Horrible to pay for your ph.d

nervoustudent

I have a family member that could likely get off the wait list at a top program if they agreed to pay the tuition. He says this would be a tremendous black mark on him his entire career. He has the funding so it would not be a painful thing for him other than to his ego. Is this really true? is it worse to give up a dream  ? I don't know the academic world well as I am in an entirely different field.

any help/comments/advice would be appreciated. the program is in the top 6 in his field.

thank you

The refrain I've heard from professors for years is to not go anywhere that won't fund you. It is my understanding that this is for the purpose of debt avoidance. No one should have to take out even more student loans to do graduate study. That said, if someone has the personal financial means to pay for tuition AND live reasonably comfortably during school AND hopefully be able to support him/herself after graduation (when the job market is very uncertain)... only in that scenario would it ever be advisable to go somewhere that won't fund you.

I also understand your family member's reluctance to pay, though, even if he does have the means to do so. If a department won't fund you, that may send the message that they are prioritizing other students, for whatever reason. Also, not going this round is not necessarily giving up a dream. I have seen a number of people around the GradCafe forums apply twice or even three times. He may be able to take the year to improve his application and go in strong for a funded program next year.

Not having funding certainly isn't a black mark on him his entire career.  No one would know he doesn't have funding except for himself, and you wouldnt put that on your resume once you graduate. It'd say PhD from XXXX, funding or no funding. So that is certainly a strange line of thinking.

That being said, he doesn't have to give up his dream. I would highly recommend he apply again next year and get more research experience this year. It's not worth it to fund your own PhD when you should be getting paid.

I agree with Sanskriti. I had no acceptances first try, directly out of undergrad. In my second try, I've gotten a few offers already, and waiting on the other universities before making my final decision. Is your family member applying directly out of undergrad? Taking a year off isn't going to hurt them.

I've always been told by professors not to take an unfunded position. While it is a debt thing, my professors were also of the opinion that the department didn't think highly enough of me to admit me if all they could offer was an unfunded position. While opinions may vary around the reasons why you don't take an unfunded position, its almost universal that you shouldn't accept an unfunded offer.