouldn't memorize a bunch of CVs and read articles for the entire department but going over the websites of your POIs previsit is a good idea.  

For future applicants considering a preapplication visit don’t do it.    I really don’t recommend visiting your first choice (even if the visit is paid for and you were nearby) until you are accepted unless you can handle falling in love and (potentially) being rejected.  I regret visiting Baylor early because now I can’t stop thinking about how much I love it and worrying over my decision.  I have waited four months almost post visit and even though I have 5 other acceptances and don’t care about my other two outstanding results waiting for my first choice has consumed me. 

Edited by Bayesian1701