How to be competitive for post docs?

clinpsych99

I am currently in a PhD clinical psychology program in Canada and although I love my clinical work, I am really interested in pursuing a career in academia. I have heard mixed messages from people in the field about what is required in order to attain a competitive post doc after graduation, and ultimately, a tenure-track position. I am wondering if anyone has received advice from advisers, post-docs, or other mentors, about what is the requirement in order to be successful in achieving a post-doc position. For example, number of publications (any and first author)/ posters, or experiences that are really necessary in order to achieve these positions. My adviser has been helpful in getting me involved with projects to get as many publications as possible, but I really want to know how many manuscripts do I need to be putting out before I am done graduate school, or will I ever know if I have done enough?

There's really no minimum number of publications. That is, one person may be able to get a postdoc with 2 single author publications for reasons going beyond the sheer number of publications (e.g., research fit, research skills, etc.). To really get a sense, take a look at the CVs of those recently graduated in the field who are holding positions like what you want to hold.

Sometimes postdocs are not advertised well or at all so networking can be a key component to securing one.  So attending conferences, presenting your research, getting to know faculty outside of your school, etc. can be really helpful on the job market.  Also use your dissertation committee and their networks to the best of your ability.  They may be aware of additional opportunities/research groups/grants that may be of interest.

In terms of preparation - I would just keep doing what you are doing to secure a TT position.  Oh, and also have a viable plan B in case you are not successful in your first round on the job market. 

• 4 weeks later...

I came across this via academic Twitter the other day. It is the only concrete answer to the "how many pubs is enough, and how bad is the job market, really?" question that I have found. Pro: It's Canadian! Con: It's for cognitive psych positions, not clinical research, but I imagine it's still very relevant to you. https://psyarxiv.com/mxa35