Hi @BeckieMSWFall2018! Did you get into CSUDH's 2018 MSW Program? I did and here's some of my info:

Graduated with a BS in Criminal Justice in 2012 from CSULA, cumulative GPA was 2.99. I had several undergrad internships/jobs including working with foster children and special needs adults. I've been working in the homeless services field ever since graduation. 

Applied to CSUDH and CSULB 3 year part time program: 12/01/17

Acceptance email from CSUDH: 2/21/18.

They gave me until March 7 to sign a Statement of Commitment so I reached out to CSULB and was very honest about needing a decision by March 7. Their director reached out to me immediately and told me my application was in the final stage of review and they would have an answer very soon. The next day, she called me to give me what she called an 'unofficial official' acceptance.

Acceptance email from CSULB: 2/26/18.

Now, I have the scary task of choosing which program I want to attend! I jumped the gun and sent my CSUDH Statement of Commitment already since I'm leaning toward the smaller, intimate program. But I've heard and read amazing stuff about the CSULB program. I'm torn. I'll be going to both campuses in a few days to check out the vibes/parking/classes. CSULB email is giving me 10 days to return their Statement of Commitment. Do you have any ideas or thoughts? What are your some of your stats and how has your journey been applying for MSW Programs?

On 2/28/2018 at 8:49 PM, Pchiran said:

Hi @BeckieMSWFall2018! Did you get into CSUDH's 2018 MSW Program? I did and here's some of my info:

Graduated with a BS in Criminal Justice in 2012 from CSULA, cumulative GPA was 2.99. I had several undergrad internships/jobs including working with foster children and special needs adults. I've been working in the homeless services field ever since graduation. 

Applied to CSUDH and CSULB 3 year part time program: 12/01/17

Acceptance email from CSUDH: 2/21/18.

They gave me until March 7 to sign a Statement of Commitment so I reached out to CSULB and was very honest about needing a decision by March 7. Their director reached out to me immediately and told me my application was in the final stage of review and they would have an answer very soon. The next day, she called me to give me what she called an 'unofficial official' acceptance.

Acceptance email from CSULB: 2/26/18.

Now, I have the scary task of choosing which program I want to attend! I jumped the gun and sent my CSUDH Statement of Commitment already since I'm leaning toward the smaller, intimate program. But I've heard and read amazing stuff about the CSULB program. I'm torn. I'll be going to both campuses in a few days to check out the vibes/parking/classes. CSULB email is giving me 10 days to return their Statement of Commitment. Do you have any ideas or thoughts? What are your some of your stats and how has your journey been applying for MSW Programs?

Here are my stats. I copied and pasted them from another page I'd asked for peoples advice on. You have A LOT of experience, that's great! YOU GOT IN! CONGRATS! When did you turn in all your apps? I may call Long Beach later this week and ask, but I'm afraid of seeming pushy since I haven't been accepted anywhere and don't have that pressing matter lol. I'm mostly going by what's more convenient for me right now because I'll be able to make the best of whatever program I'll get into. My top pick is Long Beach, it's close-ish to home, beautiful campus and I hear the campus culture is really accepting and communal, which I appreciate. Applying for grad school has kind of been a whirlwind. I had a great job with a wraparound program, but I started passing out randomly, lost my license, and therefore lost my job. After I got medically cleared, they wouldn't hire me back on because even though it had only been a week, I was now a liability in their eyes... I got a great paying temp job, but they wanted to hire someone else and I was let go the day before Thanksgiving. I decided I would apply to grad school then instead of wasting another year. So here I am, with my unusually last-minute applications. I also graduated September 2017. How was your journey to grad apps?

"I had a 3.313 from UCI in Psychology and Social Behavior, and a 3.28 at my community college. My last 60 units were all at UCI, so 3.313 is my last 60 units. I want to work with child protective services, then move onto found my own wraparound program, my passion is with the kiddos. 

I have just under a year of experience with special needs with respite care, 8 or so years of experience with children, 7 months of experience with at-risk youth, and 4 years of experience at a home for abused women and children. I was also part of an honor fraternity if that matters at all.

I currently work in accounting, just something to pay the bills, but a skill I also believe to be an important aspect "to social work as it utilizes organization, management and office skills. Hope to hear from you all soon. " 

That’s awesome on deciding to apply for grad school @BeckieMSWFall2018. Good for you! I turned in all my apps the first week of December and was super happy to hear from DH rather quickly. I was even more surprised that LB gave me a response so quickly when I asked. If I were you I would just send an email to inquire about your application status. I emailed CHHS-SW@csulb.edu and heard back within the hour from the director. I really hope you get the good news, my fingers are crossed. Let us know!

On 3/2/2018 at 1:45 PM, ivan8806 said:

Hi there!

Congratulations for getting in and positive vibes for those hearing back. I'm a 2nd year MSW in the Part-Time program, if you have any questions, reach out.

- Ivan

Hey @ivan8806!

How’s the DH part time program going? Have you started your internship hours yet? I’m really torn between LB or DH, but leaning closer to DH. Do you mind sharing your first year experience so far? Classes, faculty, program culture/vibes, placement process? All info is really appreciated! 

-Puzant

On 3/2/2018 at 11:18 AM, Jessica Steen said:

Just curious how you got a hold of them? 

I got accepted into CSUDH and they are asking that I reply by the 14th, but I would like to know what my chances of getting into CSULB look like. I also got a email from Fullerton asking me to come in for a interview. 

Congrats on DH & interview at Fullerton @Jessica Steen!!! I contacted LB through CHHS-SW@csulb.edu.

Let us know how your interview goes and if you hear back from LB :-)

-Puzant

21 hours ago, Pchiran said:

That’s awesome on deciding to apply for grad school @BeckieMSWFall2018. Good for you! I turned in all my apps the first week of December and was super happy to hear from DH rather quickly. I was even more surprised that LB gave me a response so quickly when I asked. If I were you I would just send an email to inquire about your application status. I emailed CHHS-SW@csulb.edu and heard back within the hour from the director. I really hope you get the good news, my fingers are crossed. Let us know!

I don't want to bother but I may have to ask just to calm my nerves. I've been checking just about every day. Can I ask what you asked in your email so I can tailor it and make sure it's polite but not pushy?

3 hours ago, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

I don't want to bother but I may have to ask just to calm my nerves. I've been checking just about every day. Can I ask what you asked in your email so I can tailor it and make sure it's polite but not pushy?

No worries. In my email I stated my name and school ID number and I told them that I have already been accepted into another program and would need to respond to them with a Statement of Commitment by 3/7/18. I said "I am wondering if there is a possibility of receiving a decision by your program before that date so that I may make my decision?" Hope that works for you, Good luck

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, Pchiran said:

Hey @ivan8806!

How’s the DH part time program going? Have you started your internship hours yet? I’m really torn between LB or DH, but leaning closer to DH. Do you mind sharing your first year experience so far? Classes, faculty, program culture/vibes, placement process? All info is really appreciated! 

-Puzant

Hi there!

I'm enjoying the part-time program, given that I'm also actively involved in the MSW organization within the department. Basically your first year you take 3 classes; both fall and spring semesters and 2 in the summer. You do internships in years 2 and 3. 1st year internship hours are 488 for the year, then 540 for the 2nd internship, totaling of 1028 hours. I'm finishing up my 2nd year, after this semester, I have 2 last graded courses then just focus on my thesis and 2nd internship in year 3. Your first year you are just taking your foundation year classes, they are manageable. There has been a disconnect between the 2 year full time cohorts with 3 year part time cohorts however the cohesion has been improved. However each cohort has their own friendly and supportive culture. When you get placed for your first internship (foundation), you just fill out an application where you put your details on what population you want to work with, your skills, strengths, etc. Then you get reffered by faculty for interviews. For 2nd year placement (Concentration) you pick 2 agencies and you interview with both and then you get matched depending if both the agency and you want to work together. Let me know if you have any other questions, reach out.

6 hours ago, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

I just got rejected from Long Beach as well.... still waiting to hear from DH and Fullerton though :\

Maybe email or call them? I’ve been unofficially accepted to Fullerton, so that’s probably where I’ll end up going. I’m sure you’re going to get into them. Keep your head up 

Congrats @StephVMSW! I am awaiting a decision from CSUDH, I applied to the extended program. Wondering if you got notified by mail or email? Also did you get an email from the department letting you know that they got all your supplemental material and now your application is being reviewed? I recieved that email only last week so wondering how much longer I might have to wait.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:23 AM, UttaraN said:

Congrats @StephVMSW! I am awaiting a decision from CSUDH, I applied to the extended program. Wondering if you got notified by mail or email? Also did you get an email from the department letting you know that they got all your supplemental material and now your application is being reviewed? I recieved that email only last week so wondering how much longer I might have to wait.

ill message you 

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2018 at 9:46 PM, StephVMSW said:

Hello everyone, 

i just found this thread, but I wanted to share that I have been admitted to CSUDH’s MSW 2 year program. Super excited to meet those who’ve also decided on CSUDH! 

Hi! I’ve also been accepted to CSUDH MSW. I’m ecstatic to say the very least. I’m curious about the process! Hope we could keep in touch :) 

2 hours ago, MSWCSUDH2018 said:

Hi! I’ve also been accepted to CSUDH MSW. I’m ecstatic to say the very least. I’m curious about the process! Hope we could keep in touch :)

Hi, I'm stephanie! Congrats on your acceptance! Yes, I'm looking forward to meeting you. :) What is your concentration, if you don't mind me asking? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! I haven’t posted in here in a while and I hope everyone is doing great. I’m getting more and more excited about staying the MSW program in the fall. I’m pumped about orientation on Aug 8 too.

Anybody have dates on when we officially start classes? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 9:46 PM, StephVMSW said:

Hello everyone, 

i just found this thread, but I wanted to share that I have been admitted to CSUDH’s MSW 2 year program. Super excited to meet those who’ve also decided on CSUDH! 

Came across this thread ! And just wanted to say that I have also been accepted to CSUDH MSW 2 Year program, really looking forward in meeting you guys in the fall ! :) 

I applied to CSULA, CSUF, and CSUDH MSW programs. Fortunately, I got accepted to all MSW programs :) CSUDH was the first acceptance letter I received, and went ahead to give them my statement of commitment letter for CSUDH. 

On 5/30/2018 at 2:28 AM, ETMSW18 said:

Came across this thread ! And just wanted to say that I have also been accepted to CSUDH MSW 2 Year program, really looking forward in meeting you guys in the fall ! :) 

I applied to CSULA, CSUF, and CSUDH MSW programs. Fortunately, I got accepted to all MSW programs :) CSUDH was the first acceptance letter I received, and went ahead to give them my statement of commitment letter for CSUDH. 

Congrats!!! You'll love DH, I went there for my undergrad and I loved it. Congrats on getting accepted on all the schools you applied to. If you don't mind me asking, what made you go with DH?

On 5/21/2018 at 10:44 AM, Pchiran said:

Hi guys! I haven’t posted in here in a while and I hope everyone is doing great. I’m getting more and more excited about staying the MSW program in the fall. I’m pumped about orientation on Aug 8 too.

Anybody have dates on when we officially start classes? 

Hi There! :)
So I know that we have out field placement orientation on Monday August 27. My guess is that we start class on August 28th, as we would be attending classes Tuesdays and Thursdays. I', so excited to start this journey with all of you at DH. :)