How to pay for Advanced Standing MSW tuition

LexSWRK

Question

Does anyone know how financial aid in grad school works? I went all through undergrad with not having to take out loans because financial aid covered all of it (i attend sac state). I was wondering if the same can happen for grad school? 

Is anyone in the advanced standing msw program that can tell me how financial aid goes for them? Or anyone in the regular 2 yr msw program. I've noticed that advanced standing programs are roughly 17,000  for the one year. Is it possible for financial aid to cover all of that with just grants?? 

3 answers to this question

By financial aid, you mean you paid for all of your undergrad with grants?  Or did you have scholarships too?  I had the Pell Grant and Oregon opportunity grant and still had to take out federal loans at Portland State  University, which is a pretty affordable school in-state.

Many private grad schools give a lot of scholarships, and additionally there are scholarships you can apply for, but there are different dates and obligations for many of them.

You can take out usually up to $20,500 in federal loans per year (Pell Grant can't be used in Grad School, you'll just be relying on scholarships), and if you need more you can apply for credit-based (or co-signed) GradPLUS loans.  I'd read the financial aid info on all the schools you're applying for, as many of them offer different types of aid.

I'm in the same boat. It depends what graduate school you're attending. I would contact the financial aid office and ask about scholarships and what the application process is. At my school there's no scholarship applications, they just award scholarships based on merit or financial need (from FAFSA information). I am assuming whatever scholarships I get as an advanced standing student will not cover the tuition in it's entirety, so I will most likely be taking out federal loans. My school would be around 15k for the year w/o scholarships.

@CelestialJenkins     yeah i'm vey lucky to be debt free with undergrad. And I don't have any scholarships, their all grants from financial aid. I get two Cal Grants and the Pell grant. so it covers everything and gives me money left over to pay for housing and other things. which is why i'm worried about grad school now because i was thankful to have undergrad covered since my parents don't make much.