Shorter Term Job

E-P

So, this is mostly just me venting.  I've been in the corporate world since 2004, and am a well-respected manager.  Unfortunately, my last company went out of business last June, and I've been applying everywhere ever since.

I'm at the point where I'm six months away from starting my program, my unemployment benefits are gone, and I'd really like to do something besides pet the cats and watch X-Files and apply for jobs.  I get interviews at about 10% of the jobs I apply to (which, evidently, is good odds), and they just don't go past the phone interview.  I'm not advertising the fact that I'm leaving in six months, so I honestly don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

So, for my fellow Fall 2018 cohort: What are you doing to fill in the job gap between now and then...and how did you find it?

Edited by E-P
More helpful.

I've been holding down multiple part-time jobs, one of which I found through a temp agency. I'm applying for paid summer fellowships (there are a lot out there if you do your research), and if it comes down to it, I'll increase one of my jobs to full-time in the evenings/weekends and use my mornings to volunteer at another organization to get my foot in the door/do something more aligned to my career. I've also been actively networking, which might prove useful if the fellowships don't pan out, but is also just a good way to keep on top of things in the field.

15 hours ago, rising_star said:

Have you considered temp agencies? Looking for work dog/cat sitting or dog walking? It's not consistent or regular but it would definitely give you something to do and some income, plus it's very flexible. 

Bizarrely enough, I've signed up with a couple of temp agencies and a bunch of recruiters.  I was contacted about one assignment, but not ultimately selected for it.  I'm assuming that I'm in the "overqualified" bucket, but man, it's disheartening to be rejected for a proofreading gig.

That hurts, but I wouldn't take it too personally. There are a lot of applicants, but also a lot of jobs. The advice I got was to stay on top of my temp agency because people get lost in the shuffle. Keep on their radar, be nice and professional, be specific about what you're looking for, and treat interviews/meetings (with the agency as well as prospective employers) as though you're going in for a job you actually care about. I hope this helps if you end up going down the temp route!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 10:26 PM, E-P said:

So, this is mostly just me venting.  I've been in the corporate world since 2004, and am a well-respected manager.  Unfortunately, my last company went out of business last June, and I've been applying everywhere ever since.

I'm at the point where I'm six months away from starting my program, my unemployment benefits are gone, and I'd really like to do something besides pet the cats and watch X-Files and apply for jobs.  I get interviews at about 10% of the jobs I apply to (which, evidently, is good odds), and they just don't go past the phone interview.  I'm not advertising the fact that I'm leaving in six months, so I honestly don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

So, for my fellow Fall 2018 cohort: What are you doing to fill in the job gap between now and then...and how did you find it?

I'm in a super similar circumstance, worked at the same company from '09 until this past november when big layoffs started.  I was already in the process of applying anyhow, and obviously was hoping to leave soon, but it still hurt, and has put stuff in a bit of a bad way.  

My advice (assuming you don't mind burning your short-term bosses, and that you were not working in government) is think of who the major competitors are to your former employer and apply for positions within those businesses.  My experience is that moving to the other side of a rivalry can certainly make you resume jump to the top of the pile.  Apply directly to the company if possible, without intermediaries.  

I see you already have a couple acceptances, congratulations!