NYC stipend

Imenol

Hello,

I have been offered a place at Columbia for the following year. However, as an international student, I am not really sure how affordable it is to live in NYC on a PhD stipend. These are the conditions of my offer:

* A stipend of $29,350 during the academic year for up to five years.
* A summer stipend of $3,772 for five years, to be disbursed after the first year of enrollment.
* The Gold-level insurance premium for the Columbia Student Medical Insurance Plan, as well as half of the Gold-level insurance premium for any eligible dependent

Do you think this would be enough to live in NYC without getting into debt? Thanks for the help

Hi Imenol.  If you don't mind room/apartment sharing and you don't have an extravagant lifestyle then it's a very livable stipend.  If you've already decided on attending look into both on campus/off campus housing with the University's facilities/housing office. 

5 hours ago, Imenol said:

Hello,

I have been offered a place at Columbia for the following year. However, as an international student, I am not really sure how affordable it is to live in NYC on a PhD stipend. These are the conditions of my offer:

* A stipend of $29,350 during the academic year for up to five years.
* A summer stipend of $3,772 for five years, to be disbursed after the first year of enrollment.
* The Gold-level insurance premium for the Columbia Student Medical Insurance Plan, as well as half of the Gold-level insurance premium for any eligible dependent

Do you think this would be enough to live in NYC without getting into debt? Thanks for the help

I have the exactly same package and based on correspondence with current students, it's very doable. :) I am also an international student~

Edited by AnUglyBoringNerd

• 2 weeks later...

Super livable. I got my PhD at Columbia and my stipend was pretty comparable to that. You will need a roommate or roommates and will need to choose an affordable neighborhood to live in. If you go through the university housing you can live in Morningside Heights, nearby Columbia; if you choose an off-campus apartment that neighborhood will likely be out of your reach, and neighborhoods like Harlem and Washington Heights will be more affordable.